Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Don't forget to join our Discord!

Chaotic TCG Backup Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Of Men and Mugic

monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Chaotic Username : monkeymania1
    Chaotic Coins : 348
    Location : Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Of Men and Mugic - Page 5 Empty Re: Of Men and Mugic

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Powerless: Chapter One - Duplicate

=====

Paul stared as the BattleDrome changed Adam's body into Aad'aam. He almost considered forfeiting right there, but curiosity got the better of him.

Soon, Paul stood at the edge of the Mugician's Lake in Maxxor's body. He didn't even have time to orient himself when Adam leaped over the other side of the lake.

While in midair, Adam pointed eight fingers at Maxxor. "Thousand Ice Needles!" The attack impacted, causing Paul to hit the ground. Paul rolled to his feet and lifted his fists. "Rockwa-!"

"Gravitywave!" Adam roared, and Paul launched into the air, unable to finish his attack. He aimed a fist towards Adam. "Flame Or-!"

"FREEZE FLASH!" A burst of light momentarily blinded Paul. When his sight returned, both his hands were encased in ice. "Why are you so mad at everyone?" he asked as he landed on the ground.

A pained looked flickered across Aad'aam's face, and Adam shouted, "I'M MAD AT AA'UNE!" Adam whipped a hand towards the lake, and a ball of water flew out and froze around Paul's feet. "I learned Mugic so I could protect myself, but the first Mugic I ever cast was to protect Wally. AND NOW AA'UNE'S HOLDING HIM HOSTAGE, AND I CAN'T SAVE HIM!"

"Wally's being held hostage?" Paul asked.

Adam didn't seem to hear him. "Wally tried to save me when Aa'une turned me into this...." Adam screamed at the sky, and shards of ice began to fall. Paul covered his head with his frozen hands, but a chunk of ice as large as him struck him, and he burst into code.

----- (Deepmines)

Aa'une floated in front of Wally, gloating. "It's finally done, Walter. Do you want to see it?"

Wally didn't even look up. He was too exhausted to lift his head from the ground. He couldn't even peer into Aa'une's mind.

Aa'une laughed. "_This_ is what my tribe was afraid of? Incredible."

Wally noticed a violet grid of light on the ground. His eyes widened, and he mustered enough strength to turn his head. Aa'une held a small object in his hands, emitting a violet scanning light. "The scanner?"

Aa'une laughed, "And here's my favorite feature." He fiddled with the object a bit, and then he was enveloped in a violet light. Wally gasped as the light faded. In front of him was an exact copy of him.

The other Wally grinned, even as he reached his hand out to the wall to support himself. "I believe it's time for a family reunion..."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Location : Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Powerless: Chapter Two - False Return

=====

Word travels much faster in Chaotic than on Earth. Not even a day had passed, and it seemed that all the Chaotic players knew that Wally had been captured. Nobody knew anything beyond that, but people pretended they had an idea what was going on.

"It's a trick, of course," one person claimed. "Wally planned all of this, and he's going to take out the M'arrillians from the inside."

Others had a darker view. "No way. Aa'une's trying to make Wally into another M'arrillian, like he did with Adam."

Even the pessimists disagreed with each other. "Do you really think he'd try and do that again? Look what happened last time. He'd simply brainwash him."

----- (Kiru City)

William had gotten quite lost. Kiru City was so packed with creatures from the Dryland Alliance that he'd stumbled into the crowd the instant he'd ported in, and now he'd forgotten the reason he came in the first place.

A voice asked, "Can I help you?"

William turned. "I don't know, Tangath."

"Then you should probably leave. A meeting between the Dryland tribes is beginning, and-"

Tangath's next words were cut short by a shout of surprise. A circle cleared in the crowd, and William saw a badly burned kid struggling to stand.

"Walter!" Tangath rushed forward and held him steady before he fell over.

Wally gasped, "Urgent... Where's... Maxxor..."

----- (Deepmines)

Aer'dak smirked at Wally, who was still chained to the wall. "Aa'une imitates you very well, don't you think? The Dryland tribes will literally give prized secrets to him, thinking he's you."

"Not if I can stop him."

"Big words. Who could possibly help you here, though? Everyone else thinks you've escaped."

----- (Elsewhere in the Deepmines)

M'arrillians call this cavern the "Junk Pile". When a minion has "outlived its usefulness", they "retire" them here.

...For those who haven't caught on yet, this is where M'arrillians dump dead bodies.

A faint red mist appeared over the room. It spiraled down and poured into one of the OverWorld corpses. The creature's hand twitched, and its eyes opened.

"Where are you, son of Raquez?"

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Let's take a tiny break from the current story, because this chapter is actually outside of the current story:
    ================================================================

Punishment
    by Quazer

=====

Perim was very different a thousand solems ago. Translated into a human's measurement of time, that's about five hundred years. The memories of the conflict with the M'arrillians had long ago been lost, and the search for the Cothica had resumed.

At this moment, however, the OverWorlders had something a little more personal to deal with.

