Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Of Men and Mugic

monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Chaotic Username : monkeymania1
    Chaotic Coins : 348
    Location : Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Of Men and Mugic Empty Of Men and Mugic

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Of Men and Mugic: Chapter Zero - Prologue

by Quazer

---

The Mugician's Lake. A calm, tranquil place in the Mipedim Desert, and one of the few water sources present there. So named because Mugicians have a tendency to gather there for unknown reasons.

This lake is one of Tiaane's favorite places. The natural peace of this place encourages deep thought and meditation. He sat in his tent pouring over ancient texts, trying to decipher possible clues about Mugic in its faded text. That last thing he expected was a visitor.

"Tiaane? You in there?" a voice out called.

Tiaane recognized that voice. "Come in, my friend," he replied without looking up.

The flap of the tent opened, and the visitor came in. "Reading again, huh. Like always."

"There is much one can learn from the written word," Tiaane smiled. "Even words as ancient as these." He turned to greet his guest. "Hello again, Adam."

Adam grinned broadly and tucked his scanner into his pocket. "Hi, Tiaane."

Adam was an odd human, most creatures thought. As opposed to most humans, he preferred to ask permission for "scans" and would even offer an item or service in exchange. The last time Tiaane had encountered him, Adam had traded a large pile of Underworld Mugic research for several "scans" of various Mugic.

"So, what is the purpose of your visit this time?" Tiaane inquired.

"Well, this may sound a bit strange, but I want to learn something from you as a student."

Tiaane had heard stranger things than that. "What is it you want to learn from me that you cannot learn from becoming me in your 'games'?" Those "Chaotic games" should be sufficient, as the humans have access to large volumes of information from fighting as the creatures they "scan".

"I want to learn how to cast Mugic for real."

---

Last edited by monkeymania1 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Location : Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Of Men and Mugic Empty Re: Of Men and Mugic

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Of Men and Mugic: Chapter One - Reasons

---

"I want learn how to cast Mugic for real."

Tiaane blinked. That was a rather unusual request for a human. "And what caused you to want to learn such an obscure art, Adam?"

Adam sat down. "I guess I just want to stop feeling useless. I want to help you, and pretty much everyone else, whenever there's a problem, but when the problem is a large creature flinging fireballs everywhere, there's nothing I can do."

Tiaane set his scroll down. "So who threw a Flame Orb at you recently?"

"Pyrithion." Adam chuckled. "Guess why."

Tiaane shook his head, laughing. "If I have to guess, then I say that you said 'fish bait' or 'worm'."

Adam nodded, and his face fell again. Tiaane pondered a bit, and added, "You are not useless. Remember, you beat Qwun with your bare hands. It was rather humiliating for him if I recall correctly."

"That doesn't really count, you know," Adam muttered, "because he was taking it easy on me."

Tiaane was quiet for a while, then stood. "Come with me," he stated, and left the tent.

The sun was still high in the sky outside, but the lake kept the air around cool. Tiaane looked over at Adam. "Before we go any futher, I have a question to ask. Did you walk through the Dust Plains to get here?"

"Yeah." Adam felt his hair, which was full of sand from the desert. He brushed it out, returning it to its natural black color.

"Then I suggest you 'scan' this place so you can return here without delays while I taech you."

Adam smiled. "Thank you, Professor Tiaane."

Tiaane chuckled. "Just call me Tiaane, please."

---

And here's Chapter One! Please give input: I want to know what people think. Compliments and criticism accepted.

Adam has scanned:

(card I made up)
    Mugician's Lake
    When this location become the active location, all creatures gain a Mugic counter.
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Of Men and Mugic: Chapter Two - Practice

---

"The first thing you must learn is how to host a Mugician," Tiaane began. "One could just wait for a Mugician to pass by, but that method is time consuming, and you are not guaranteed a chance encounter."

Adam smiled. "Then it's a good thing we're at the Mugician's Lake, isn't it?" He scanned the water. "One problem: where are they?"

"Mugicians only flock around these waters when the sun sets. It is still around mid-afternoon." Tiaane pointed at the horizon. "When the sun is just beginning to fall behind the mountains, meet me here again."

Adam nodded. "What should I do until then?"

"Can you really think of nothing?"

Adam thought about that for a moment, then looked up at Tiaane. "Practice in Chaotic," he suggested.

--- (Back at Chaotic)

The blistering heat of the Sha-Kree Flats. A human would burn in a matter of minutes. However, Adam had the protection of Vinta's Mipedian body. He took a moment to savor the feeling of being in a body that wasn't his own, and then sprung away as his opponent flung a Power Pulse in his direction. It was a joy using Vinta's powerful frame, larger than even Tiaane.

"Stand still!" his opponent roared. He had taken the form of Tangath Toborn. He drew his fist back and released another Power Pulse. Adam jumped, gracefully turning a somersault over the attack, landed on his hands and feet, and vanished. His opponent's eyes widened, and he began to throw attacks in every direction.

Suddenly a deafening roar from behind flung Tangath Toborn onto his face. A Thunder Shout! Adam had used a Vlaric Shard to give himself the attack's full benefit! Tangath Toborn rolled on his back and swiped the air behind him, but his foe had once again disappeared.

Adam felt deep within Vinta's body for the single Mugician it hosted. As he focused, it began to swell and burn until it finally sprung from his upper body. Adam released a Mugisphere from his hand and cried out, "Prelude to Dominance!"

Violet and blue light fell upon Tangath Toborn, and within a moment, amidst the spiraling colors, the battlefield was covered in a cloud of code as he was defeated.

As Adam reverted back to his original form, he tried maintain a hold on Vinta's instinctive memories of how to cast Mugic, but once again, it escaped him.

"Whoa. You have got to show me how you do that," Adam's opponent blurted.

Adam shook his head. "If I told you, I wouldn't be able to use it on you anymore, Paul."

Paul left the Battledrome with a look of astonishment on his face.

Adam checked his watch. It was just about time to go back. And he didn't have very much to show for it. He sighed and shuffled to the transport ring.

--- (Back in Perim)

"The reason I say this is because I believe we will be able to learn more if we at least give the boy a chance."

Tiaane had been trying to convince Sobjek for a long time by now. Sobjek sighed and spoke, "And what if this 'test' proves this human to be a threat? And all of our work stolen an 'sold' to another tribe?"

Before Tiaane could reply, a voice outside called out, "You have a visitor, Tiaane? Is this a bad time?"

Sobjek's eyes widened, and he leaned towards Tiaane, saying, "You failed to mention the name of this child! If I had known that it was Adam who requested this, I would have agreed without hesitation!"

Adam spoke up again, "Lemme guess: parfkew eating contest? Go, Sobjek, go!"

Tiaane and Sobjek laughed. Come in, come in, you silly thing!" Sobjek announced. "The sky grows dark, and it has been too long since you have brightened my day last!"

As Adam entered the tent, Tiaane added, "Sobjek barely decided a second ago to assist in this endeavor. He now is interested in how this will aid our research. Now, let us be still, and watch from the Mugicians as they gather together to dance across the lake."

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Of Men and Mugic: Chapter Three - Back to Basics

---

As the sun drooped lower and lower, the sky faded from a pale blue to a deep violet. The sunsets on Perim had to be the best, Adam thought. Many people liked the way the sky turns red on Earth, but to him it was only another reminder of how humans had poisoned Earth. He preferred a sunset where, first one, then many, and then thousands of star populated the sky. But soon even the stars where forgotten.

"Oh!" Adam gasped, as glowing beings had appeared from many directions at once. The Mugicians flew quietly over the water, then drifted down until they were just above its surface. Then they seemed to skate over the water as if it were made of ice, creating a dance so enthralling that Adam felt like leaping on the lake and joining the festivities.

Adam's senses returned to him when he discovered the Tiaane had stood up and was approaching the lake's edge. He undid the clasp of his cloak and let it fall behind him, and then untied and did the same for the cloth around his waist before he stepped into the water. The moment when Tiaane's foot touched the surface, the Mugicians all stopped abruptly. They hung motionless in the air as Tiaane drew closer and closer. He slowed to a stop when the water came up to his waist, and he stood in the midst of the Mugicians. There was a long moment where nobody moved.

Slowly, one at a time, the ghostly apparitions began to circle Tiaane, until Adam lost sight of him among them. Suddenly, all but on rose up a distance, while the last floated level with Tiaane. Tiaane inclined his head towards the sky, spread his arms wide and closed his eyes. After a moment, the Mugician drew closer, closer, and closer still, then sank and touched its head on the gray stone in Tiaane's chest. Then, it gracefully floated up and into him, and Tiaane shone brightly like a star for a moment, and then the light passed. The other Mugicians floated back down to the lake's now rippling surface and began to dance again.

Tiaane turned and beckoned to Adam. Adam sat, dumbfounded for a while before Sobjek leaned in and stated, "He wants you to try for yourself."

"I-I don't have my swimsuit with me," Adam stuttered, still watching the Mugicians glide across the water.

"Then go as you are. You do not need a particular garment for this sort of thing. You simply will the Mugician to join with you."

Adam hesitated, then stood up. He kicked off his shoes and socks, then shuffled slowly to the water's edge. He took a deep breath, and stepped in. Like before, the Mugicians stopped, but this time they swayed restlessly. Adam was beyond noticing, though. He sucked even more air into his lungs as the cold water soaked through his jeans. He haltingly stepped closer and closer to Tiaane until, as he stood next to him, the water reached up to his chest. The air around him buzzed and began to feel unnaturally warm, while the water remained as cold as ever. The Mugicians began to circle, but in a different manner. They would float first one direction, then another, as if unsure of what to do. Adam's lungs began to heave as the combined heat of the air, cold of the lake, and Mugicians' motions began to disorient him. Without any warning, Adam's eyes rolled up and he fell completely under the water.

Tiaane swiftly drew Adam out of the water. Adam had fallen into complete unconsciousness, and laid heavily in Tiaane's arms. Tiaane return to the shore and laid Adam in the sand, then grabbed a handful of sand and began to dry his arms with it. Sobjek approached, nodding. "So he was overwhelmed, was he not?" he stated. "This is not unusual; many creature are on the first encounter."

Tiaane had begun to dry his legs and tail. "It certainly is interesting, though, how quickly they took notice of him. Most creatures must attempt this many times before making this much progress." He dressed himself again, then lifted Adam from the sand and brought his to the tent.

Sobjek took a sheet of parchment and a carbon pencil from his pack in the tent and began to write:

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Of Men and Mugic: Chapter Four - Sooner than Thought

--- (Back on Earth)

Adam stirred his cereal absentmindedly. He'd gone to Chaotic early yesterday, but his Chaotic self still hadn't come back. This concerned him. He usually made a point of returning every evening.

Adam's younger brother kicked him under the table. "Wake up, sleepyhead!"

