Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
TheOneVeyronian
Battle95
Chiodosin1
7 posters

testing the waters

Poll

What type of tourney should I have

[ 0 ]
    testing the waters Bar_left0%testing the waters Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    testing the waters Bar_left50%testing the waters Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 3 ]
    testing the waters Bar_left50%testing the waters Bar_right [50%] 

Total Votes: 6
    Poll closed
    Chiodosin1
    Chiodosin1
    Ultra Rare

Chaotic Username : Chiodosin1
    Chaotic Coins : 1095

testing the waters Empty testing the waters

Post by Chiodosin1 Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 pm

I was kinda thinking about hosting another tournament but I wasn't sure what type people would be most intrested in so let me know
    1. normal 6v6: this is the format your all used to you play 6v6 masters and you can build a deck using whatever cards you want its the simplest.
    2. banned list 6v6 this is where I make a banlist of some of the more powerful cards, I'm probably gonna lean to the conservative side, probably about a dozen card or less on here, examples would be zamool, najarin FF and aerdak.  
    3. limited is where I give you a list of cards and you build a deck using only those cards,  this one is probably a bit more complex but it does make for some fun decks since everyones lists are different and your stuck using certain cards. this tourny would also be 6v6 most likely,

go ahead and let me know what you think, if you wouldn't participate in a tournament at all don't vote so I can see the numbers better.

Last edited by Chiodosin1 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:06 am; edited 2 times in total
    Battle95
    Battle95
    Common

Chaotic Username : Battle95
    Chaotic Coins : 30

testing the waters Empty Re: testing the waters

Post by Battle95 Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:40 pm

I don't think we need to ban certain cards (even though Zamool is cancer), but maybe play with a nerf? Perhaps, limiting how many counters Naj can gain a turn, or overall etc. Since we are really the only ones playing, we can ourselves really set up the meta. I would definitely like to know what everyone else is feeling though.
    Chiodosin1
    Chiodosin1
    Ultra Rare

Post by Chiodosin1 Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:14 pm

see I did that once but banning cards is much less confusing for the players, and then I don't have to worry about cards still being too good with a nerf. mainly its the confusion thing so we either play with all the cards or take out a few that's what I'm willing to go with.
    TheOneVeyronian
    TheOneVeyronian
    Common

Chaotic Username : Barrakigirl
    Chaotic Coins : 48

Post by TheOneVeyronian Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:51 pm

I don't have a lot of time or experience with participating in Chaotic tournaments, but I had an idea if you were to do a Limited tournament, you're more than welcome to use my Chaotic plugin for LackeyCCG (here: https://chaoticbackup.forumotion.com/t1232-a-chaotic-plugin-for-lackeyccg ) to generate random card pools by selecting boosters and starter decks (I built a tool into it to do just that). It'd definitely be fun and reminiscent of the Limited tournaments that existed when Chaotic was active (those ones where you built decks from just cards from a starter pack and 5 boosters). Just a thought of course Smile
    lazerbem
    lazerbem
    Super Rare

Chaotic Username : lazerbem
    Chaotic Coins : 596

Post by lazerbem Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Banned list would be amazing for the game state, imo.
    Chiodosin1
    Chiodosin1
    Ultra Rare

Post by Chiodosin1 Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm

@veyronian that's sweet! should save me a decent chunk of time should we do that.

Battle95
    Battle95
    Common

Chaotic Username : Battle95
    Chaotic Coins : 30

Post by Battle95 Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:36 pm

A limited(is that the same as sealed?) deck tournament would be awesome. If there's a vote on the next tournament, I would definitely want to do that.
    Chiodosin1
    Chiodosin1
    Ultra Rare

Post by Chiodosin1 Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:56 pm

oh yeah limited is just sealed sorry I was using Mtg terminology
    Oraklon Afjak
    Oraklon Afjak
    Rare

Chaotic Username : Afjak∞
    Chaotic Coins : 213

Post by Oraklon Afjak Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:57 am

For the sake of argument and preventing exactly that, these are generally the criteria that make a card banworthy. Consider these first rather than just naming something that's strong (Chaotic players like throwing "overpowered" around too much).

1. A card that is too good not to be run, regardless of the deck, and must be run to be competitive.
    2. A card whose existence only enables degeneracy.
    3. A card whose existence prevents decks from being viable or otherwise is oppressive to metagame potential.
    4. A card that results in free wins with little effort in deck construction, or otherwise will prevent players from playing the game to a major degree.
    5. A card that subtracts too much variance by adding an unhealthy level of consistency to certain decks or the game at large.

I might edit this later if I can better collect my thoughts.
    Chiodosin1
    Chiodosin1
    Ultra Rare

Post by Chiodosin1 Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:26 am

Oracle Afjak wrote:For the sake of argument and preventing exactly that, these are generally the criteria that make a card banworthy. Consider these first rather than just naming something that's strong (Chaotic players like throwing "overpowered" around too much).