Najarin stood on a cliff, unhappily gazing at the small settlement at its base. A group of OverWorlders had separated themselves from the tribe and were threatening to attack the capital city.

Najarin sighed and lifted himself into the air, flying back to the temporary military base keeping the dissenters in check. The king, Raquez, waited for him on the ground, wearing a simple traveler's cloak.

"They are still making battle preparations," Najarin reported as he landed. "I do not believe they plan to surrender."

Raquez's face showed no signs of shock or surprise. "They've hardened their hearts to the point that will not listen to reason."

"Why did you give them three days to surrender? You knew what would happen from the very start!"

Raquez turned away and gazed at the distant settlement. "A victory of blood is only a victory if you try everything else first. And, even then, everyone still loses."

Raquez let his cloak fall to the ground, revealing his royal garb beneath it. He stretched his wings wide and flapped them once, lifting his body a long distance into the air. Another flap of his wings sent him directly to the rebel's camp, and he hovered as he delivered his message.

"My fellow OverWorlders," Raquez's voice echoed, "I gave you three days to reconsider your position. Those who regret their dissension may leave without penalty."

Raquez watched as a small group of creatures left the camp, threw down their weapons, and retreated to Raquez's base. The rest of the camp mocked them for cowardice.

Raquez spoke again, "Is there anyone else who wishes to follow their wise example?"

One creature in the camp, the leader of the rebels, shouted back, "We won't be ruled by a demon-king! Go back to the UnderWorld where your kind belongs, worm!" The rebels cheered for their leader, and he grinned. He was prepared for any attack Raquez's army would make.

Raquez's voice remained steady as he replied, "This people sees us as Over or Under, and their vile words tear the world asunder."

"Save your poems for that spawn of yours, Raquez!"

Raquez was silent for a while. Then, with a resigned expression, he said, "I see that you are to far gone to be saved." He raised his hands to the sky and cried, "Remove these vengeful creatures from this world, my army of the sky!"

A look of confusion flickered across the rebel leader's face. He had expected Raquez to order his army to attack, but an army of the sky? Then he noticed a bright light appear in the sky. The light grew larger and larger-

----- (A thousand solem later)

There are rumors even today that the rebel's voices still hang in the air over the crater, begging Raquez to spare them. History books state that thiswas the only rebellion ever against Raquez during his reign.

=================================================================
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Powerless: Chapter Three - Oversight

===== (Kiru City)

Tangath waited as healers tended to Walter, staring at the scanner Walter had dropped. Tangath had tried to make the human port out of Perim, only for odd messages to display on the screen. What did "Error: #1" mean?

"The human's awake," a healer called from the tent a while later, "...and he's panicking."

-----

Aa'une, disguised as Walter, looked around the tent in fake alarm. When Tangath Toborn entered, Aa'une blurted, "Are you the real you?"

Tangath blinked, confused. A healer whispered to him, "I don't think he knows that he escaped the Deepmines."

Tangath nodded. "What can I do to prove that I'm not an imitation, Walter?"

Aa'une pulled up one of Walter's memories, marveling that nobody was suspicious. "...Who was the first creature that challenged the Songthief in the Deepmines a few days ago?"

"That was Prince Mudeenu."

Aa'une made himself look relaxed for a moment, then widened his eyes. "Is he okay?"

Tangath laughed. "He's fine, but a little bitter that a human had to save him." Tangath's face grew serious. "Before I forget, there seems to be a problem with your scanner-"

Aa'une pretended to panic again. "What happened? Is it broken? Where is it?"

-----

Tangath sat outside the tent AGAIN as the healers tried to calm Walter down. He could understand why Walter was being so difficult. The burns on the human's back showed that the M'arrillians had badly hurt him, maybe even through torture. Tangath shuddered as he imagined what Walter had to go through.

Tangath's thoughts were interrupted by Adam's voice: "What do you mean we can't see him yet?"

Tangath saw Adam push through a pair of guards and head for the healer's tent, followed closely by Seth. Tangath grabbed Adam's shoulder before he could barge in.

Adam glared at Tangath. "Not you, too! Why can't I go in?"

"He's been hurt. We are doing our best to help him recover-"

Seth cut in, "Then give him his scanner!"

Tangath closed his eyes and shook his head. "There seems to be a problem with his scanner as well. Please, be patient."

Adam and Seth looked anything but patient, but they resigned themselves to waiting outside. Soon afterwards, the last person Tangath expected to come demanded to be let into the healer's tent.

"I have a question, and he has the answer!" Chaor roared as he kicked one of the guards out of the way. Chaor spotted Seth and Adam, then said, "Then again, you can answer just as well."

Tangath put a hand on the hilt of his sword as Chaor stepped closer. "Don't try anything, Chaor," he snarled.

Chaor ignored him and stood in front of Adam. "Show me your right hand."

Adam shot Chaor a look, but complied. Chaor sighed and muttered, "Not the _palm_ of your hand." Adam raised an eyebrow and turned his hand around.

Chaor stared for a long time at the mark on Adam's hand, then turned to Seth. "What about you?"

Seth lifted his hand as well, asking, "Any particular reason you want to see this?"

"Yes," Chaor muttered, his voice sounding uncharacteristically subdued. "Because I have that mark as well. That's the mark of Raquez, the Meteor Lord."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Powerless: Chapter Four - Blade Point Escape

===== (Deepmines)

Wally tilted his head to the side, listening. "Do you hear that, Aer'dak? It sounds like trouble."

Aer'dak rolled her eyes and ignored Wally.

Wally continued, "Something's been bugging me for a while now. Like someone's looking for me. Some I don't want to find me."

Aer'dak covered her ears.

"You know, if it is who I think it is, you're going to have a big problem on your-"

Aer'dak screamed in frustration. "Do you ever stop talking?!" Wally opened his mouth to speak, and the fluidmorpher shouted, "If you say ONE more word, I swear I'll-"

Aer'dak was interrupted by loud banging on the doors to the cavern, followed by a Kha'rall ordering, "Grab her! Don't let her get- AUGH!!!" There was a sick snapping sound, followed by another distorted cry of pain.

Wally looked pale. "It IS who I think it is."

Now Aer'dak was listening to Wally. "Who is it?"

"Two hints: she's looking for me, and she's probably beating a Kha'rall to death with his own arm."

Color drained from Aer'dak's face, and she floated over to Wally and unlocked the chains that held him to the wall.

-----

Blade lifted a Kha'rall's body into the air and flung him into the door one final time. The barrier shattered, and the Kha'rall's corpse tumbled into the room beyond it. Blade stepped over the debris and glanced around the room. "Where is-?"

Aer'dak pointed to an open door. "He went that way!"

----- (Kiru City)

Tangath sat with Adam, Seth, and the person who LOOKED like Wally. "I am aware of the confusion about the past couple days, and what caused it. But this has given us an opportunity we would not have had previously. Walter, what have you discovered from your imprisonment?"

Aa'une smiled inwardly, not letting the emotion show on Walter's face, and delivered the lines he'd been preparing.

----- (Deepmines)

"Lo'q?" Wally called into the next hallway. No answer. Wally stepped in and checked the rooms anyway. What if she couldn't answer?

Wally felt that Blade was getting closer. He was in such a hurry he almost missed Lo'q's cell.

"Lo'q! Wake up!" Lo'q didn't move. Wally reached through the bars of the prison door and chucked the Mugisphere he'd stolen from Aer'dak. It glanced of off Lo'q's shoulder, but it was enough to wake her.

"Walter?" Lo'q was a tad confused. "What's going-"

Wally interrupted her, "Look, I'm sorry I got you thrown in here, but I'm going to get us both out. Please include me with the Deep Song of Riptide Mugic in there."

Lo'q groggily looked around for the Mugisphere while stating, "Actually, I'm grateful you told me the truth about Aa'une. It was MY choice to try and set you free when you- LOOK OUT!"

Wally ducked, and the Kha'rall's fist flew over his head and smashed the wall instead. The Kha'rall shouted, "JAIL BREAK! JAIL BR-"

At that moment Blade tackled the Kha'rall. "Don't you dare hurt him!"

Lo'q stared for a moment. "Friend of yours?"

Panicking, Wally yelled, "The Mugic!"

The Kha'rall wrestled with Blade, getting a lucky hit in and knocking her across the hall. He scrambled to his feet and spotted Lo'q and Wally rising into the air, the Mugic taking effect. He roared and charged forward, grabbing Wally's leg and lifting into the air himself.

The red mist poured from Blade's borrowed body and flowed into the Mugical portal just as it was about to close.

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Powerless: Chapter Five - Who's Who?

===== (???)

The Mugical tunnel was beginning to make Wally dizzy. One moment he'd see the Mipedim Oasis, and the next moment he was looking at UnderWorld City. He had a faint sensation of something holding on to his leg...

"Where are you headed?" Lo'q called out. Wally almost didn't hear her.

Wally closed his eyes and focused on Aa'une's mind. A hazy picture of Kiru City popped in his head- "Take me to Kiru City!"

POP!

Wally, Lo'q, and the tag-along Kha'rall hit the ground a ways from Kiru City's outer wall. Wally discovered that something WAS grabbing his leg.

The Kha'rall raised raised a claw into the air. "Supercooled-!"

"Morphwrath!" Lo'q cried, firing water into the Kha'rall's face from her hands. The Kha'rall covered his face with his claws, releasing Wally in the process.

----- (Minutes later)

Everyone in "Wally's" medical tent turned as a guard entered. The guard spoke, "General Tangath, there's someone outside who... what the?" The guard stared at Aa'une (who looked like Wally at the time) then turned to glance behind.

"He's a fake!" Wally cried out as he pushed past the guard. About half of the creatures in the tent readied attacks at the Wally who'd just come in, while the other half aimed at the Wally who'd been in the tent the entire time. Adam pulled the meteor sword from under his seat and handed it to Seth, but neither could figure out who to aim at.

After an awkward pause, Tangath, who happened to be aiming each of his hands at each Wally, broke the silence. "Well, this is a dilemma. Who's pretending?"

Seth muttered, "The M'arrillians were working on a scanner, so we can't use the knowledge test. If this scanner was completed, then the fake could have all of Wally's memories..."

Chaor rolled his eyes and yanked the meteor sword out of Seth's reach, then stepped between both Wally's. He glanced in both directions, laid his hand on the table, and stabbed the back of his hand.

----- (Outside the walls)

Lo'q ducked under the Kha'rall's Steam Rage, then fired another jet of water toward the Kha'rall. She forced herself not to start panicking, even though both her and her child's life were on the line.

The Kha'rall leaped over Lo'q's attack, landing right in front of her. Before Lo'q could react, he was holding her by the throat. He leaned in close and asked, "Why did you do it? Why did you betray your own tribe?"

Lo'q gasped, "Aa'une uses people for his own gain. He's (gasp) using you right now!"

The Kha'rall brust out laughing. "Our Oligarch picked you over every other female in all of the Deepmines! What, did you want more than that? Maybe a seat on the Oligarchy?"

Lo'q couldn't answer. She tugged at the Kha'rall's claw, trying to breathe.

The Kha'rall threw Lo'q to the ground, shaking his head. "So you threw it all away...." He aimed a claw at Lo'q's chest. "Plasmarrow."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Powerless: Chapter Six - Living or Dying

===== (Kiru City)

Aa'une gasped in pain and grabbed the back of his (well, Wally's) hand as Chaor roared in pain. Aa'une gaped as an angry red mark spread across his hand, different from Wally's mark.

Chaor growled as he yanked the sword from the table and his hand, then turned to the fake Wally. "Raquez never liked imposters," he declared, holding the sword awkwardly in his left hand. "You never knew that, did you, Aa'une?"

Aa'une's eyes widened in shock, and he snarled and charged at Chaor, his disguise dissolving into violet code. Chaor tossed the meteor sword into the air as Aa'une leaped, and the sword span in the air towards the M'arrillian-

Aa'une's body melted into water again and hit the ground with a mundane splash, and Chaor caught the soaked sword as it fell.

Adam discovered that he'd been holding his breath. He exhaled quickly, then looked around for Wally, but Wally had vanished.

----- (A little later, Outside Kiru City)

Wally sped passed the Kha'rall, followed by Adam a few moments later. The Kha'rall turned, frozen in confusion. Was that Walter or the Oligarch?

Not long after that, Chaor charged through the city gates as well. Without hesitation, he plunged the sword through the Kha'rall's back as he charged past.

The Kha'rall felt a sudden numbness envelope his body. He turned his head down and stared at the sword protruding from his chest. Chaor yanked the sword out as he followed Adam and Wally, caused the Kha'rall to roll forward.

The Kha'rall's face hit the ground, and he laid there, trying to push himself up. He managed to roll his headside ways before he collapsed, his strength gone. The last thing he saw before his vision faded was a red mist approaching his broken body...

-----

"LO'Q!" Wally called out, panicking AGAIN. If the Kha'rall hadn't been fighting her, then she must be badly hurt or-

"Walter?" a weak voice asked next to the wall. Wally rushed to her, his face going pale as he saw the Plasmarrows sticking out from her chest.

Adam arrived next, staring at the M'arrillian in confusion. Without turning around, Wally exclaimed, "She needs help! Hang on, Lo'q!"

Chaor pieced everything together the moment he arrived. He turned and called out to the OverWorld army, "This M'arrillian is our ally! She needs immediate medical attention!"

Lo'q struggled to sit up, then gasped in pain and laid down, holding her stomach. "No... it's too soon. Not yet..."

"What's too soon? What's wrong?" Wally asked.

Lo'q turned her head towards Wally, and he immediately knew. The fear in her eyes was not that of a woman fearing for her life, but of a mother fearing for the life of her child.

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Powerless: Chapter Seven - Early

===== (Later)

Lo'q's tent was pitched outside the city walls. Moving her would've been to dangerous, so it was the only place.

Wally sat with his brother and father outside the tent. His eyes seemed to have glazed over from all the stress. When Adam or Seth tried to speak with him, the most they could get out of him was a grunt.

Maxxor was also outside the tent, speaking with several of the soldiers posted as guards. He also had the look of someone who'd done too much for one day.

"...I guess we do owe her that much," Maxxor sighed. "What progress has been made?"

The captain of the soldiers shrugged. "We haven't been in there."

Maxxor nodded, then made his way into the tent. After a few minutes, he stepped out again, the stress on his face much more pronounced. He called out, "Seth Grey? I need to speak with you."

Seth hugged Wally tightly again, then stood and followed Maxxor's voice. "Yes?"

Maxxor lowered his voice so only Seth would hear. "The M'arrillian isn't doing well. She slipped into unconsciousness after her child was delivered, and ever since her condition has fallen rapidly."

Seth shivered. "Why are you telling me?"

"The OverWorld healers are used to healing via Mugic, but the Plasmarrow attack she suffered through is preventing that from working. We don't know enough about how a person's body works to-"

Seth already knew what Maxxor was suggesting. "Maxxor, it's been fifteen years- thirty solem for me! I've never even touched a scalpel since I lost my sight! I can't help!"

"You yourself told me that you used to be the best surgeon in your country, Seth," Maxxor exclaimed. "Mugic can solve your blindness while you help, and your memory is-"

"-Is perfect, yes, but only my mental memory. My muscle memory is completely-"

"Walter wants us to save her life," Maxxor interrupted. "We can't do it without you."

Seth fell silent. Then he said, "I'll do my best."

----- (Later)

Seth lifted another of the... the whatever-Plasmarrows-are-made-ofs... from the hole it had made in Lo'q's chest. Progress was painfully slow. Nobody made a sound while Seth worked, except for an occasional wail from the newborn M'arrillian behind him. Seth had only seen the newborn for a moment when the Song of Truesight had taken effect, but that's all the look he needed.

The M'arrillian could easily fit in the palm of Seth's hand. Its body was a pale blue, and its fingers were webbed together. Other than that and the fact that it was quite immature, it appeared to be a mini-Aa'une. It was very unsettling.

Seth stepped back and wiped the sweat of his face, stepping forward only when he'd dipped his hands into a hot pail of water to disinfect. Seth let his hands cool, then proceed to loosen another Plasmarrow. After a moment, he grabbed the very end of the "arrow" and prepared to ease it out-

Seth's vision blacked out. This hadn't happened before! The only time the Mugic had worn off before was when he'd ported somewhere using his scanner! Seth immediately tried to steady himself, but then he felt something that made his heart skip a beat...

Lo'q was bleeding heavily.

-----

Wally's head snapped up. He stood and looked around wildly.

"Wally? What's-"

Adam didn't get to finish. Wally was already running for the tent.

Wally pushed the flap of the tent away, then froze. Many creatures were around Lo'q, trying to keep her from bleeding anymore. They weren't succeeding.

"Lo'q!" Wally cried out, hoping- praying that it was only his mind playing tricks on him again. Lo'q opened her eyes weakly and turned he head to the sound of Wally's voice. Wally's heart sank when he saw the resigned look on her face.

"Wal...ter...," she breathed slowly, "...take... care of..."

Wally hurried forward, tears streaming down his face. Lo'q's voice was only a whisper now.

Lo'q repeated, "Take care... of him...." She struggled to breathe, then whispered, "His... name....... is.......... Azaia."

Lo'q's face relaxed as she exhaled heavily. She didn't take another breath.

Except for the tears running down his cheeks, Wally's face also looked like it had died. He turned away from Lo'q's body and took a slow step to where the small M'arrillian laid. Everyone who could see watched as Wally lifted the child carefully from the table.

Wally spoke after a pause. "Azaia... How fitting.... In the original M'arrillian language, 'azaia' meant 'hope'."

Azaia curled up in Wally's hands, a smile forming on its tiny face as it snuggled into his palm.

Wally sat on the ground. In a tent, holding a baby M'arrillian, its mother passed away. Wally didn't stop sobbing, even when he had no tears left to cry.

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Powerless: Chapter Eight - Not So Different

===== (Earth, somewhere on the West Coast of the United States)

"23E3 9983 DA42," Azu muttered as he typed his Jade Pillar's code into the computer. The upload screen added the card to the list and Azu continued.

"4FC2 BE94 E434." Lava Pond, Milla'iin's foothold.

"A4B8 CFF9 34B3." Azu paused and laughed softly before he submitted the code. Erak'tabb.

Before Azu continued, a soft ringing filled the air. Azu reached for his cell phone and answered-

"Twitch really shot holes in the job this time, boss," the voice on the other end shouted.

Azu raised an eyebrow, then closed his eyes. An image began to form in his head... an image of what was happening halfway around the world...

----- (Southern England)

The man known as Twitch was crouched into a corner, arms over his head, quaking. A man stood over him, a pistol in one hand, a cell phone in the other.

The man with the gun spoke again, "Is it Swiss Cheese time? ...No? ...Ah...." The gunman spoke to Twitch, "Souleater wants to talk to you. You get to live for a few more seconds."

Twitch didn't reach for the cell phone. Every member of Azu's gang knew that Azu, or Souleater as everyone called him (he perferred to be called by his last name), only used the phone for receiving a message. Twitch waited, watching the gunman.

The gunman's body suddenly convulsed, eyes wide. However, except for the eyes, his face remained calm. Twitch watched the gunman's eyes slowly change from a dark brown to a bright silver...

The gunman's mouth opened, but Azu's voice came out of it. "So... Twitch. I can see you left something behind..."

Twitch shivered, but remained silent. Interrupting Azu would be... unintelligent.

Azu continued, "You have no idea-"

----- (Perim, Deeper than the Deepmines)

"-how disappointed in you I am," Fen'rir growled.

Aa'une didn't answer immediately. After waiting if his father would continue, he said, "It was the traitor's fault. If she-"

"Your actions caused her betrayal," Fen'rir said simply. "And before you tell me to punish her, know this: I can no longer see her."

"No longer... see her?" This was a little bit of a shock to Aa'une. The only way that could happen was if-

"Yes, someone else saw the need to punish her, and it cost her her life." Fen'rir didn't appear to care anything about Lo'q, but his next words caught Aa'une completely of guard. "Someone else appeared in my vision in her place. A young male. He looks surprising like you."

Aa'une's eyes would have fallen out if they'd widened any further. "You don't mean-"

"Well, what did you except, my son, with what you were doing?"

Aa'une became quiet for a moment. After pondering for a moment, he asked, "Where is he?"

Fen'rir took a long time to answer. "He is... in someone's arms. A human's arms. Walter Seamus Souleater's arms."

Aa'une stared at his father. "What do you mean, 'Souleater'? You must be mistaken."

Fen'rir suddenly roared, "I am not mistaken, because-"

----- (Earth, England)

"-I can see all. There is a way to salvage what's left of this little heist." Azu stood calmly, watching Twitch's reaction. "I need to speak to Bullet, now."

The gunman (Bullet, just in case you hadn't figured it out) blinked, his eyes returning to normal. He noticed Twitch calmly standing up, his eyes now silver. Bullet quickly holstered his pistol. "So what now?"

Azu made Twitch's face smile, and he said, "We're going to get out prize back. And I-"

----- (Perim, Below the Deepmines)

"-know exactly how we're going to do it," Fen'rir finished.

Aa'une gaped at his father. "But your body cannot survive on the surface anymore, father!"

"That's why we're going together," Fen'rir explained, putting a hand on Aa'une's face. "You need my experience, and I need a body."

Before Aa'une could say a word, Fen'rir's body began to melt, spreading across Aa'une's face. Aa'une froze as Fen'rir's body completely covered his, then vanished.

[It's time, Aa'une,] Fen'rir spoke inside his son's head. [When you are next summoned, I will come as well. Perim will fell the persence-]

----- (Earth, United States of America)

"-the most powerful being in the universe." Azu submitted the final code in his collection and turned his attention to his scanner. His was custom-made. It had taken a little "manipulation", but now he had a scanner unlike anyone else...

"What better for a Silvertongue than a silver scanner?"

=====

Book is complete!
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

On a Knife's Edge: Chapter Zero - Marked

=====

Chaor was sitting on a bed in a room in a tower of Kiru City. In many other circumstances, he would have been considered a prisoner. This time, however, he was an ally. An unwanted ally, but an ally nonetheless.

Chaor was staring at the bandage wrapped around his right hand. He'd stabbed through his hand in order to identify who an imposter was. Chaor's father had used the same trick many solem ago. The OverWorlders had offered to heal his hand with Mugic, but Chaor had refused their help.

Chaor heard a door open, and a voice from the hall said, "You know, there's a difference between being self-sufficient and being stubborn."

"I'm not letting that _OverWorld_ Mugic touch me, Takinom," Chaor growled.

Takinom stepped into the room, a look of annoyance on her face. "I noticed that the humans are in Kiru City, too. The short one is carrying a small M'arrillian. Can you explain that?"

"Yes, but I won't." Chaor turned away from Takinom.

Takinom sighed and sat herself next to Chaor. "The Dryland Alliance is trying to come up with a way to permanently defeat the M'arrillians. I was sent up to-"

"No," Chaor interrupted. "I will not go down there."

Takinom closed her mouth and stared at Chaor. She smiled when she figured out Chaor's reasons for wanting to be alone: he'd taken a massive blow to his ego when he'd asked for help from the Dryland Alliance. She stood and left the room, leaving Chaor by himself.

----- (Hours later)

Chaor opened his eyes. The room was dimly lit. He'd slept for most of the day.

Chaor sat up and looked outside. It was a view that could only be seen from the OverWorld. A window in the UnderWorld eventually shows a rock wall, the this window could let one see the sky.

One of Chaor's ancestor, Raquez, had been the ruler of the OverWorld. Raquez's son Kiru was next in line, but he sided with the UnderWorld after his father's disappearance. Kiru's descendants had battled with other creatures for control of the UnderWorld for a thousand solem.

The records of history were usually vague when referring to Raquez, but one record, the one Chaor knew best, very clearly stated Raquez's last words to Kiru. Chaor could quote those words with perfect accuracy.

"A shadow is falling over me, my son. A threat that cannot be named. A people not of this world call to me. Their voices grow stronger and stronger, and I will not be able to ignore their commands much longer.

"Pass these words down, Kiru, to each of your children. Tell them to tell their children, and their children's children. Many solem will pass, and one day one of them will be marked. I refer not to my mark, but an unseen mark. A dangerous mark. They will know when an evil greater than any living force has chosen them.

"Tell them to fear these words: 'Hello, Raquez. It's been so long.'"

Chaor's thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. "What is it?" he grunted as he stood and openned the door.

