Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
NightWing
RedShadow
Battle95
brainard52
ElementalDraco218
Chiodosin1
Blitser
bobosmith01
Overworld Rider
MugeMaster15
Remztan
CSpacian
16 posters

Chaotic Portal Backup

KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Chaotic Username : KingMaxor4
    Chaotic Coins : 2744

Chaotic Portal Backup Empty Chaotic Portal Backup

Post by KingMaxxor4 Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:14 am

Its live at https://chaoticbackup.github.io or you can use the header links. Enjoy!

And the fun begins! I will actually be working on something this time. I know the tech stack and I will produce the portal even if it prevents me from playing video games in my spare time!!!!

I am looking for people who are interested in front end design (basically how it looks) using html and css stylesheets.

I'll post a readme on how to get the server running locally. (The preferred dev environment is linux based, cause setting up node servers on windows is annoying Tongue). Oh actually I think if I dockerize the application anyone can run it (providing they have docker installed - again easier on linux).

Again this is in really early development so you won't be seeing a working portal for a while. If you're interested in contributing (talking to any devs) I'll be looking forward to reviewing PRs.

https://github.com/chaoticbackup/chaoticbackup.github.io

First Edit: Nothing yet added to the repo, its all local will push once have a working back end.

Second Edit: changed repo url and added stuff

Last edited by Marrillian on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
    KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Chaotic Portal Backup Empty Re: Chaotic Portal Backup

Post by KingMaxxor4 Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:20 am

On this note, I'm really interested in getting a working nav bar. I'll have to look into how the animations were done... oh boy
    CSpacian
    CSpacian
    Rare

Chaotic Username : CSpacian
    Chaotic Coins : 351

Post by CSpacian Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:30 pm

I have some skills in website design and would be willing to help out in what I can. I am starting school though this week, so I'll probably drop off the radar.
    I usually just toil around with Twitter Bootstrap or Wordpress though as I find those easiest (I prefer Bootstrap for the freedom).
    As for the navbar, the simplest way to get a navbar would probably just be to use an Image Map and map it to the current one. Oh, or just use Javascript, despite learning how to do some of it this summer I keep forgetting how great of a tool it is.

Um, a quick attempt at a navbar lead me to design something like this:
    https://jsfiddle.net/shbjk/56/
    You need to load unsafe scripts though to get the full effect. It just creates a color change when you hover over the buttons. Its a bit more dynamic. The color's just temporary and a leftover from another project and I'm too lazy to change it now. It uses Javascript called Imagemapster as well as an Image Map.
    KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Post by KingMaxxor4 Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:25 pm

Hmm I didn't think of an image map. I know I had a base image of the nav bar (without the items filled in). But its not really important atm. I'll keep that jsfiddle in mind if I actually get around to it. Cause I would also need to find said base image and see how to create the animation on hover (and get it to not rely on unsafe scripts haah) Really cool job though.

Ok so I have the repo committed. Pls don't touch the backend at this time. But feel free to go ham on the front end (anything in the public folder). Do you know how to use angularjs? If not just pretend the pages are just html. Ignore links and loading data atm as yeah I still have lots of work to do in le back end. I'll try to work on the angular part and stub some data sets so we can have some populated pages for demo purposes.

TLDR, no data, make pages pretty (aka like the old portal). I'm fine with bootstrap if you can maintain original style.
    Link to css: https://web.archive.org/web/20071215103922/http://www.chaoticgame.com/css/portaltoperim/portaltoperim.css

I just realized something. I don't have a copy of the portal... I kick myself for not saving the webpages html.
    CSpacian
    CSpacian
    Rare

Chaotic Username : CSpacian
    Chaotic Coins : 351

Post by CSpacian Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:39 am

Image mapping isn't used very much and is often times discouraged I've found as it creates a bit of confusion so its understandable to ignore it.

Ah, sadly I'm only really halfway competent with html and css, no angularjs skills here.

Maintaining the old style will be a little bit difficult as I can't remember what the old style was that much (The Portal to Perim was never updated on the old site), but I can probably recreate it to a certain degree just using the HTML code and CSS although I would've preferred a picture to work off of. I can't get to it today and tomorrow (School just started up for me), but I'll try and hammer something workable out over the weekend.
    KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Post by KingMaxxor4 Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:58 pm

lol, I guess I'm stuck without a reference point...

bobosmith01 Linked it!
    http://web.archive.org/web/20090610065049/http://portal.chaoticgame.com/perim/index.html

Care, there is no styling, I repeat no styling hahaha glad I had that css page linked Tongue

I guess we can just copy the html structure from this. I'll have to set up the recursive nature of loading data using angular Tongue Scrub web developer in the house.

So here's what you can do. Make a 1 page for each catagory (ie): home, all, attacks, battlegear, creatures, locations, mugic. Because once the templates are done, with some angular stuff I'll populate the information per page (you can just choose a set of text for testing purposes atm). I'll also have to make an admin page for uploading data ew...

Its our job to figure out how the pages looked from the clues left behind (ie stylesheet and html page).

You do know how to use github correct? I'll be following the PR workflow for this project.