Grimacing, Adam rubbed his leg. "I'm sorry, Wally, what did you say?"

"You haven't told me what happened, yet!"

Wally played Chaotic, and he also had a code to go there. He and Adam usually tried to one-up each other with stories of their adventures, but Adam had nothing to say this time. "I haven't come back yet, so I really don't know what's going on."

"Hmm," Wally muttered, taking another bite. "Maybe you took one too many hikes through the desert."

"Well that's a pleasant thought," Adam sighed sarcastically.

Wally poured another bowl. "You know, you looked a little depressed after a trip to the Underworld. You told me that you were going to visit Tiaane."

"That still doesn't explain why I'm missing."

--- (Back in Perim)

Adam was faintly aware that he was wrapped in something. His vision danced with floating yellow lights. He opened his eyes. He discovered that he was inside Tiaane's tent, wrapped in one of the Mipedian's blankets and lying on his bed. Adam sat up. Tiaane was laying on floor, still fast asleep.

For some reason, Adam felt wet. Then he remembered. "That's right. I walked in the lake." He sighed. This Mugic thing was going to be very difficult.

A while later, Tiaane awoke to find Adam sitting at the lake's shore. As he approached, Adam asked, "Why did that happen? I was awake one moment, and then I passed out."

Tiaane put a hand on Adam's shoulder. "Everyone becomes overwhelmed the first time. You did well. You went beyond our expectations."

"How?"

Tiaane gestured at the now rather plain lake. "The Mugicians took immediate notice of you. Very few creatures can capture the attention of a Mugician, and you were seen by every Mugician on the lake on your very first attempt."

"So were you," Adam countered.

Tiaane chuckled. "You forget, I have much more experience than you in this matter. Maybe, if you come next sundown, you will make even more progress."

--- (Back in Chaotic, noon)

This game had to be the closest ever in this Battledrome. Both Adam and Noah had one creature left: Adam's was Prince Mudeenu, Captain of the Guard, while Noah's was Mallash. Neither side had any Mugic left, and it was Adam's turn.

Adam spun his location randomizer, and the computer announced, "The next location is: Royal Mipedian Academy of Melee Arts."

"I guess we all know what happens next," Adam shrugged. "Prince Mudeenu attacks Mallash!"

Adam placed his had on the picture of the Mipedian prince, then closed his eyes as the transformation began. First his feet broadened and lengthened until they were almost double the size of his own. Then his legs thickened and became clad in Mudeenu's black and golden-trimmed armor. Next, his chest swelled and arms bulked up, and finally his face grew forward his head topped with the Mipedian's curved horns. Adam opened his eyes to gaze at his Danian foe.

Noah, dressed in Mallash's body, inquired, "You really get into becoming each creature, don't you." Noah's kind tone sounded odd coming out of Mallash's cruel voice.

"It's my favorite part," Adam replied, as the room became bathed in light.

Adam stood at the gate of the academy. He immediately turned invisible. He had learned that, despite his mannerisms outside the Battledromes, Noah was a in the games. Adam wasn't going to take any chances.

Adam took a few steps to the gate, and then froze as they swung open. Right behind the doors was Mallash wearing Spectral Viewers! They both took a deep breath and roared simultaneously. As the Thunder Shouts collided, the resulting rush of air knocked both players on their backs. Adam quickly leaped to his feet, only to be arded by a Pebblestorm. Adam heard several sharp as they bounced off his head and body, and then suddenly Mallash was holding him off the ground by the collar of Mudeenu's armor.

Adam planted his feet on Mallash's chest and sprung away. There was a metallic , and Adam flew through the air, flipped backwards twice, then landed and slid cross the ground several feet. Adam was startled to discover that Mallash was still holding a piece of metal and looked down. The previous attack had weakened Mudeenu's armor and the front had broken away. Adam looked up and let loose another Thunder Shout, knocking Mallash over again.

Mallash scrambled to his feet and flung away the piece of armor in his hands. Then a barrage of Granite *** flew from his eyes and buried into Adam's now unprotected chest and stomach. Adam bent over, the wind knock out of him. Mallash bounded forward, wrapped an arm around Adam's neck and tightened. Adam flailed and kicked, his vision blurring, and suddenly there was a cloud of numbers and letters.

--- (Back in Perim, in the evening)

Sobjek gazed in wonder at how the Mugicians reacted while Adam approached them. They behaved in a way they only behaved towards those with some thirty days of practice. Rather than completely ignoring Adam, as they normally would, they circled and observed him. Things seemed to be going far faster than expected, but Adam once again stumbled. As Tiaane carried him from the water again, an idea formed in Sobjek's mind.

"Perhaps the Chaotic games the humans play give them experience with Mugicians."

Tiaane pondered this for a moment. "Perhaps you are right. It is possible that the Mugicians sense in Adam the previous times he has used Mugic as another creature." Tiaane brought Adam into his tent, then noticed that his Speak-Mirror had been moved. "Who did you speak with, Sobjek?"

"Prince Mudeenu was wondering what you were up to," Sobjek answered. "I spoke to him about your experiment and he seemed very interested in watching with his own eyes."

Tiaane laid Adam on his bed. "Is that a wise thing? You know his opinion of humans. Adam's assistance to the Mipedians hasn't put him in a different light for Mudeenu."

"Yes, considering he lends his aid to any creature of any tribe. It might even give Mudeenu a fouler impression of our friend than normal. But he insisted that he come on the morrow to determine whether this endeavor is of any use."

Tiaane nodded. "Adam may enjoy this opportunity, though. He has a high opinion of the Prince."

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Of Men and Mugic: Chapter Five - Captain of the Guard

---

The next morning, Tiaane awoke to discover that Adam had already left. He found a note on the bed:

"I'll be back in the afternoon."

Tiaane sighed. He had hoped to warn Adam about Prince Mudeenu. It seemed that Adam was going to have to discover that on his own.

--- (Back in Chaotic)

"Hi guys what's going on can I see can I can I?"

Wally had managed to push through a large crowd of teenagers twice his size to discover someone showing off a large collection of rare BattleGear scans.

"Go away, kid. This is the grown-up table," one of them snapped.

"Ooooo, cool! A Viledriver!" Wally announced. "I bet I've got something better than that!" Wally whipped out his scanner and scrolled to his BattleGear. "Take a look! The Baton of Aa'une!"

"The Baton of what?" Everyone's eyes were suddenly on Wally.

"Of Aa'une! This guy!" Wally switched over to creatures and held his scanner up.

"Who's he?" Wally was beginning to draw an even larger crowd.

"He's the leader of the M'arrillians! Come on, you haven't heard of him? Lemme show you what he can do!"

A while later, Adam arrived to discover that the entire PortCourt had gathered around a single Battledrome. Paul rushed up to meet him. "Adam! Your little brother just challenged someone to a 36 versus 36 match!"

Adam rolled his eyes. "I was going to bring Wally to the Mipedian armory today." Adam looked at the screen, then grinned. "He's going to win very quickly, though."

"What do you mean?" Paul looked over.

"Wrath of Aa'une!" the M'arrillian cried out. Suddenly, the opponent's Lord van Bloot exploded in a cloud of code. When it cleared, there was a collective gasp. Rather than returning to normal, the room still looked like the location "Path of the Oligarch". Wally still was in Aa'une's body.

"What's going on?" someone muttered.

"Now I cast 'Call of Aa'une'!" Wally declared. A bright light appeared and several hideous notes rang through the air, and Aa'une grew to an enormous size.

"Now his energy is a hundred!" someone in the crowd cried out. "And his disciplines are all two hundred!"

Thirty-five Mugispheres suddenly appeared around Aa'une. "Now I sacifice my other Mugic to wipe out the rest of your army!" They all cracked and another burst of code filled the room, and the game was over.

"He just won a size 36 match in only one turn!" Several people lined up outside the Battledrome, wishing to trade with Wally. Adam grinned and turned to the transport center, where Wally was already waiting for him.

"Didn't I tell you not to show off?" Adam joked.

"Aww, I was just having some fun!" Wally whined. "Let's go!"

--- (Back in Perim, Mipedian armory)

While Wally rummaged through the shelves of the armory, Adam spoke with Siado. "In exchange for letting my brother come and go as he please, I'm offering these schematics of the Danian's Stingblades." Adam held out a stack of parchment. "They'll come in handy, considering your recent raid-"

"Yesss, yesss, very well," Siado muttered as he took the papers.

As Wally ported back and forth scanning various items, Adam wandered though the armory. He spotted Zhade and Qwun in a hallway.

"Tiaane's experiment? Prince Mudeenu never paid much attention to those tests Tiaane always creates. This must have been a large breakthrough."

Qwun replied, "He has been so interested, he set out first thing this morning so he could see for himself."

Both turned as a flash of light appeared. Adam had already vanished.

--- (The Mugician's Lake)

"Welcome back, Adam. You are a little early. I guess you discovered for yourself."

"This is so exciting! Tiaane, have I mentioned that I've never actually met Prince Mudeenu? I got his scan from a little online promotion!"

"Yes, this is the fifth time you have said this to me," Tiaane chuckled. "Now remember, Prince Mudeenu does not have a high opinion of humans, so be careful."

Adam looked as if he couldn't contain himself. He kept on leaving the tent, checking around the lake, and then returning. One time he didn't come back, and Tiaane came to join him.

"There he is!" Adam's face was alight.

A could of dust had appeared in the distance. As it drew closer, Prince Mudeenu appeared, riding on a Skeletal Steed. As he drew close to the lake, a look of shock appeared on his face.

"A human?" Mudeenu asked incredulously. "Your next great experiment in Mugic is a human, Tiaane?"

"My Prince, please, calm down and let me-" Tiaane began.

Adam cut in. "Wow it's really Prince Mudeenu how do you do my name's Adam wow this is awesome!" he rambled.

Mudeenu snorted and slid off his BattleGear. "And at that, a human who cannot even address royalty properly." He leaned down directly into Adam's face. "You had better impress me, human. I cringe to think what would happen if this turns out to be a waste of my time."

"Y-yes, your Highness," Adam choked out.

Prince Mudeenu snorted and straightened up, then turned and entered Tiaane's tent. Adam nudged Tiaane.

"What is it?" Tiaane inquired.

"I think I need a new pair of pants."

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Of Men and Mugic: Chapter Six - Royal Invitation

---

As the sun fell, the sky once again filled with stars. However, Adam paid no attention to them, this time. All attempts to recollect his thoughts had ended in failure, considering that Prince Mudeenu had decided to sit immediately behind him.

So far, all of Adam's ideas about Mudeenu had proven false. Rather than act in a formal matter, he appeared to prefer the manners of a brute. Adam could feel Mudeenu's eyes bore their way into his back.

As the Mugicians arrived, Tiaane began to rise. Adam shot to his feet.

"Wait," he choked out. "I'm going to do this by myself."

Tiaane's eyes widened. "And what if it is too much for you to handle?"

Adam didn't answer. He quickly approached the water's edge, then paused. He glanced backwards. Mudeenu's eyes continued their murderous glare. Adam turned forward, took a deep breath, and stepped in.

Adam barely registered the cold of the water, neither did he notice that the Mugicians had fallen still. He only heard his heart beat in time with his steps. One . . . two . . . three . . . .

Before long, Adam stood in the midst of the Mugicians. Adam closed his eyes. With any luck, if he passed out again, he'd drown before Tiaane managed to rescue him. Whatever Mudeenu had in mind, it probably was far worse that that.

The Mugicians began their circle, and Adam's breath caught in his lungs. Lights began to dance in his eyes, and a darkness began to fall on his vision. Adam felt himself begin to sway.

"No," he whispered. If he gave up, what would happen to Tiaane? Adam had know idea what Muddenu would do, and he couldn't let Tiaane down. Adam took a deep breath, but his head didn't clear. He couldn't even open his eyes. His lungs began to burn, and a fire seemed to have been lit in his chest. Suddenly, light flooded his vision, and Adam almost collapsed into the water. Suddenly the feeling passed. Adam opened his eyes.

The Mugicians were once again dancing across the water. Adam turned, and he saw Tiaane and Mudeenu, both with looks of surprise etched into their faces. Had he done it? Adam felt within him, and to his astonishment, he felt two bright sparks. Not one, but two!

Adam rushed out of the water as Tiaane and Mudeenu stood up. Tiaane rushed forward and embraced Adam.

"That was incredible!" Tiaane gasped. "Two at the same time!"

Adam buried his face in Tiaane's chest, then looked up and over at Prince Mudeenu. Prince Mudeenu's face was twisted in a expression Adam didn't understand. After a while, his countenance changed: to a look of greed.

"That was fantastic, my dear boy!" Mudeenu bellowed. "You must certainly have talent to have achieved this in such a short time!" Mudeenu put an arm around Adam's shoulder, pulling him away from Tiaane. "I do believe that you wish to expand on this gift, am I right?"

"I- uh- what-" Adam couldn't put two words together.

"Exactly as I thought!" Mudeedu declared, pretending that Adam's stammering were an affirmation.

Tiaane looked at the prince with confusion. "What are you implying?"

Prince Mudeenu led Adam to his steed. "This human may very well become the Mipedian's finest Muge!" He leaped on the steed and seated Adam in front of him. Before Tiaane had a chance to speak, Mudeenu was already riding through the night.

--- (Mipedim Oasis)

Adam looked around in wonder. If this is how they treat Mudeenu, he thought, then what kind of treatment does the Crown Prince Iflar get when he arrives?

Mudeenu had riden all night and early into the morning to get to the oasis. Now he and Adam were being paraded through the city in some sort of carriage, expect instead of wheels, four scantily clad Mipedians carried the box they sat in with a pair of beams.

"Isn't this delightful, eh, Adam?" Prince Mudeenu inquired. "This may be your first time ever being treated as a prince."

Adam tried to respond, but all he managed to do was stifle a yawn, he was so tired.

Mudeenu laughed. "Ah, you must be tired. I will be sure you get the finest bed at the palace!"

Adam barely had enough time to wonder at why Prince Mudeenu doted on him before he drifted to sleep.

When Adam woke up, it was midday. After a moment's confusion, he remembered the events of the previous night.

"Oh man, what have I gotten myself into." The best thing to do might be to escape to Tiaane and ask for his help. Adam pulled his scanner out of his pocket, then gasped.

The screen flickered and faded. A white snow poured across the screen, and a static buzz emitted from the speakers. Adam dropped the scanner in surprise, and the moment it left his fingers, it returned to normal. He picked it up again, and once again the screen crashed.

"This is not good," Adam groaned.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Of Men and Mugic: Chapter Seven - S.O.S.

--- (Mipedian Armory)

Wally laid of the cold floor of the armory, asleep. He had spent all day and night rummaging through the armory, scanning every bit of gear he could get his hands on. He clenched his eyes, rolled onto his back, and laid still again.

Bzz bzz. Wally groggily woke up and looked at his scanner. A message from SwiftSands? Oh, right, Adam's username. Wally viewed the message.

"....ly....don.........uch...............hear.........I'm in.......room......scan.........right........."

Wally gazed at the scanner in confusion. The message was almost completely gone, there was so much static. He tried to listen to the message again.

"....ly................uch............................I'm.................................right........."

"....................uch.................................................right........."

"............................................................................"

"..............................................................."

".......................room..............."

"...not working right..."

"......."

"..."

Silence.

--- (Guest's bedroom)

Adam pressed the button again. Nothing. Again. Nothing. Again. Still nothing.

Adam stared at his scanner in alarm. Why wasn't it working? He dropped the scanner on the bed, and the screen flicker to life again.

Bzz bzz. A message from AlliedDarkness. Wally! Adam snatched up the scanner, and the screen faded into snow.

"Trying to go somewhere?" a voice at the door inquired. Adam spun around. Mudeenu! He continued, "Did you forget? You are to come and meet your fellow students."

Adam bit his tongue, holding back something he'd definitely regret saying. Prince Mudeenu wrapped an arm around Adam's shoulders and led him out of the room.

--- (Armory)

Wally peeked his head out of the door to the armory. A large procession of Mipedians was marching down the hall nearby. What was this all about? Then Wally saw them. Prince Muddenu and Adam! What was going on?

Adam noticed something out of the corner of his eye and turned to discover Wally still in the armory. Wally noticed a look of panic on Adam's face, then the flickering and faded screen of Adam's scanner. That explained a lot. Before either could say anything, Adam had already vanished beyond the hallway.

--- (Muge's Academy, evening)

Adam sat on the floor, catching his breath. He'd been at this for the whole day! Weren't Muges in Training given a break sometime?

Adam was now wearing a large violet cloak in addition to everything else. An unused Mugisphere sat in his hand; Adam had been trying to cast it this entire time, but the pressure made it difficult. He couldn't even remember how to cast from his Chaotic games!

"Adam, you must keep going," Sobjek urged.

"I'm trying, but everything keeps slipping away when I think I'm making progress."

Sobjek sighed and moved to the next student, who also was making little progress.

Adam struggled to his feet, wobbled a little, then took his stance again. He raised his hand and the Mugisphere rose again. Adam focused, and suddenly the edges of his vision began to fade again. The Mugisphere shivered in the air, and then mundanely fell to the ground."

Adam collapsed to the ground again. He looked over at the door. Wally?

Wally was peering into the academy through a window in the door too high for him to reach. Odd, but Adam was at least grateful that Wally was trying to do something. Adam noticed an odd look in Wally's eyes. Wally pointed. Adam looked behind him, then back at Wally, an eyebrow raised. Wally pointed again, frantic. Adam looked again.

Was the floor of the academy a little higher than normal? Adam heard a faint whirring, which grew louder and louder until everyone was looking at that one spot on the floor. The ground began to shake, and with a loud crack split open. A large BattleGear with a drill in the front rose out of the ground. On it's side was painted the symbol of the Underworld.

Adam felt he just might need another pair of pants again.

---

Everybody who didn't expect that raise your hand. That was Chapter Seven! Coming up, "Chapter Eight - Last Chance".

Thank you for your comments. Any predictions? Who is inside the SliverDrill BattleGear? Here are it's statistics:

(Card I made up)
    SilverDrill
    BattleGear
    Super Rare
    Reveal this BattleGear at the beginning of the game.
    If the equipped creature is unengaged, you can sacrifice this card to relocated the equipped creature to any open spot on the field.
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Of Men and Mugic: Chapter Eight - Last Chance

---

The enormous BattleGear stood straight up for a moment, tilted, and heavily hit the ground. Adam and the other Muges stared in shock as a porthole on the top of the SilverDrill creaked open. A red, clawed hand shoot out of the top and there was a flash of red light.

Adam blinked for a moment. When his vision cleared, he discovered that all the Mipedian's laid on the florr, completely still, and their Mugicians floating up on the ceiling. A large, vulture-like creature climbed out the large BattleGear. It's eyes focused on Adam.

Vyll cackled. "Oh! A human!" He jumped down. "A Mipedian lover, I'm guessing? Stay out of my way, or I'll cut you down, too."

His eyes rested on the Mugicsphere laying on the floor. Adam quickly snatched it up.

Vyll screeched, "That isn't very smart, human. Hand the Mugic over before something happens to you." He gestured with a long claw.

Adam stood his ground. "So the Underworld is coming after Mipedian Mugic? You're going to want to leave. Someone might get hurt."

Vyll cackled again. "Is that a threat? You mean that I might be in danger? And who might harm me? If you will notice, every Muge here is out of commission, by my hand!"

Adam closed his eyes and opened his hand. A slight flash of yellow light passed before his eyes.

Vyll cried out in shock. "What is this? You can cast Mugic?" His eyes followed the Mugician and Mugisphere up until they merged with each other.

Adam bellowed, "Fanfare of the Vanishing!" A column of green light came upon him, and he vanished.

Vyll's eyes went wide with alarm. He raised his hands to defend himself, but a sharp jab to his stomach doubled him over. Adam proceed to strike him with his fists until the Mugic wore off. Vyll grabbed Adam by the wrist and flung him across the room. He landed in a box which burst open, spilling the Mugispheres inside across the room.

"Adam!" Wally shouted.

Vyll spun around and saw this second human. He grinned, and wrenched the door off its hinges. Wally tried to port away, but Vyll grabbed the front of his shirt and knocked away his scanner. Vyll dragged Wally into the room.

He sniffed. "You smell similar to that other human. Are you brothers?"

Wally flailed about, trying to kick or punch or anything to the creature holding him up. Vyll grinned and turned to Adam, still dazed on the floor. "The small one will pay the price for your attack!" Vyll raised a red Mugisphere into the air, and a similarly colored Mugician rose from his body. "Canon of Casualty!"

"No!" Adam cried out, but a yellow and red light was already forming around Wally.

Vyll cackled as Wally struggled, trying to escape from his grip. Suddenly, first two, then three flashes of light appeared. Vyll turned to see three Mugicians rising from Adam into a secong Mugisphere.

Adam shrieked, "Song of Deflection!"

A column of yellow light surrounded Wally, and the Canon of Casualty glanced off harmlessly. It rose into the air and hovered above Vyll.

Vyll screeched, dropped Wally and ran, but the light from his own Mugic hit him square in the back. He fell over, and his eyes fluttered shut.

Wally walked over to Vyll and kicked him in the head. Twice.

--- (Back in Chaotic)

"So your scanner wouldn't work while you had a Mugician?" Wally said before stuffing more fries in his face.

