Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Creating a fluid metagame through the use of banlists

brainard52
    brainard52
    Uncommon

Chaotic Username : brainard52
    Chaotic Coins : 89

Creating a fluid metagame through the use of banlists Empty Creating a fluid metagame through the use of banlists

Post by brainard52 Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:29 pm

I've not really played much recently, but I'm certain the stale metagame is probably pretty suffocating. I propose that we, as a community, choose to abide by a community-maintained banlist. The point of the banlist is not to prevent oppressive decks and strategies as it normally is. Instead, we ban things in order to create a fun environment. What do you all think?

If we were to do this, we would suggest cards to be banned along with the period for which they're banned and a reason for the banning.

For example (an example only, not a representation of the metagame):
    I propose that we ban Maxxor, Protector of Perim for three months. I believe that with the banning of this card, Mippedian Warbeast decks would have the chance in the metagame bringing them from tier 2 to tier 1.

We would then conduct voting for an undecided period. I don't know how active the community is, so I have a hard time of knowing how long it would take before we have a good sample of votes. I believe testing in sparing amounts could be fruitful. However, do too much testing and it's possible to crack the metagame before it's even implemented.

The banlist would be a rolling release. Each card that has been chosen to be banned would be banned on the first day of the following month. In turn, each card that is at the end of it's ban term would be un-banned on the first of the month.

EDIT:
    I think that, if we were to do this, we'd also need a list of oppressive cards. These would not follow the same model as the other list.

Last edited by brainard52 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
    lazerbem
    lazerbem
    Super Rare

Chaotic Username : lazerbem
    Chaotic Coins : 596

Creating a fluid metagame through the use of banlists Empty Re: Creating a fluid metagame through the use of banlists

Post by lazerbem Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:37 pm

I don't think banning outright would quite work. Perhaps limiting. There's no real card in Chaotic that's incredibly overpowering. Debatably Zamool and Najarin FF, but Zamool folds pitifully if the deck is anti-burn and Najarin FF is taken care of by SCRs and Deadwater Devastation.

Perhaps tiers would be an idea, but even then, given that Chaotic doesn't really have much in the way of ultra-search engines, even an Aa'une deck could beat a top tier invisibility strike deck with some good draws.
    KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Chaotic Username : KingMaxor4
    Chaotic Coins : 2744

Creating a fluid metagame through the use of banlists Empty Re: Creating a fluid metagame through the use of banlists

Post by KingMaxxor4 Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:37 pm

The metagame has actually changed alot since when the site went down. I don't think a ban list is really a necessity at the moment. 

But if we do, I firstly propose a Tarterek Psi ban. Because he is a single suppresser of M'arrillian master decks.
    brainard52
    brainard52
    Uncommon

Chaotic Username : brainard52
    Chaotic Coins : 89

Post by brainard52 Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:39 pm

lazerbem wrote:I don't think banning outright would quite work. Perhaps limiting. There's no real card in Chaotic that's incredibly overpowering. Debatably Zamool and Najarin FF, but Zamool folds pitifully if the deck is anti-burn and Najarin FF is taken care of by SCRs and Deadwater Devastation.

Perhaps tiers would be an idea, but even then, given that Chaotic doesn't really have much in the way of ultra-search engines, even an Aa'une deck could beat a top tier invisibility strike deck with some good draws.

The problem with limiting is that it increases the luck aspect of the game. We do not want that. We want a fair game that allows people to show skill while playing around the luck that the game and cards were initially designed to have.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am