Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

What are your opinions on Premium Packs? Worth it or not?

TheOneVeyronian
    TheOneVeyronian
    Common

Chaotic Username : Barrakigirl
    Chaotic Coins : 48

What are your opinions on Premium Packs? Worth it or not? Empty What are your opinions on Premium Packs? Worth it or not?

Post by TheOneVeyronian Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:48 am

So I have Chaotic as a saved search in my eBay page, and a few days ago a listing for a small bunch of Premium Packs popped up in my inbox. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAOTIC-TCG-PREMIUM-EDITION-SEASON-1-LOT-OF-7-BOOSTER-PACKS-NEW-amp-SEALED-/351790319222?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276.

Now normally when listings for Chaotic stuff from my country that isn't usually seen for sale in my country gets me excited (I was delighted when a random mixed lot of 50 boosters arrived last week and it unexpectedly included 9 Alliances Unraveled boosters!). But the price of these Premium Packs makes me baulk a bit. 35 English pounds for 7 packs? I appreciate they are all foils, but I'm not sure if they are worth getting at that price, especially considering I probably have over half the Supers and Ultras from DoP to SS, many in multiples and all first editions. Could be nice for their novelty value and to have a more complete collection but these things are really hard to find in the UK...

Also, I got an Iron Pillar in a trade on TCO the other day (it came from Canada), but it's foil seems different to the regular holos. It's holo is like a "pillars of light" or maybe even a ripple pattern. Is this a premium foil card (it doesn't look like gold foil to me) or something quite different?

Here's a picture of it, next to a first edition Stone Pillar for comparison:
    What are your opinions on Premium Packs? Worth it or not? Dscn7410

Thoughts?
    Blitser
    Blitser
    Marrillian

Chaotic Username : Blitser
    Chaotic Coins : 425

What are your opinions on Premium Packs? Worth it or not? Empty Re: What are your opinions on Premium Packs? Worth it or not?

Post by Blitser Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:57 pm

That type of foil you got is quite literally called a ripple foil within the chaotic community. A term coined by me on the original forums years and years ago. Funny that you'd use the right name by chance. haha

They are the true first edition cards from DoPS. There are cards with regular foil from the set which will say they're first edition but aren't actually since they're a second, or later, printing from after ripple foil was no longer being used.

As for those premium packs - that price is comparable to what they would have been brand new. I haven't tried to get any since Chaotic went under, but I can't imagine that's a good, or normal, price. On top of that the foil in premium packs is, in my opinion, the ugliest TCD ever printed, and the cards are riddled with typos.
    TheOneVeyronian
    TheOneVeyronian
    Common

Chaotic Username : Barrakigirl
    Chaotic Coins : 48

What are your opinions on Premium Packs? Worth it or not? Empty Re: What are your opinions on Premium Packs? Worth it or not?

Post by TheOneVeyronian Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Blitser wrote:That type of foil you got is quite literally called a ripple foil within the chaotic community. A term coined by me on the original forums years and years ago. Funny that you'd use the right name by chance. haha

They are the true first edition cards from DoPS. There are cards with regular foil from the set which will say they're first edition but aren't actually since they're a second, or later, printing from after ripple foil was no longer being used.

As for those premium packs - that price is comparable to what they would have been brand new. I haven't tried to get any since Chaotic went under, but I can't imagine that's a good, or normal, price. On top of that the foil in premium packs is, in my opinion, the ugliest TCD ever printed, and the cards are riddled with typos.

To be fair, I'd seen the term passed around occassionally but I wasn't completely sure what a ripple foil looked like Smile

That's quite cool actually, I didn't know that. I knew later runs of DoPS had foil rares as opposed to foiled text rares from the first runs, but all the packs of DoPS I've opened recently have had foiled text rares and the so-called "regular holos" (and all the DoPS packs I opened years back all had foil rares and regular holo supers). I prefer the ripple holos to the standard holos, I wonder why they didn't keep it?

As for the premium packs... I agree. I've never actually seen a premium foil card but I'd be interested to see a comparison pic at some point. The seller of those was also the one who sold me the £25 50 random booster lots (where I got some AU packs, just when I thought getting AU packs was impossible), I'm a bit surprised they've priced these premium packs so high. I might skip them, if it was a listing for one pack for a couple of pounds I would have thought differently of course and got a single pack basically to see what they were like for myself.

I wonder, what is the super/ultra distribution ratios of the Premium Packs? I'm sure I saw it mentioned somewhere but now I can't find it Unsure

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:16 pm