"Yeah, and I think I've had enough Mugic for a while." Adam looked down at his scanner, which was now snow-free.

Wally swallowed. "Yeah, I think I know what you mean." He grinned. "How about an Apprentice match?"

"That's the one without Mugic, right?"

"Yup!"

"Well, okay then."

They were just about in the BattleDrome when a large crowd of players discovered them.

"Hey, that's the kid with Aa'une!"

"What? Where?"

"Right there!"

"Hey! I want to trade!"

"Me too!"

Adam and Wally looked at each other. "Then again, want to go to the Lava Pond?" Adam asked.

"Yeah, sounds safer," Wally replied, and they ran to the transport center, with a stampede close behind.

---

And that is the end of the first book of "Of Men and Mugic"! Here's a sneak peek at the next story in this series: "Where Monsters Fear to Tread"

---

The Doors to the Deepmines. Now open. Now horribly dangerous. A lone visitor stood at the opening. A mad grin on his face, he stepped in.

Further down the stairs, these doors really do lead down into the deep. Monsterous vermin made their homes on the stairs. Massive, flesh-eating, poisonous, you name it, it's there. And yet, as the visitor passes by, these horrible creatures shrank against the wall in fear.

The visitor smiled. These vermin knew their place. They knew that none here were more dangerous than he.

A M'arrillion appeared. It does not know its place, the visitor thought. He felt a slight pressure against his mind as the M'arrillian tried to take control. He grinned broadly, and lashed out with his own mind. The M'arrillian didn't even has time to scream as it collapsed against the stairs. It looked up weakly.

The visitor said with a dark voice, "You will take me to your master, squid. You will take me to the Oligarch."

The M'arrillian turned and, as if asleep, guided the visitor through the caverns. The visitor smiled. Any others who attacked his mind would join their hapless friend.

"I'm coming for another visit, Aa'une," the visitor whispered. "The one who's mind cannot be taken." The visitor's eyes opened widely, and an insane laugh erupted from his mouth. "Wally is coming back!"

Wally stepped further and further through the mines of the deep.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Where Monsters Fear to Tread: Chapter Zero - The Visitor

---

The Doors to the Deepmines. Now open. Now horribly dangerous. A lone visitor stood at the opening. A mad grin on his face, he stepped in.

Further down the stairs, these doors really do lead down into the deep. Monsterous vermin made their homes on the stairs. Massive, flesh-eating, poisonous, you name it, it's there. And yet, as the visitor passes by, these horrible creatures shrank against the wall in fear.

The visitor smiled. These vermin knew their place. They knew that none here were more dangerous than he.

A M'arrillion appeared. It does not know its place, the visitor thought. He felt a slight pressure against his mind as the M'arrillian tried to take control. He grinned broadly, and lashed out with his own mind. The M'arrillian didn't even has time to scream as it collapsed against the stairs. It looked up weakly.

The visitor said with a dark voice, "You will take me to your master, squid. You will take me to the Oligarch."

The M'arrillian turned and, as if asleep, guided the visitor through the caverns. The visitor smiled. Any others who attacked his mind would join their hapless friend.

"I'm coming for another visit, Aa'une," the visitor whispered. "The one who's mind cannot be taken." The visitor's eyes opened widely, and an insane laugh erupted from his mouth. "Wally is coming back!"

Wally stepped further and further through the mines of the deep.

--- (Earth, 1:00 a.m.)

Wally woke up. Sweat covered his face.

What was with these dreams? He'd been having this same dream each night for a week now. It never changed, and he always woke up at the same place.

Wally checked his alarm clock. One o'clock, like last time. And each time before that.

Wally wrapped himself in his blanket again, shivering.

--- (9:00 a.m.)

"Wake up, Wally! Breakfast time!"

Wally squeezed his eyes shut and tossed about a bit. He asked groggily, "Is the bus here yet?"

"It's Saturday," Adam stated. "Come on, you want pancakes or cereal or-"

"Pancakes," Wally cut in. "Where's Dad?"

"He got picked up for work, already. He's also waiting for us at Chaotic. And he left you a surprise downstairs!"

Wally dressed and drug himself down the stairs. He hadn't slept very well that night. The dreams were interfering with his sleep.

"Catch!"

Wally threw his arms over his face, and the pack Adam tossed hit the floor.

"Smooth one," Adam joked. "'Rise of the Oligarch'. Dad gave me another 'Silent Sands'."

Wally bent down and picked up the card pack.

--- (Perim)

A large, dark room. Strange creatures floating in the air. Fluidmorphers and chieftains. M'arrillians. They all looked up in unison, all immediately aware of a mysterious observer.

--- (Earth)

Wally froze. What on Earth was that? He hadn't ported to Chaotic yet, so it wasn't a memory.

"You okay?"

Wally nodded, "Yeah. Just tired." He sat down and opened the package.

[Hello again, Wally.]

Wally's eyes went wide. The very first card he had taken out of the pack was Aa'une the Oligarch. It had spoken to him.

Again.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Where Monsters Fear to Tread: Chapter One - Blind Man Battle

--- (Chaotic)

Was it a smart thing not to tell Adam? Probably not. So why didn't I? I have no idea.

Wally sat in the courtyard of the Oron Drome. His and Adam's dad, Seth, was challenged to a match before they had arrived, so of course they waited and watched. So far, it was down to one creature each.

It was Seth's turn. He stood for a moment, thinking. Then he reached for the location-randomizer.

"Um, its a little lower than that," said his opponent.

Seth lowered his hand a little and spun the randomizer. The computer declared, "The next location is: Halls of the Blind."

"Are ALL of your locations in the dark?"

Seth smiled. "The darkness has never hindered me. I use it to my advantage." He felt for the image of his Frafdo the Hero.

His opponent shook his head. "You know, I never thought I'd find a blind man playing Chaotic."

Seth chuckled. "I never would have believed it myself. Frafdo attacks Chaor!"

Soon, a humanoid bird and a large red demon stood in the BattleDrome. The bird opened its eyes.

In Frafdo's high voice, Seth muttered, "Whoa. I have to get a scan of that creature."

The room was washed in a cloud of light.

Wally turned away from the screen. There would be nothing to see, anyway. His dad always chose locations without any light at all. For example, Halls of the Blind took away every creature's Fire elements.

Adam grinned. "You know, Wally? I'm glad we helped dad learn how to play. He gets to see for a few moments when he turns into another creature."

Wally rolled his eyes. "Have you noticed that he chooses locations where nobody can see?"

[He uses his weaknesses as his strengths.]

Wally stared at his scanner. There it was again. His Aa'une scan was talking to him again.

"Stop talking," he whispered.

[Why? Adam has his gift, your father has his gift, and you have your gift. Adam and your father embrace their gifts, yet you reject your ability to speak across any distance of space and time.]

Wally groaned and shut off his scanner.

--- (Perim)

Aa'une grinned broadly. That child would serve a large purpose. He would speak to all of Perim and it would hear. If Adam could control the forces of Mugic, then maybe his brother could master control of the mind. The M'arrillian's would the greatest weapon: a chieftain would could move instantaneously around the world!

Aa'une circled about his pool. If his plan is to succeed, he would need to play his . . . "cards" correctly.

--- (Chaotic)

Seth walked out of the BattleDrome, cane in hand and sunglasses on his face. He smiled broadly as he heard his children run up to him.

"That was amazing! A Dragon Booster and a Megaroar!" Adam hugged his dad.

"Ha ha! I wish I could've seen the look on his face when he left," Seth joked. "Adam? Wally? I recently heard that Lore has been developing new Mugic at Mount Pillar. Will you guide me there, please?"

Adam laughed. "You'd have to guide US around; you know that place better than us combined!"

Wally laughed, but didn't say anything. He couldn't keep Aa'une's voice out of his head. The first time he had heard him, Wally had changed his army completely from the Underworlders to the M'arrillions out of excitement. Now Aa'une's voice had an icy edge to it that hadn't been present before.

Wally shivered, then followed Adam and his dad to the transport center.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Where Monsters Fear to Tread: Chapter Two - Clairvoyance

--- (Mount Pillar)

Three Mandiblors stationed at the gate to Mount Pillar all turned their heads as three lights flashed nearby. They readied their lances and crept up on the intruders.

Three humans, two smaller ones guiding a larger one. Odd.

Wally looked up. Great, they'd been spotted before they even got in. Wally whispered, "Three guards, 11 o'clock."

Seth nodded, then called out, "Mandiblors sneaking up on a blind man? Your ancestors would be ashamed."

The Mandiblors faltered, then lowered their weapons. To bring harm on the disabled would place a curse on those at fault.

Seth continued, "I've always wanted to go to Mount Pillar. Of course, I wouldn't be able to see much, but my sons could give me a guided tour. May we pass?"

The Mandiblors looked at each other in confusion. "Come with me, and stay close," one said.

---

"Humans in here?" Odu-Bathax roared.

"Please listen, sir. The-"

"You listen here! No humans can pass the gates of the castle! Those fleshlings just- just-" Odu-Bathax's voice died when he happened to glance up at the trio of humans coming in. The one in the center appeared blind.

Seth chuckled. "'Fleshlings'? That certainly is an interesting nickname. Of course, it makes perfect sense since Danians have an exoskeleton and we don't."

Odu-Bathax tried to speak again. "The- um- rule here is- well-"

"Not showing hospitality, am I right? That certainly is a very _new_ rule, then." Seth turned in Wally's general direction. "Imagine what the queen would think."

The Mandiblor beside Seth looked at him in surprise. Wally spoke up, "He's trying to talk to me. He didn't notice you step between us."

Odu-Bathax sputtered a moment, then threw all four of his arms up in exasperation. "Fine! Come in. But a Mandiblor must keep with you."

"Very well. I wouldn't want to get lost, would I?"

---

[There's trouble at the reservoir.]

"Shut it, Aa'une."

[My forces are attacking Mount Pillar.]

"Why are you telling me?"

[Do you want precious Daddy in the crossfire?]

Wally stopped walking. "Who's attacking?"

[Neth'uar.]

Wally ran up to his dad. "Dad, I think we need to cut this short."

Seth stopped. "Why? What's going on?"

Wally spoke loudly, "Because the M'arrillians are attacking the reservoir!"

Every surrounding Danian looked up.

Seth asked, "How do you know this?"

Wally froze. "I- I heard it."

Seth raised an eyebrow. "From Aa'une?"

Wally looked down.

Seth turned away and yelled out, "Mount Pillar Reservoir is being attacked!" He turned back to Adam and Wally as the Danians scattered. "I'm porting back. We need to talk."

Seth and Adam vanished in a flash of light.

[You aren't leaving?]

"I'm going to stop you."

Aa'une laughed. [If you could stop me, would I have told you?]

"Yeah, you would have. You can't stop me. You can't keep your mouth shut. Or brain shut. Or whatever you talk with."