1. A card that is too good not to be run, regardless of the deck, and must be run to be competitive.
    2. A card whose existence only enables degeneracy.
    3. A card whose existence prevents decks from being viable or otherwise is oppressive to metagame potential.
    4. A card that results in free wins with little effort in deck construction, or otherwise will prevent players from playing the game to a major degree.
    5. A card that subtracts too much variance by adding an unhealthy level of consistency to certain decks or the game at large.

I might edit this later if I can better collect my thoughts.

yeah that's a pretty good guideline though the actually criteria is whatever I want lol but yeah I'll do my best to not chop up too many things.
    but yeah you saw the mess of opinions lol its good to have input but whatever I decide is gonna be it at the end of the day, anyway I'll worry more about it if/when the one wins.
    TheOneVeyronian
    TheOneVeyronian
    Common

Chaotic Username : Barrakigirl
    Chaotic Coins : 48

Post by TheOneVeyronian Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:51 am

Chiodosin1 wrote:@veyronian that's sweet! should save me a decent chunk of time should we do that.

And another thought, people could even choose which boosters and starter deck they would like to have form their sealed card pool of around 98 cards (but I think for the sake of fairness everyone should get the same type of boosters but allow them to choose their own tribal starter deck, and probably keep it to a single block like only boosters/starters from the M'arrillian Invasion block like a real sealed tournament would). Of course, not everyone will have access to LackeyCCG, but you only need one person to generate sealed pools and send each player a list with their pool.

Here's an example of a quick sealed pool I generated in the program using 5 Beyond the Doors boosters and a Mipedian MI starter deck: http://sta.sh/01q7o5pjm3sx (don't be put off by the fact it looks like code, it should be readable enough) Smile
    Chiodosin1
    Chiodosin1
    Ultra Rare

Post by Chiodosin1 Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:44 am

huh looks good, yeah I think I'll be giving the same sets to everyone for the sake of balance no need to reward whoever knows which sets are best or something.
    lazerbem
    lazerbem
    Super Rare

Chaotic Username : lazerbem
    Chaotic Coins : 596

Post by lazerbem Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:58 pm

The reason I like the idea of a banlist is because of the advent of a couple of OTK and loop decks that this one guy showed off that really have very little in the way of a counter. Without a list in place, wouldn't it just result in everyone copying the loop/OTK deck and then winning because if any one person has that deck, then they're going to win?
    Chaotic11
    Chaotic11
    Common

Chaotic Username : Chaotic11
    Chaotic Coins : 38

Post by Chaotic11 Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:14 pm

I'll go with limited because it avoids a meta tournament the most. Although meta is fine in my overall opinion, we can play meta whenever we want really. If I played a tournament now i'd pref limited (at least this go around) because it encourages unpredictability and creativity.
    King A-Game Darini
    King A-Game Darini
    Mipedian

Chaotic Username : agame
    Chaotic Coins : 700

Post by King A-Game Darini Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:59 pm

lazerbem wrote:The reason I like the idea of a banlist is because of the advent of a couple of OTK and loop decks that this one guy showed off that really have very little in the way of a counter. Without a list in place, wouldn't it just result in everyone copying the loop/OTK deck and then winning because if any one person has that deck, then they're going to win?

You mean this? https://chaoticbackup.forumotion.com/t1150-swing-for-the-fences

Yeah if you pull Lake Ken-I-Po and they don't have something like Iflar with untargetable. You win.

A-Game's ban list

Zamool,Tonal Destruction,Vial of Liquid Thought,Bodal(Flame Drill Researcher),Aerdak (or nerf to remove last ability),Droniq (or make his first ability cost 2 or 3 or make it once per combat),Primal smash,Imaginary walls,Rao'Pa Sahkk, Condensation Ceremony, and  Refrain of denial (all of the them)

you can use Clash or Interlude if you want.

On the fence about

Najarin,Fluid morph Foe
    I think if he got a nerf it should be gain 5 e for 2 mc and his counter ability should cost 4.

I can go on about why. I added refrain of denial's because it makes your Mugic slots 4 by either getting refrained or having to run 2 refrain yourself. This isn't magic where it's a deck type.

(that actually is just as annoying to play against as meek is in chaotic cause it stops the opponent from playing difference is meek is easier to pull off by a lot so Counter spells in magic are far from OP)

Lastly Meek is also on the fence for me. It's really a fragile combo. Might not look like it when facing it but when using it it really can be. If Refrain goes I guess meek can too although I'd argue against it. Not just cause I like it but because it's a whole deck type. While frustrating..isn't unbeatable in the slightest.

(if were talking staples, Xerium armor and bi-mower cycle goes in like everyone of my decks personally.)
    Chiodosin1
    Chiodosin1
    Ultra Rare

Post by Chiodosin1 Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:07 pm

votes tied and only about a day left so if you got an opinion nows the time
    King A-Game Darini
    King A-Game Darini
    Mipedian

Chaotic Username : agame
    Chaotic Coins : 700

Post by King A-Game Darini Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Well its tied so just be the tie breaker.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content