Chaor's heart skipped a beat. The Kha'rall he'd slain was standing at his door, a disturbing look in its eyes. The Kha'rall opened its mouth, and a soft female voice voice came out instead of a Kha'rall's normal rough speech.

The Kha'rall's words made Chaor feel as if his body had frozen over:

"Hello, Raquez. It's been so long."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

On a Knife's Edge: Chapter One - Beyond Death

=====

Chaor's mind was screaming at him to fight, but his body remained frozen. The Kha'rall had said the same words that Raquez had warned against, but Chaor couldn't move a muscle.

The Kha'rall grinned. "Ah, you have no idea who I am, do you? I am Blade. I've been searching for you for five hundred years."

Chaor choked out, "Years? ...You're a human?"

Blade raised an eyebrow and stepped forward. "Is something wrong?"

Chaor stumbled backwards. "You're a ghost. You possessed that Kha'rall." Chaor ran the numbers through his head. "Five hundred years... one thousand solem... That cannot be...!"

Blade looked mildly entertained as she continued to step forward. "What can't be?"

"You're the nameless threat!" Chaor roared. "You're one of those who made Raquez vanish a thousand solem ago!"

Blade stopped approaching. "So THIS is the world of chaos! I'd never imagined it would be like this."

Chaor narrowed his eyes and aimed both his palms at Blade. Flames began to collect in front of his hands- "AUGH!" The flames vanished, and Chaor grabbed his right hand. It seared with pain again.

Blade laughed, "You should put some ice on that!" She snapped the Kha'rall's fingers, and a flash of light knocked Chaor's hand to the wall, where it became covered in ice.

Chaor tries to yank his hand off the wall, but there was no movement. Blade snapped the Kha'rall's fingers again, and another flash of light froze Chaor's other hand to the wall.

"Get away from me, you monster!" Chaor lifted his feet up and tried to kick Blade, but she jumped backwards and snapped her fingers one more time. Chaor's body slammed into the wall and froze over with ice as well, leaving only his chest and head uncovered.

Blade smiled and stepped forward again. "Now you are behaving, my sweetheart," she whispered into Chaor's ear. Chaor growled and snapped his jaws at her. Blade grabbed Chaor's mouth and held it shut. "Oh, you still have a little bite left in you! I wonder how much bite this body has-"

Chaor heard the door open, and Blade turned around. Takinom stood in the doorway, mouth hanging open. "WHAT THE (bleep) IS GOING ON HERE!?" she yelled.

Chaor muttered from the corner of his mouth, "Help..."

Takinom shrieked and spread her wings, charging at Blade. Blade aimed the Kha'rall's hand and claw at Takinom- but Takinom swung her fist in a wide arc to Blade's head.

CRACK!

Blade tumbled to the side, hitting the window. Takinom's fist ignited, and she roared, "CONSUMING FLAME!" The blast of fire shattered the window, flinging Blade out into the open air.

Takinom watched as the Kha'rall fell, a long trail of red mist tracing the body's path downwards. The Kha'rall landed several seconds later, shattering its shell to pieces. Several OverWorlders cried out in alarm.

Takinom turned towards Chaor, her rage not quite gone from her face. "What on Perim was going on!? Do I even want to know?"

Chaor didn't answer. He'd passed out.

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm

On a Knife's Edge: Chapter Two - Switch

===== (Kiru City)

There are many creatures in Perim that are never scanned by Chaotic players. The reason isn't that those creatures are dangerous. It's because said creatures never fight, like Penel, an ordinary citizen of Kiru City.

Penel is in the marketplace. Specifically, she's at a flower shop at the Kiru City marketplace. The smile of the shop's owner faded as Penel approached with a simple bouquet, and he bowed solemnly as she payed for the flowers.

The flower shop's owner's brother was Penel's husband. His death in a war long ago had taken it's toll on the both of them.

A while later, Penel strode through Kiru City's graveyard. She knelt down in front of a simple headstone, one so plain that not even a name had been carved into it, and laid the flowers on the ground. Penel stayed there for a long time, then stood and turned to go-

“You want to see him again...” a female voice whispered.

Penel turned around, looking for the source of the voice. "Who's there?"

The voice answered, “Someone who knows how hard it is to be separated from the one you love.... I can help you to meet with him again….”

Penel marveled that this unseen woman would be willing to help her. She knelt down and asked, "Please?"

The ground beneath Penel began to tremble. Penel was suddenly afraid, but she couldn’t make herself stand and flee. A large crack opened in the ground-

Penel screamed. A skeletal hand was digging its way up from her husband’s grave. Penel sat frozen in shock as her husband’s corpse unburied itself and stared down at her with absent eyes.

Penel scrambled backwards. “No! This isn’t what I wanted!”

The skeleton crouched and sprang forward, latching its hands around Penel’s throat. Penel grabbed at the bony hands, but they began to squeeze tighter and tighter. Penel’s chest heaved uselessly as the skeleton’s mouth opened, and the mysterious female voice rang out from Penel’s husband’s skull:

“You wanted to see your husband again…” the skeleton said as Penel’s vision began to cloud over, “so I’m sending you to him…”

----- (Chaotic)

Krystal blinked, rubbed her eyes, and peeked out from behind her hands. Nope, it was still there.