Wally followed the Danians through the tunnels.

---

Aa'une grinned. "Neth'uar. He is coming. He has taken the bait."

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Where Monsters Fear to Tread: Chapter Three - Master of Fear

---

Wally just got to the slide which led down to the reservoir when his scanner beeped.

"Walter! Where are you?!" Seth sounded furious.

Wally hung up. He couldn't be distracted.

"I'm going to get in so much trouble for this," he muttered.

---

"Ouch."

The slide goes a lot faster than one would expect. Wally began to stand, but a flash of light knocked him over. He peeked over his arms.

Neth'uar floated above the reservoir. He was . . . attacking a pipe?

The M'arrillian didn't seem to pay attention to the Danians as they attacked. In fact, after an attack hit, the Danian who released the strike would fall over, clutching its head and wailing.

Wally grabbed a Cyclance from the ground and crept forward. At the edge, he leveled the weapon at Neth'uar. The M'arrillian suddenly turned. Its eyes locked with Wally's-

---

Wally opened his eyes. Where was he? He looked down. He was floating over a city. A city on Earth.

"What's going on?"

There was no answer. Wally spotted his dad. Seth was standing at a crosswalk. This crosswalk was the last road Seth had to cross before getting to the bus.

The light turned green, and the speaker let out a few beeps. Seth carefully began to cross the road.

Wally saw a car approaching. It wasn't slowing down. No! it was headed for his dad! Wally cried out, trying to warn him.

Seth didn't hear Wally, but he heard an engine approaching. He stopped, looking scared.

The car began to screech to a stop, but turned sideways and tilted on two wheels. It began to roll . . .

"Dad! Daddy! Run!"

---

Wally laid flat on his back, screaming. His eyes shot open.

"So that is what you fear," the M'arrillian stated. "Your father, helpless to defend himself, in a position where having eyes could save his life."

Wally couldn't answer. He was shaking from head to toe.

Neth'uar floated silently. Then he spoke. "He lost his sight,correct? He used to be able to see. You gave him the best gift you could think of. You taught him how to play your 'Chaotic' games. He earned the right to come to this world. And every time he plays, he gets another chance to see."

Wally's scanner sparked to life. Aa'une's scan appeared on the screen.

[Perhaps we can arrange something. A far better gift.]

Wally tried to cover his ears, but he couldn't move.

[If you help me, I'll help your father. I'll give him _new_ eyes. So he can always see.]

Tears began to stream down Wally's face.

[If you, Walter Seamus Gray, will help me, then I, Aa'une, Oligarch of the M'arrillians, swear to restore sight to your father, Seth Issac Gray. Do we have an agreement?]

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Where Monsters Fear to Tread: Chapter Four - Save Me

---

[If you, Walter Seamus Gray, will help me, then I, Aa'une, Oligarch of the M'arrillians, swear to restore sight to your father, Seth Issac Gray. Do we have an agreement?]

Wally opened his mouth to speak, but he stopped mid-breath. He smelled something sewer-like. Had the pipe been broken?

[Do we have an agreement?]

With effort, Wally closed his mouth and his eyes.

[I said, 'Do we have an agreement?'] Aa'une spoke loudly.

Neth'uar widened its eyes, and more images flashed through Wally's mind. Wally bit his lip, trying not to cry out.

[SPEAK!]

There was a flash of blue, then yellow light. Neth'uar turned. Wally's mind became clear enough to hear Adam's voice:

"Song of Truesight!"

Wally turned to see Adam standing next to a figure wearing a full set of Phobia armor. Dad? Seth also held a Destructozooka. His eyes began to glow as the Mugic took effect.

Seth aimed his BattleGear at Neth'uar. "Get away from my son."

Neth'uar blinked.

Seth roared, "GET AWAY FROM HIM, NOW!"

He knelt on one knee and pulled the trigger. A column of flame shot from the barrel and hit Neth'uar between the eyes. Neth'uar screeched and writhed about. Seth continued to hit the M'arrillian each second.

"Adam, get Wally and get OUT!"

Adam dashed over the where Wally laid. He snatched up Wally's scanner, grabbed Wally's hand, and pressed Wally's finger to the port out button. Wally vanished. Adam turned, rose another Mugic in the air, and called out, "Song of Futuresight!"

A glow briefly surrounded Seth, and he jumped aside as a Torrent of Water hammered the area he had been. Adam vanished.

--- (Chaotic)

"You know Aa'une will promise anything, and you know that he doesn't keep promises! He can predict your every move, and you _still_ went down there?"

Wally sat on a bench, head hanging. "I'm sorry. I thought I knew what to do."

Adam put his face in one hand. "You're very lucky Dad didn't forget how to fight. You're lucky the Danians had a Song of Truesight! And you're _very_ lucky we got to you in the first place!"

There was a flash of light, and Seth appeared. He slowly moved forward. "Wally, come with me," he said sternly.

"Where?"

"The Beta Drome."

Adam raised an eyebrow. He whispered in Seth's ear, and Seth whispered back. Adam's eyes widened and he nodded.

--- (Beta Drome)

"Give Adam your scanner."

Wally handed it over. Adam pressed a few buttons, and handed it back."

Seth spoke again, "We will have a one-on-one match, I choose the location, no Mugic, no BattleGear, and you can only use that creature.

Wally looked down as Adam left the Drome. Wamma? Wally shrugged and placed Wamma on his board. Seth slowly placed his creature and location on the board, then locked it. Wally looked at the board and gasped.

Seth declared, "Neth'uar attacks Wamma at Mount Pillar Reservior, Neth'uar's Foothold!

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:54 pm

Where Monsters Fear to Tread: Chapter Five - Father vs. Son

---

Is this a punishment? Wally scrambled over some fallen debris. Dad's always rational, but I don't see any point to this.

The water was a sickly green. Yuck. Wally pressed himself to the wall to avoid the smell. Wamma's over-large body made this difficult.

Wally spotted His dad ahead, in Neth'uar's body. He was floating in the disgusting water, staring at a cliff edge.

Seth continued to stare at the wall, muttering to himself. "Wally was laying here, I'm where Neth'uar was." He turned to look at a broken pipe. "Neth'uar was attacking this pipe." He turned again, and saw Wally, looking like Wamma, against the far wall. "The Danians were all around, holding their heads in pain." He turned to the cliff again.

Seth muttered, "Cliff, pipe, Danian, Wamma. Wa-mma. Wa-. Wa-lly. Wally. What is it? Who did this? Why?"

Seth closed his eyes.

---

{Neth'uar floated above the reservoir. He was . . . attacking a pipe?}

Seth peered inside Neth'uar's mind. Something had been added to the sewage, it would make the water suitable for the M'arrillian.

{After an attack hit, the Danian who released the strike would fall over, clutching its head and wailing.}

A Song of Pain was cast earlier. That made sense.

{The M'arrillian suddenly turned. Its eyes locked with Wally's-}

An attack called Fear Extension. It makes the foe live one of its worst fears.

{Wally opened his eyes. Where was he? He looked down. He was floating over a city. A city on Earth.

{"What's going on?"

{There was no answer. Wally spotted his dad. Seth was standing at a crosswalk. This crosswalk was the last road Seth had to cross before getting to the bus.

{The light turned green, and the speaker let out a few beeps. Seth carefully began to cross the road.

{Wally saw a car approaching. It wasn't slowing down. No! it was headed for his dad! Wally cried out, trying to warn him.

{Seth didn't hear Wally, but he heard an engine approaching. He stopped, looking scared.

{The car began to screech to a stop, but turned sideways and tilted on two wheels. It began to roll . . .

{"Dad! Daddy! Run!"}

How dare Neth'uar do that to Wally!

{When the attack hit Wally, he fell over without moving. Then he began screaming, and his eyes shot open.

{"So that is what you fear," the M'arrillian stated. "Your father, helpless to defend himself, in a position where having eyes could save his life."}

Seth shivered. He had already figured out what would happen next.

{[He fears for his father?] Aa'une inquired. [Interesting. This can be very useful.]}

{Neth'uar spoke to Wally again, "He lost his sight, correct? He used to be able to see. You gave him the best gift you could think of. You taught him how to play your 'Chaotic' games. He earned the right to come to this world. And every time he plays, he gets another chance to see."}

And Seth was grateful for that gift. But what was the M'arrillian getting at?

{Wally's scanner sparked to life. Aa'une's scan appeared on the screen.

{[Perhaps we can arrange something. A far better gift. If you help me, I'll help your father. I'll give him _new_ eyes. So he can always see. If you, Walter Seamus Gray, will help me, then I, Aa'une, Oligarch of the M'arrillians, swear to restore sight to your father, Seth Issac Gray. Do we have an agreement?]}

---

Seth's eyes shot open. It all made sense, now. What Wally was doing, the M'arrillian, the Oligarch, everything.

Seth glanced upwards and fired a blast of water to the ceiling. Wally watched in astonishment as his dad held still while boulders began to fall around him. One large boulder fell on Seth's head, and the room became filled with a burst of code.

--- (Earth, evening)

Seth had taken Wally's scanner away. Now he sat with Adam in the kitchen. Adam was looking at a series of cards strewn over the table. Seth spoke in a low voice, so Wally couldn't hear.

Adam's scanner beeped, and he pressed a button on it. After a moment, he began to draw something on a piece of paper. Wally peeked harder through the hallway door, trying to see.

The cards on the table were: Aa'une the Oligarch, Calling of Aa'une, Baton of Aa'une, and Warth of the Oligarch. Adam was drawing some sort of building. He handed the paper to Seth, who ran his fingers across the page. Then he opened one of his books and ran his fingers across it's pages.

Seth stopped. He frowned. He felt for Aa'unes card and flipped it over. The Avatar side was now facing up.

Adam muttered, "So that's what he wants Wally to do for him."

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Where Monsters Fear to Tread: Chapter Six - Living Nightmare

---

The Doors to the Deepmines. Now open. Now horribly dangerous. A lone visitor stood at the opening, a look of fear chiseled into his face. He hesitated, then stepped through.

Further down the stairs, these doors really do lead down into the deep. Monsterous vermin made their homes on the stairs. Massive, flesh-eating, poisonous, you name it, it's there. As the visitor passed by, these horrible creatures reached out, attempting to grab this strange morsel that wandered in.

The visitor shivered. He must be crazy to be going somewhere like this.

A M'arrillion appeared. The visitor stopped, afraid. He looked away, so the creature would not be able to invade his mind. The M'arrillian spoke with a breathy voice, "What do want, human?"

The visitor said with a shaky voice, "The Oligarch is expecting me. Can you take me to him?"

The M'arrillian turned and guided the visitor through the caverns. The visitor frowned. He hoped that this would be the only M'arrillian who decided to _guide_ him.

The visitor looked down at a card in his hand. Then he looked up, the card Calling of Aa'une firm in his grip. "Wally is coming back."

--- (Earth, a day ago)

Wally sat on his bed, turning thoughts in his head. Why does Aa'une need a human in order to manifest in Perim? It didn't make a lot of sense. They already have Aa'une. They probably have the Baton. Wrath of the Oligarch? Only chieftains can use it anyway. Adam would make a better choice if they needed a human to cast Calling of Aa'une.

[You're very close, Wally.]

Wally jumped of the bed and looked around. He spotted Aa'une's card sitting on the ground.

[You are missing one key piece of information, however. If I merely wanted to make manifest, I could do it without any help at all.]

"You want something a little more than that."

[An experiment. Your brother already proved that a human can manipulate Mugic. My question is: Can a creature cast Mugic from a card?]

Wally thought for a moment, then pulled a box from under his bed. He picked up a stack of cards.

"Every card has a code. A twelve-digit identifier." He turned to Aa'une's card on the floor. "What are you predicting?"

[Those codes represent an object's location in time, space, and manner of existence. In other words, it describes something the same way the Cothica should.]

Wall's eyes widened. He knew what Aa'une would say next. "So you think these cards are-"

[-a direct link to the Cothica!]

Wally snorted. "How's this going to help my dad?"

Aa'une laughed. [Can't humans also be described by a code? Don't you send that code here to travel here? Doesn't that mean that _humans_ can be altered by altering their code?]

--- (Perim, present)

Wally hesitated, then stepped further and further through the mines of the deep.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Where Monsters Fear to Tread: Chapter Seven - Trust Betrayal

--- (Earth, an hour ago)

Wally peeked his head into his father's room. Then he lightly stepped over to a set of drawers and carefully searched them. When he found his scanner, he quickly entered his code and ported. The screen went blank.

--- (Perim, present)

The M'arrillian led Wally to a large underground chamber filled with M'arrillians. He recognized it as the room he had seen when he picked up the card pack. He reached for his pocket.

"Do not reach for your scanner."

Wally jumped, then saw that a fluidmorpher, Aer'dak, had spoken. She continued to speak, "Do you have it?"

Wally held out the card he was holding. Aer'dak took it, studied it, and smiled. "Our leader will be pleased."

As the M'arrillian handed the card back, Wally looked around. Aa'une didn't appear to be anywhere. "Where is he?"

Aer'dak grinned. "Not here right now, but do not worry, he will come. He insisted that we wait for you before his entrance."

She led Wally to the center of the chamber. There was a heptagon carved into the cave floor, a symbol at each corner. At the center was a pool of water. The other M'arrillians gathered around the shape.

Aer'dak raised her arms. "Lord over all of the Deep! Master of the waves and the sea! This land is dry, and it thirsts for your presence!"

The others began a low hum. They began to sway, first to one side, then the next. The pool in the center of the room began to ripple.

"The ocean beats upon the the shore, heralding your arrival! The clouds weep with joy at your sight! Glaciers, locked in the cold, melt and flow to be the path you join us with!"

Wally covered his ears, the sound was becoming deafening. The pool of water began to boil and spread. The humming of the M'arrillians became a chant.

Aer'dak called out loudly, "Come and claim your throne on Perim! Come, our Oligarch! AA'UNE!"

The chanting stopped. The water from the pool seemed to hang in the air, then erupted from the ground. A single pillar of roaring water connected the ceiling and the floor. Streams began to break away from the bottom, then became firm and held to the ground. The top of the pillar split in two. The ends of each of those pillars split into four and formed hands. The arms thickened, carved into defined muscles, and became firm as well. At the top of the forming body, a head appeared, which chiseled into a face, locks of water extending into a mane of liquid hair behind. Then, the torso broadened at the top and slimmed in the middle, shaping into a solid, muscular body.

Aa'une slowly floated to the floor, eyes closed. Several Kha'rall warriors approach, carrying various golden articles of clothing. As they dressed their leader, another fluidmorpher, Silir'ean, the Songthief, floated forward, carrying a glowing halo of water. He placed it over Aa'une's head, where it bent and twisted until it was a crown floating over the Oligarch's head. Then they all retreated. Aa'une, with eyes still closed, tested his projected body, which rippled and flexed with every movement. Then, he opened his eyes. Aa'une raised his arms, and the chamber erupted with cheers.

"Silence," Aa'une spoke after a minute, and the cheering abruptly ceased. He looked around and spotted Wally.

Aa'une glided towards Wally, saying, "I am very glad you decided to attend, Walter. You do the M'arrillians a great service."

Wally's brow furrowed. "I'm just here because you promised to help my dad."

The crowd began to whisper. Eyes wide, Aa'une looked around. Then he grinned and turned back to Wally. "Patience, my boy, patience. Do you have what I wanted?"

"I would think that the real Mugic would work better," Wally stated as he held the card forward. "Unless the Cothica is somewhere in here."

Aa'une held the card. "'Calling of Aa'une'," he sighed. "But why do we need the Cothica with us right now? If I am correct, we can make it come to _us_!"

The heptagon in the center of the room began to glow. Wally gasped as glowing numbers and letters began to rise from the lines. Aa'une drifted back to its center.

"Walter, please give the Kha'rall your scanner."

"What?"

Aa'une frowned. "It wouldn't do for you to disappear in the midst of what is about to happen."

Wally scowled, then handed a black case to the coral warrior. It examined it, then nodded.

Aa'une raised his right hand. "Bring the Baton!"

Silir'ean approached, carrying the Baton of Aa'une. He paused in front of the Oligarch, then raised the Baton over his own hand. "May the ocean that flows through all be thine to command." He pierced his hand, then gave the Baton to Aa'une.

The M'arrillians began to chant again, and Aa'une raised Wally's card. He spoke, "Come, Cothica! Unlock the secrets which lie within these marking! Give me Perim to rule with mine hand!"

Suddenly, thousands of black Mugicians poured from the ceiling, each binding with a number or letter floating up from the ground. Then the circled around the card in Aa'une's grasp.

Wally snickered. "You didn't really intend to help me."

Aa'une's eyes widened, the chanting stopped, and all eyes fell on Wally.

"My dad borrowed my cards and played as you in the Dromes. Remember his gift?"

Aa'une snarled. "Perfect memory," he spat.

Wally continued, "He saw that you didn't plan on helping anyone but your own tribe."

Aa'une laughed. "But you handed my victory to me already!" he declared as the light from the Mugic began to surround him. The song began to play. Aa'une's laugh died in his throat.

"This isn't the right Mugic!" he declared. He stared at the card, but it still showed "calling of Aa'une".

Wally laughed. "Do you know what a misprint is, oh mighty ruler of Perim? Your defeat is coming at the hand of a typo! The code on that card is wrong! It's "Unheard Melody!"

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Where Monsters Fear to Tread: Chapter Eight - Several Steps Ahead

---

Wally laughed. "Do you know what a misprint is, oh mighty ruler of Perim? Your defeat is coming at the hand of a typo! The code on that card is wrong! It's "Unheard Melody!"

Aa'une roared, then lunged at Wally. One large arm swiped at Wally, but froze as a stream of lightning sprung from the ground. Aa'une struggled against the bolts, and his roar was cut off as electricity poured into his mouth.

Silir'ean rushed forward, holding a Mugicsphere. "Sound of- ooph!" Wally had spun around and planted his fist in the fluidmorpher's abdomen. Silir'ean doubled over, and the Sound of Noise Mugic hit the floor. Wally stomped on it, and it shattered with a bright flash of light.

Aa'une writhed on the floor, his features dissolving away. He reached for Wally again, but his body finally melted into a puddle. All that was left of his projection was a wet spot on the ground, his clothing lying in the water. The crown sputtered, flickered, then vanished.

For a long while the cavern was silent.

A Kha'rall roared. Wally turned to see it throw something on the ground and stomp on it.

Crunch!

His heart pounding, Wally backed away as the large coral warriors approached, holding their claws out to grab him. The M'arrillian crowd roared and rushed forward. Wally whipped around and fled for the exit, and most of the M'arrillians followed. Two remained behind: Silir'ean, who gasped for air, and Aer'dak.

Aer'dak put her arms around Silir'ean, helping him up. "The boy won't get very far, my love. He has nowhere to run, and no way to disappear."

Holding his stomach, Silir'ean replied, "But all this work, wasted. I hope the Kha'rall tear him a-"

He noticed something. He picked up Waly's crushed scanner. Something was amiss. He turned it sideways and discovered that it opened up. He puled it into two pieces. There were no metal wires or circuits. A stack of damp cards fell out.

Among the cards were Aa'une the Oligarch, Baton of Aa'une, Rage of Aa'une, and a real Calling of Aa'une. The water had already washed the writing on the cards away.

--- (Earth)

Seth held Wally while they watched Wally's scanner. It beeped, and Wally pressed a button on it. Then he laughed.

"I did it, Daddy! I beat him! And I got away!"

Seth hugged Wally, then said, "Now, next time one of your cards talks to you, you need to-"

"-tell either you or Adam about it," Wally finished.

"Very good. Now, you have school tomorrow-" he stopped and felt his wristwatch, "actually, today now, so get back to bed.

Seth smiled as he listened to Wally leave. It had been his idea for Wally to "sneak" in to get his scanner. If the M'arrillians had detected any guilt, they would have only seen Wally "disobeying" him. He laid back on his bed. Tomorrow, Wally was going to be one sleepy kid.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Without My Eyes: Chapter Zero - Why Can't I Forget the Pain

--- (Earth)

Seth stood on a grassy hill. The wind blew softly. Rain had just begun to fall. The surrounding smells were being washed away. Patter, patter, patter. Little pellets from the sky. Seth knelt down and felt for the smooth stone in front of him.

The rock was cold and wet. Seth traced his fingers over the carvings etched into the surface. He started with the edges, a floral pattern. Flower, vine, flower, vine. Then he traced the writing:

'Here lies Jennifer Sky Grey
    A loving wife, mother, and friend'

--- (Earth, 15 years ago)

It was Thanksgiving evening. Adam and Wally had already been put to bed. Seth and Jenny were on their way to a party at a friend's house.

Seth stopped at an intersection, looked both ways, then continued to the freeway. Jenny was carrying a gift for the hostess.

Jenny was worried. "Will they like it? Yes, I know Hannah loves scented candles, but maybe they already have this kind."

Seth laughed. "It'll be fine, honey. Remember when I accidentally brought three packs of Apple-scent when I meant-"

"I know, I know. I just worry to much."

It was beginning to rain, so Seth slowed down a tad on the freeway. Everything was going all right when a van sped by. The van clipped the front of the car ahead and spun, sliding on the slick road. Seth slammed the brakes, then the was a crash as the car behind rear-ended them. Jenny screamed, and Seth tried to turn out of the way. The water on the road made it impossible to steer.