Ps, I changed location of repository
    Remztan
    Remztan
    newb

Chaotic Username : Player
    Chaotic Coins : 1

Post by Remztan Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:06 am

The header was actually Flash based Smile Today it would probably be built with HTML5.
    MugeMaster15
    MugeMaster15
    Common

Chaotic Username : TheLostMuge
    Chaotic Coins : 3

Post by MugeMaster15 Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:47 pm

I would be interested in helping out sure lets do it
    KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Post by KingMaxxor4 Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Yeah I've been looking into redoing the header with html5. Image maps look pretty straightfoward.
    Overworld Rider
    Overworld Rider
    Uncommon

Chaotic Username : Michald98
    Chaotic Coins : 41

Post by Overworld Rider Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:52 am

Sorry I'm new to all this so I'm going to sound like a n00b but what would the portal be?
    bobosmith01
    bobosmith01
    Super Rare

Chaotic Username : Alexrayboy
    Chaotic Coins : 289

Post by bobosmith01 Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:54 pm

The "Portal to Perim" on the actual old chaotic site was pretty much a collection of quite a few Creatures, Mugic, Battlegear, Locations, etc., and listed some information about them. I assume this is just a recreation thereof.
    Overworld Rider
    Overworld Rider
    Uncommon

Chaotic Username : Michald98
    Chaotic Coins : 41

Post by Overworld Rider Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:54 pm

ohhhh yeah I remember that, that would be pretty cool. Damn I really miss Chaotic though, I've been spending a decent amount of money buying new cards cause I can't seem to find my old ones which were probably thrown out when I moved when i was younger.
    KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Post by KingMaxxor4 Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:49 pm

I've put this project on hold due to other obligations sorry.
    bobosmith01
    bobosmith01
    Super Rare

Post by bobosmith01 Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:57 pm

It's fine.
    Besides, the content is all there, right? No worries.
    Blitser
    Blitser
    Marrillian

Chaotic Username : Blitser
    Chaotic Coins : 425

Post by Blitser Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:36 am

bobosmith01 wrote:It's fine.
    Besides, the content is all there, right? No worries.

Yes, that's correct. I will continue to function as a living PtP for the forums until the day me and Marr can pick this project up again.
    Chiodosin1
    Chiodosin1
    Ultra Rare

Chaotic Username : Chiodosin1
    Chaotic Coins : 1095

Post by Chiodosin1 Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:18 am

man I wish I knew anything about programming I cause I certainly know a lot about chaotic cards oh well
    ElementalDraco218
    ElementalDraco218
    Rare

Chaotic Username : Draco218
    Chaotic Coins : 245

Post by ElementalDraco218 Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:45 pm

how do you get it to work
    KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Post by KingMaxxor4 Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:43 pm

As of now it doesn't, sorry. I'll try to get it to a working state and then update the readme for setting it up running locally.
    brainard52
    brainard52
    Uncommon

Chaotic Username : brainard52
    Chaotic Coins : 89

Post by brainard52 Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Heh. CSS Stylesheets. ATM Machine. Anyway, good luck. When you decide to get hosting, let me know. I know of a few good places. At the very least, avoid GoDaddy.
    KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Post by KingMaxxor4 Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:54 pm

No, I'm not working on this yet, but:
    This website has some screenshots of the old portal to perim, can use as a reference maybe!
    http://www.bashbang.com/projects/chaoticgame-com/

Also thank you internet!:
    http://chaotic.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Portal_To_Perim
    All the images and texts for some of the portal (although I think Blits has this info?)
    Blitser
    Blitser
    Marrillian

Post by Blitser Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:27 am

Marrillian wrote:No, I'm not working on this yet, but:
    This website has some screenshots of the old portal to perim, can use as a reference maybe!
    http://www.bashbang.com/projects/chaoticgame-com/

Also thank you internet!:
    http://chaotic.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Portal_To_Perim
    All the images and texts for some of the portal (although I think Blits has this info?)

That is correct. I have all the card art and lore that was contained in the original portal and then some. Smile

The fact that the information isn't available to the public right now is why I wanted to start this project with you in the first place actually. As much as I love a good chance to flex my trivia muscles, I think it would be for the best if people had a proper resource for learning about the lore of Chaotic.
    KingMaxxor4
    KingMaxxor4
    Marrillian

Post by KingMaxxor4 Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Would you by any chance have screen shots of the portal?

I'm looking at starting this up as soon as next Friday.

Now here I'm getting into logistics. Using github pages, I can host this for free (there is a 1gb limit, But I don't believe we'll be hitting that assuming images aren't huge!). The downside is that, it isn't a server, so everything will be front-loaded to user requests. Meaning longer load times for slower connections (but most people won't be affected).
    Blitser
    Blitser
    Marrillian

Post by Blitser Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:49 pm

I'd prefer to modernize the portal section rather than go for a recreation personally. Especially since we'll have more resources to add than what the original portal contained.

I'd suggest we could put it up as a forum poll for a while and see what everyone prefers.
    bobosmith01
    bobosmith01
    Super Rare

Post by bobosmith01 Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:14 pm

I'd be down for an update, as long as canon info is the only the there. Perhaps a section for the creatures that actually HAVE remotely substantial canon info.
    Blitser
    Blitser
    Marrillian

Post by Blitser Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:39 pm

Oh trust me, if anything even approaches theorycraft it will be clearly marked as such. And not to sound rude, but it would also be coming from me rather than the kids who edit the Chaotic wiki with total nonsense.

I really don't want to see misinformation spread throughout this community even further.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm