Chaotic Backup Forum

Show your support. Boost our moral. Don't just browse, log in.

King's Royal Chaotic Backup

Chaotic Portal Development

Marrillian
    Marrillian

Chaotic Username : KingMaxor4
    Chaotic Coins : 2393

Re: Chaotic Portal Development

Post by Marrillian on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Yeah since this isn't a wiki but a controlled environment, we won't have the issue of unreviewed material being published - no 'fake news' as the media would put it XD

Blits if we're going for something new, I need concept art to work off of. I'll start tackling the data itself for now, but I'm not a UX person.

===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====
    Founder and leader of Marrillian Reign. Marrillian
    Supporter of Maxxor Ruler of Perim

Light vi Britannia - 
    "This is what happens when I take an anime personality quiz..."
    Marrillian
    Marrillian

Post by Marrillian on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:22 pm

I've begun creating the webapp. @Blits

https://chaoticbackup.github.io/portal/

Yeah its in really early stages! We need to discuss layout and content organization. I'm still deciding how to do the content delivery network (cdn). We can hook this up to a dropbox or googledrive account for all the image hosting. Google Drive CDN Realistically, we should store the data in an spreadsheet or something (json file) so that authorized users can edit content without having to edit the github repository (webpage itself). Google Sheets API

I'm having so much fun designing a system that is completely free to run! Using github pages, we can have free hosting (but it has a size limit for storage) so if we have a separate free hosting service as the cdn then we have a completely sustainable model.

What do you think? I definitely see potential (like its gone from an idea to a puddle of mud, but that's still better than all talk).

After we get this underway, I'm going to apply what I've learned to making the "Collection" page. (Yeah with the advanced card searching capabilities we always wanted.)

The learning curve for the website itself is a little steeper than pure html, I'm using a platform called react.js to create a single page app. Its cool stuff. It's state driven so it removes redundancy in html code.

Edit:
    Alright, I decided it. I'm going to go with the format I proposed. Spreadsheets for data and images with name. (Might want to make a thumbnail folder too).

So here's the layout
    Root/
    |_Creatures/
    _|_Overworld (spreadsheet) etc.
    _|_Overworld/
    _|_Underworld/
    _|_Danian/
    _|_Mipedian/
    |_Locations/
    _|_(spreadsheet)
    |_Mugic/
    _|_Overworld (spreadsheet) etc.
    _|_Overworld/
    _|_Underworld/
    _|_Danian/
    _|_Mipedian/
    _|_Generic/
    |_Battlegears/
    _|_(spreadsheet)
    |_Attacks/
    _|_(spreadsheet)

• At the root page, you have an option for each of the categories. 
    • Once in the category, the system will grab the spreadsheet to generate the list of items.
    • The name of the items are the url
    • At a specific item it populates the fields based on the layout
    • Grabs picture
    • Grabs data

This makes design simplified into having a template/theme for each card type and tribe. Populating the spreadsheet data, and adding images (name corresponding to name in spreadsheet).

Example user flow:
    Main page -> Clicks Overworld Creatures-> Clicks Maxxor
    Resulting URL:
    /portal/Creatures/Overworld/Maxxor
    Boom! The user has Maxxor's portal page

I'll eventually do some performance tests on the system. It may have to be broken down into smaller spreadsheets if look up times are too long (aka per set).

Edit:
    So I created the drive schema, and its changed a little bit. I abstracted "card data" into their own spreadsheet so it can be used again later (also reduces data to be parsed through when generating the list of creatures).

Program flow -> 
    /portal/Creatures/Overworld/Maxxor
    navigates to Creatures folder, finds Overworld sheet file, looks for Maxxor entry
    populates page with corresponding columns
    pulls image from Creatures/Overworld/Maxxor.jpg
    opens card_data, looks for Maxxor entry
    populates corresponding fields

Edit:
    I'm also working on the interactive header. (Yay!)
    Header
    So I finished the header, and I think I found out why the header never worked in the original forum hahah

Edit:
    I made some changes to the rive layout. Increased subfolders for the different images (thumbnail, splash (full) art, card  image), then the spreadsheets:
    Folder[Type]
    |_Spreadsheet[Type]
    |_Card_Data

With the exception of tribe types (Creatures and Mugic) which have the corresponding tribes instead.
    The spreadsheet sharing the folder name (or tribe) correspond to the portal to perim content exclusively, the card_data spreadsheet is just that, information found on cards.
    This way when I begin to recreate the "Collection" page, I can simply use the card_data files.

Anything else I'm missing? I guess you'll see this post added to a lot haha

Stretch Goals:
    Mobile Friendly (theme design)
    Page Linking

As for linking pages together, that will be a little more involved on my end. I'm thinking of defining a code (like mediawiki) of enclosing a link in double brackets [[ ]] (in the data file)

Due to the url layout, we will have to make a lookup table so that [[Maxxor]] -> /portal/Creatures/Overworld/Maxxor
    Marrillian
    Marrillian

Post by Marrillian on Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:44 pm

After a long period of inactivity I'm proud to bring you the first working page -> https://chaoticbackup.github.io/portal/Creatures/Overworld/Maxxor

https://chaoticbackup.github.io/portal/Overworld/Creatures

I need help with filling in the spreadsheets and images, so please contact me either here or discord if you want to help.

After today, all the code for individual creatures will be in place, so if anyone knows html/css and wants to work on the layout of information, I'll hook you up with the repository (assuming you know how to use git). Or if you're scared of javascript server stuff, you can create html and css pages and I'll try to merge it into the existing code.
    Marrillian
    Marrillian

Post by Marrillian on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Majorly overhauled how I handled data on the portal. Page load times should be faster and the experience is smoother between navigating through pages! No more clunky reloading a page which you've already navigated to!

Light vi Britannia - 
    Battle95
    Common

Chaotic Username : Battle95
    Chaotic Coins : 30

Post by Battle95 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:58 pm

@Marrillian wrote:Majorly overhauled how I handled data on the portal. Page load times should be faster and the experience is smoother between navigating through pages! No more clunky reloading a page which you've already navigated to!

Just a heads up, the images are not loading for the cards.
    Marrillian
    Marrillian

Post by Marrillian on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:39 pm

It's been tested working for chrome or firefox. The problem may be with Safari. Frown

Light vi Britannia - 
    RedShadow
    newb

Chaotic Username : RedShadow
    Chaotic Coins : 2

Post by RedShadow on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 pm

good job you are doing great work
    RedShadow
    newb

Chaotic Username : RedShadow
    Chaotic Coins : 2

just wanted to say

Post by RedShadow on Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:10 pm

good  job you are doing great work
    Marrillian
    Marrillian

Post by Marrillian on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:19 am

Thank you <3 Since I'm waiting on more data for the portal, I'll next begin working on the collection page. That one should be the most helpful for players Smile

Light vi Britannia - 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:53 am