The spinning van at the front smashed into another car. It bounced back, stood on to wheels, then fell on Seth's and Jenny's car. The glass of the windshield shattered inwards. Seth couldn't shield his eyes in time.

"AAAAAUUUUUGH!"

Seth's hand shot up to his face, clutching madly at the shards of glass. Another crash. Everything was starting to get hot. Seth smelled smoke.

Seth felt a pair of hands undoing his seatbelt. Jenny kicked open the driver-side door and pushed Seth out. Seth felt the heat coming from the front of the car.

"Jenny! Get out of the car! GET OUT OF THE CAR!" Seth bellowed. He could hear his wife struggling with the door. She was completely wedged in. He heard her scramble for the driver's door.

BOOM!

There was a crack of noise and a wave of heat. Seth flew through the air and landed on his back against a building. He crumbled to the floor.

---

Seth opened his eyes. The room was dark. Why didn't they turn on the lights. Where was Jenny?

"Don't sit up, sir. You need to lie down."

A hand pressed him back into the bed.

Adam spoke weakly, "Where's Jenny."

There was no answer.

"Where's my wife?"

"I-I'm sorry."

Seth's heart skipped a beat. "She's-no, she can't be! Turn on the light! I want to see her!"

There was no answer again.

"The-the light _is_ on, isn't it."

Seth blinked. He saw nothing. Nothing at all. He began to scream with grief and pain.

--- (Earth, present day)

"Dad?"

Adam put his hand on his dad's shoulder. Seth was shaking, sobbing.

"Daddy." Adam hugged Seth. Wally was back at home. He had just been a year old, but Wally remembered the baby-sitter's screams when she had heard the news. Adam had come to the cemetery, though. Someone needed to drive his Dad there.

"Let's go home." Adam guided Seth down the hill. The headstone of the grave had a single lit scented candle, which flickered and died in the rain.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Without My Eyes: Chapter One - Why I Choose to Stay in the Dark

--- (Chaotic, a month later)

Seth's opponent wandered the location, jumping at every sound. The Psikoom Madness Chamber. Staying here to long could drive anyone insane.

Seth calmly strode through the halls. The Song of Stagnation Mugic he cast before the battle would protect his disciplines from lowering for a while.

Seth leaped across a large chasm and continued. Playing as the tigress, Intress, was not something he did often, but there was an exhilarating feeling of being able to lead without fear.

Seth spotted Attacat. The large, black feline was holding his head, cowering. It was about time, Seth could feel the effects of his Mugic wearing off. The room began to sway, and the walls seemed to close in. Seth closed Intress's eyes.

Seth listened and smelled. If he relied on his other senses, the location wouldn't be able to affect his mind. Attacat scrambled somewhere nearby. This was going to be a short battle. Seth coiled up and sprug towards Attacat.

"Charge of the Brave!"

There was a snapping sound as Intress's claws hit Attacat's back, and the chamber was filled with numbers and letters.

Seth opened his eyes. His vision faded as he turned back into his human self. He heard his opponent *** up his scanner in disgust and leave. Seth carefully picked up his own scanner and slowly walked for the door.

Seth tapped his cane in front of him as he walked through the PortCourt. People wondered why he battled with his eyes closed. His own sons became confused when seeing his location decks.

Seeing is painful. Light is harsh. He uses his eyes in battles when necessary, but never more than that. Seth has been blind for fifteen years. He had given up on being able to see again fourteen years ago. A year ago, Wally taught him how to play Chaotic. Seth's amazing memory allowed him to win many times, only requiring someone to tell him what was happening that his ears couldn't tell him.

The darkness was comfortable now. Light was painful, bright, and difficult to get used to. Then the game would end, and Seth would be back in the dark.

Seth stood in the Transport Center. He flicked through his location scans, remembering each one as he passed it. Kiru City. Psikoom Madness Chamber. Hunter's Perimeter. Forest of Life. UnderWorld City.

Seth stopped. He remembered fighting Chaor, leader of the UnderWorld, in a Drome match. He pressed a button on his scanner and vanished in a flash of light.

--- (Perim, 30 seconds later)

Seth laid on the cold ground, sunglasses shattered. He didn't move. His cane lay splintered several feet away. A battle raged around him. Chaor against Van Bloot.

Takinom looked down. A human? Why hadn't he vanished when he saw the fighting? She flew down for a closer look, then gasped as she saw the human's face, with large scars across his eyelids.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Without My Eyes: Chapter Two - You Have Eyes, So Tell Me, Do I Look Okay to You

---

Rothar sat looking at the makeshift prison cell. He was stuck on gaurd duty. Why did a human need guarding anyway? Without a scanner, they couldn't get anywhere.

The human was laying down with his face in the bed. Takinom had brought him in. She seemed . . . a little upset.

Rothar had just about fallen asleep when the human stirred.

"Awake, huh?" Rothar muttered. "Had a nice nap."

The human didn't turn to face him. "Where am I?"

Rothar grunted, "Where does it look like you are?"

"I don't know." The human putting his hands on the wall.

"Hey, I'm over here," Rothar said, irritated.

"I know." The human continued to feel the wall. "What is this place?"

"Are you blind? You're in a prison cell! Are you okay?"

Finally the human turned. Rothar felt his stomach clench when he saw the human's eyes. Large scars covered his eyelids, and his eyes were completely white and blank.

"You have eyes, so tell me, do I look okay to you?"

---

"Didn't I say we wewre not taking prisoners?" Chaor bellowed.

Takinom persisted, "He's not a prisoner, he's a human who needs help!"

"We don't have to help anyone! Did you forget the Bloot has taken over UnderWorld city?"

"I did not forget. If you saw him, you'd agree with me."

"Ha! Bring him in, and we'll see."

Takinom left. Chaor sat down and put his face in one hand. Their attack against Van Bloot had gone poorly. And to top it all off, Takinom was disobeying orders. What could possibly be the reason?

Takinom came back with Rothar, who was carefully leading the human. Since when was Rothar careful? The human kept his face down.

"What is your name?"

The human muttered, "Seth Issac Grey."

"Takinom says that you need our help. Why?"

"I don't remember asking for help."

Chaor turned to Takinom. "So you dicided on your own that this human needed assitance?" He turned back to Seth. "Look at me."

"I can't."

Chaor was beginning to get angry. "Why not."

Seth lifted his face. Chaor cried out and stepped backwards.

Seth's brow furrowed. "I'll give you one guess."

---

Chaor sat in his room, muttering.

"Seth Issac Grey. Seth Issac Grey. Where have I heard that name before? Seth Issac Grey."

He wrote the name out on a paper in front of him. He'd heard the name before, or at least part of it.

--- (Several months ago, UnderWorld City)

The human stood in front of Chaor, unafraid. "I heard that you have a shortage of scribes. It seems using scholars as soldiers doesn't work very well."

Chaor grunted. "Get to the point."

"I'd like to help with your little problem. I help with copying the remaining research papers to a more legible state, and in return I want to be able to make a copy for my own use."

Chaor thought for a moment. That was basically getting all that work done for free. "Accepted."

The human bowed and turned to leave.

"Wait. I forgot to ask your name." It would be good to remember this cheap worker.

"My name is Adam Seth Grey."

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Without My Eyes: Chapter Three - What Help Can You Get From Me

---

Ulmar scratched his exposed brain, puzzling about the disassembled BattleGear on his workbench. Earlier, Chaor had come in with a very peculiar request:

"I need a BattleGear that allows someone to see without using eyes."

The BattleGear Ulmar had taken apart was a Spectral Viewer. He held the piece of green glass that made the entire thing work. There was one problem: It only worked by looking through it. How could it be used to see without using eyes?

---

One good thing about being blind was that many creatures left him alone. In this case, that also was a bad thing, however. Seth didn't know his way around, and nobody wanted to be near him. To top it off, he couldn't find his scanner anywhere. He had spent the past hour messing around with some stuff on a table.

Somebody was walking up behind him. "What is it, Takinom?"

"How did-?"

"People's feet make a unique sound when they walk. In Perim, there is a larger difference between creatures' footsteps."

"Oh." Takinom was silent for a moment, then she sat down next to Seth. She noticed that he had tied a cloth around his head at eye-level. "How did it happen?"

Seth put his face in his hands. Takinom quickly changed the topic. "How did you get here? From what I've heard, humans play some sort of game, and those good at that game get to come here."

With his face still in his hands, Seth answered, "My youngest son, Walter. He taught me how to play, and he'd sit next to me and tell me what was going on while I made all the choices."

Takinom thought for a moment. "He guessed that when you turned into a creature in your Chaotic games, you'd be able to see again."

"Exactly. It's only my eyes that are damaged. The part of my brain that is used to see still works."

Takinom gasped.

"What is it?" Seth turned to Takinom.

"I think you have it!"

"Have what?"

Takinom stood up. "Um, it's a surprise." She quickly left the room, leaving a very confused Seth behind.

---

Ulmar put on the odd headband and closed his eyes. He still couldn't see anything. He took it off and began readjusting the lenses and various knobs along the side. Takinom had given him the idea that a link to the brain might work as a way to bypass the "no eyes" problem he had been given. He put on the headband one more time.

"I've got it!"

He rapidly scampered out of the room.

---

Seth sat quietly as Ulmar rushed about the room. Chaor was sitting in front of him, and Takinom stood at Chaor's side. Seth guessed that everyone was looking at him.

"Could someone _please_ tell me what shorty is doing."

Takinom smothered a laugh. Chaor didn't bother. Ulmar growled then set something on Seth's head.

"What's this?"

Ulmar turned a few knobs on the side of the new BattleGear. "Tell me what you think it is."

Seth's heart skipped a beat. He could see something! It was tinted green, but still! Seth leaped up, and the image moved as well. He saw Chaor, Takinom, and Ulmar, all tinted green.

"Whoa," was all he managed to say as he looked around. "This is amazing!"

Chaor grinned. "Ulmar, I want more of these built. Van Bloot won't stay invisible for long."

--- (Underworld City)

"Oh I won't, will I?" mused Lord van Bloot. He laughed. "Don't be so sure."

He turned from his scry-mirror. "If the M'arrillians could have given me only one thing, I would have chosen this one, Chaor." He picked it up. "That man you helped? He has already assisted me. Victory will be mine!" He laughed again, holding a blue case in his hand. Seth's scanner.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Without My Eyes: Chapter Four - Memorized Battle Plans

---

Seth sat in the back of the vehicle-type BattleGear Chaor drove. Sitting beside Chaor was Takinom. Rothar drove in a different vehicle to the right, and Agitos on the left. Chaor's quite large army followed in various kinds of Gear.

Seth ran the plans through his head again. Lord van Bloot probably had a large army of brainwashed UnderWorlders at his command, while he would be serving under a M'arrillian chieftain. Since a creature's abilities change when under a M'arrillions control, Lord van Bloot's army was most likely positioned to take advantage of each creature's new strengths.

If Chaor focused his attention on any nearby chieftains first, then the remaining opposing army would likely begin to fall apart. Chaor's grudge against Bloot might be to much for him to ignore, though. That's where Seth and Takinom came in. They would help keep Chaor on track if Bloot became Chaor's priority.

"Everything all right back there?" Takinom asked.

Seth looked around. The new BattleGear he wore turned everything a shade of green. Chaor's BattleGear contained many of the other Gear being used for the attack.

"Nothing's broken, yet. These things are more likely to survive this ride if Chaor would stop hitting _every_ pit in the ground."

Seth stood up and, putting his hand against the wall for balance, carefully stepped to the back and pushed a large rack of element-granting BattleGear into a safer position.

"There it is," Chaor growled.

Seth turned and peeked between Chaor's and Takinom's seats. UnderWorld city loomed ahead, with Bloot's army in front of the large gates. Seth adjusted a *** on his BattleGear, and his field of vision zoomed until he could count how many feathers were in Van Bloot's wings.

"Lord Van Bloot is casting Mugic," Seth relayed.

Takinom noted, "Probably some sort of enhancement for his army."

Seth zoomed in further and read the markings on the side of the Mugisphere. He yelped and release the ***, returning the field of view to normal, and shouted, "It's a Song of Disaster!"

Chaor looked at Seth in disbelief. "You can really remember that from looking at a few marks?"

"Yes! Stop!"

The vehicle BattleGears buckled as they attempted to slow, and the first notes of the Mugic's haunting melody began to play. A pillar of twisted light appeared in front of Rothar's vehicle. He swerved to avoid it, and his vehicle lost its grip with the ground and began to spin out of control. Van Bloot's army had begun to charge. Chaor slammed the brakes as hard as the could go.

---

Suddenly, Seth wasn't standing in the back of Chaor's tank. It was his own car, fifteen years ago. He saw his past self slam on the brakes as the van in front began to spin. Suddenly, a car behind them collided with them. Jenny screamed, and the past Seth tried to steer out of the way. The van in front lifted onto two wheels and began to roll . . .

"Cover your eyes!" Seth bellowed.

The past Seth and Jenny put their arms in front of their faces. The shattering glass struck their arms, but there was no further damage to either of them. The front of the car began to smoke. Jenny reached over and pushed the past Seth out of the car, then turned and tried to leave through her own door.

"It's jammed shut! Go the other way!"

Jenny looked back at the present Seth in surprise. He grabbed her arm and pushed her out of the car. He tried to follow, but his leg caught on something. He turned, but couldn't find anything.

The front of the car was on fire, now. Jenny cried out, "Get him out of there!" Seth struggled with the unseen object holding his leg down. There was a sound of tearing metal, and Seth turned. His past self had torn the entire back part of the car away and flung it to the side. He reached inside, grabbed Seth and pulled him from the burning vehicle moments before the entire thing burst into flame.

---

Seth blinked. The face above him wasn't his own, but rather Chaor's. Seth was dazed for a moment, then realized what had really happened. Chaor's army was frantically trying to rescue the remaining BattleGear from Chaor's vehicle.

Lord Van Bloot flew overhead and taunted, "Oh! The mighty Chaor has a pet! Ha ha! Or is it his child? Hahahaha!" He flipped over in midair, dadging several attacks, and flew back to his army.

Seth hadn't missed it. Attached to Van Bloot's belt was his scanner.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Without My Eyes: Chapter Five - Mine Own Hands

---

It had only been a few minutes. Van Bloot had a large army, and he was well prepared for an attack. His army was not prepared for Seth's aim, however. Seth scanned the battleground and spotted Rothar grappling with Ataparol. He lifted his Cyclance, aimed, and pulled the trigger. The stream of electricity hit Ataparol square in the back, and he dropped like a sack of bricks. There were footsteps coming from behind, and Seth spun around. Khybon was advancing on him.

"Sorry about this, Khybon," Seth muttered. Then he stepped forward and swung his Cyclance into Khybon's stomach. Khybon doubled over, and Seth leaped up and planted his foot in Khybon's face. Khybon fell over into a larger group of creatures, knocking everyone over like over-sized dominoes. Seth fired another wave of electricity, and the whole pile fell unconscious.

"Get the human!" a shrill voice called out. Seth glanced up. A M'arrillian! Seth swung his BattleGear in a wide arc while holding the trigger. The chieftain screeched, as well as a significant portion of the creatures surrounding Seth. Seth twirled the Cyclance in a circle. An orb of wind appeared and engulfed the M'arrillian, spinning it around and around. Several of the surrounding creatures began to totter around as if dizzy, some even falling to the ground and heaving up their latest meal.

Seth pulled the trigger to his Cyclance again, but all that came out were a few feeble sparks. He flung it at a creature that had wandered to close to him, then picked up its BattleGear instead. Seth smile. It was a Destructozooka.

Seth glanced around and groaned. Chaor was battling Lord Van Bloot. This was going to be a problem. Seth waded through the battle towards the two, but Brimflame appeared in front of him. He roared and raised his hammer high over his head. Seth swung the Destructozooka up and fire a bolt of lightning into the creature's face. Brimflame's enraged face switched to a blank, distant look. Seth put one finger on the creature's chest and pushed. Brimflame crashed to the ground.

Lord Van Bloot flew overhead, dodging Chaor's Flame Orbs and Power Pulses with ease. He stared at Chaor and made eye contact. "Fear Extension!"

Chaor clutched his head and howled. He fell to his knees, and Bloot swooped down and raised his arms up.

"Deluge of Doom!"

A column of filthy water shot into the sky and crashed down on Chaor. The former leader of the UnderWorld struggled against the foul current. He laid still on the ground as the water flowed away.

"This is the end, Chaor!" Bloot flew up into the sky and raised his Scythe above his head. A ring of red light appeared around him, and he plummeted.

"Charge of the Brave!"

Bloot's Scythe flew in an arc towards Chaor's helpless form, then stopped as it hit something entirely different. Bloot cried out in alarm as he saw Seth standing over Chaor, holding the Scythe's blade back with a single hand.

Bloot withdrew his Scythe and backed away. "Impossible! My Scythe- it should have-"

"It should have cut me down, but my heart is too strong to fall before such an attack." Seth grinned. "I have a challenge for you, along with a wager."

Van Bloot hissed, "A challenge? I have no time to waste with you! Out of my way!"

Chaor began to stir. Seth spoke again, "You will fight me. The winner keeps my scanner you're wearing on your belt. If you deny my challenge, then your entire army will view you as a coward. What would the M'arrillians think of you then?"

Van Bloot's eyes widened, and he looked around. Much of the fighting had ceased, and everyone was staring at the two. Then he snarled. "So be it," he said, then took off into the sky.

Seth raised his BattleGear and fired.

---
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Without My Eyes: Chapter Six - Sky High Battle

---

Lord Van Bloot dove and soared, dodging each blast from Seth's Destructozooka. The fighting had begun again, and Seth momentarily lost sight of Bloot. Seth was getting irritated, he needed to get off the ground. He spotted what he needed, and swung the barrel of the Destructozooka into the head of a creature wearing a Torwegg.

Van Bloot searched the ground below. That human wouldn't get away with making a *** out of him. No matter how hard he looked, he couldn't find Seth.

A stream of electricity bounced off the back of Bloot's armor, and he spun around and saw Seth hovering overhead, aiming downwards.

Seth smirked. "My favorite game at the carnival was the cardboard-duck shooting gallery. Fly, little ducky!"

Bloot screeched, then dodged alternating blasts of wind and lightning. Each blast was barely grazing the sides of Bloot's wings. Bloot shot upwards and extended one hand.

"Vine Snare!"

The long vines shot from Bloot's fingertips and reached for Seth. They coiled around him, but Seth simply dropped and hovered at a lower level. He raised his BattleGear and pulled the trigger, but a pathetic cloud of steam rose from its end. Bloot laughed.

"Oh, very bad luck human! Do you still want to continue? I don't think your fists will serve you as well as- ACK!"

Bloot dove and barely dodged the Destructozooka as Seth flung it at him. As he pulled out of his dive, he searched the air above for the human. This might be the time to reveal his secret.

Bloot grabbed the scanner at his belt and switched to Seth's scans of Mugic. Finding what he wanted, he lifted it upwards. "Canon of Casualty!"

The ground below began to light up. Bloot watched as an enormous heptagon carved itself into the ground. The M'arrillians had prepared it earlier, and now this link to the Cothica would fight for him.

Bloot's heart raced as he heard a voice above him. "Wow! Very nice, Bloot." Bloot looked up at Seth, who aimed another Cyclance at Bloot's head. "Now I have a surprise of my own. Scanner, voice command override. Switch to Song of Stasis and lockdown."

The screen of the scanner in Bloot's hand flickered. Bloot stared at it, and began pressing buttons on the scanner, but nothing happened. He flew down to the walls of UnderWorld city and shouted, "Dispel it, now!"

A fluidmorpher on the wall raised a Mugisphere and called out, "Denial Refrain of the Deep!" The two songs twisted into each other and died.

Seth glaneced into the city, and his heart jumped. Another army ten times the size of the one outside the wall was waiting within the walls of the city. He flew over to Chaor, shouting, "They have an even larger army behind the walls! You need to turn back!"

"What? I'm not retreating!" Chaor shouted.

"Chaor! The best leader is one who knows when he's in over his head! If you continue fighting, you won't get another chance to take down Bloot!"

Chaor stared, then turned around and bellowed, "Fall back! Fall back!"

Seth spun around when he heard Bloot flying up from behind. Bloot taunted, "Running away, are we? Does that mean that I've won our little wager?"

"I still have business with you, Bloot." Seth leaned forward and shoot towards Bloot.

Bloot raised his Scythe up high. "I'll find some way to give my condolences to your widow."

Seth barreled into Bloot's chest and wrapped his hands around the creature's neck. He leaned close to Bloot's face and whispered, "If this is the end of the line for me, my other self will continue to take care of my children, and this self will finally meet again with my wife.

Bloot's eyes widened, and he screamed as Seth dove towards the ground. He beat his wings helplessly as the ground came closer and closer.

---

Takinom stared as Seth and Bloot fell from the sky. Eventually, every eye was on the pair as they plummeted faster and faster.

There was a crash. Dust filled the air. Whne the dust settled, Bloot was staggering to his feet. Seth laid on the ground, surrounded by the shattered remains of the Torwegg. He didn't move.

Bloot coughed, then flung Seth's scanner to the ground. "Congratulations. You've 'won' our little game." He weakly flew into the air and retreated.

The BattleGear Seth had worn on his head had snapped in half. He laid on his face, and the surrounding ground was beginning to be stained red.

---

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am