After looking around for a while, Krystal decided she’d have to apologize to her father for ignoring his apparently-not-insane speeches about Chaotic being real. …And Wally Grey, for that matter. But why hadn’t Adam told her-

“Excuse me, ma’am,” a robotic voice droned behind Krystal. Krystal’s heart skipped a beat, and she turned around while trying to calm herself down. The hovering robot continued, “Your first match in the Amzen Drome is in five minutes. Would you follow me, please?”

Krystal followed the robot through the crowd of players until something caught her eye. “Is that Adam?” Then she saw the person Adam was battling. “Is that Adam's DAD!?” Then she saw Seth begin to transform into Chaor. "WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON HERE!?"

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm

On a Knife's Edge: Chapter Three - Dead Sand

===== (Mipedian Camp)

A bit of a distance from Kiru City is a small camp of Mipedians. Grantkae set this camp up when the Dryland Alliance was first formed so that he could have a temporary base during the fight. The other tribes also have camps nearby (except the OverWorlders, who stay at Kiru City).

Leku is a Mipedian works at the cantina at the camp. Well, it's not so a "cantina" as it is a "tent where you can get a drink"...

Leku strode up and smiled brightly at a tired looking OverWorld female wearing a long scarf and sitting apart from everyone else. "How may I help you?" she asked.

"You could sit down," the OverWorlder replied.

Leku took a seat opposite the OverWorlder and glanced at the numerous mugs on the table in front of the woman, most of them empty. "I take it you aren't ordering a drink. Who did you say you were?"

"I didn't say, yet. I am Penel." Penel dropped a few silver coins on the table. "I'm looking for information."

Leku nodded. Her OTHER job was being the eyes and ears of the entire camp. Even creatures from other tribes knew to come to her for odd news, for a price. "What do you want to know?"

Penel leaned forward and softly asked, "I heard that some humans are a part of the Dryland Alliance. Is this true?"

Leku chuckled. "I thought everyone already knew that one. Yes, three, in fact."

Penel pushed a coin forward. "Could you tell me about each of them?"

Leku grinned and slipped the coin into her pocket. "The eldest one is called Seth Grey. He is the unofficial fifth general of the Dryland Alliance. He doesn't seem to forget anything, and I can't think of a single time he's let his blindness stop him at anything."

Penel looked astonished, but Leku suspected she'd already known about Seth's blindness. Penel pushed another coin forward and asked, "What about the other two?"

"Well, Adam was the most well known by the Mipedians out of the three. He's the only human I know of that can cast Mugic and command the elements. There are rumors that he even came back from the dead once."

Penel coughed into her drink and stared at Leku. Leku was certain that this was real surprise.

After wiping her face, Penel slid another coin down the table. "Tell me about the third one, Wally."

Leku narrowed her eyes. "I never mentioned his name."

Penel's eyes widened, and she dropped her mug. The clay broke as it hit the table, soaking both Leku and Penel with its contents.

Leku didn't even flinch, and she continued, "Not only did I not tell you his name, but you used the name he only uses with other humans." She slid the silver coin in front of her back to the OverWorlder. "What's REALLY going on?"

Leku was surprised to hear Penel laughing. "I thought I would simply get the information I needed and keep this body," she said with a voice different than the one she'd been using earlier. "I see that I need to switch instead."

Leku had had enough of this strange creature, so she stood up and turned to go-

Or not. The Mipedian's legs had stopped working!

Penel smirked triumphantly at Leku. "It's a rare poison quickly absorbed through skin and scale alike. It causes total muscle failure within a minute, and there is no known antidote." She gestured at the broken shards of the clay mug on the table. "Guess how I got it to you."

Leku was already incapable of moving her body. She helplessly sat slumped in her chair, watching Penel begin to laugh horribly. Leku's heart raced when Penel suddenly fell face-first onto the table, a red mist escaping from her body.

Leku could feel her breathing begin to slow, and no matter how much effort she put into it, she could not force herself to draw a deeper breath. Her vision began to swim, becoming more distorted as the red mist drew closer and closer...

----- (Chaotic)

"How much longer am I going to have to wait?" Krystal asked the BattleDrome's voice.

"Your opponent immediately forfeits the match if he doesn't arrive in twenty seconds," the voice responded.

Krystal hoped her opponent wouldn't come, because then she'd be able to find Adam and ask him what-

Krystal's hopes deflated as an elderly man entered the BattleDrome.

"Well," the man stated as he set his scanner into the dock in front of him, "who would guessed my first match in Chaotic would be against my grandson's girlfriend?"

This caught Krystal by surprise. "Girlfriend- You're Adam's grandfather?" Krystal glanced at the exit, wondering if she-

"-could possibly get away before the game started." Azu laughed. "I'm sorry, but you really don't want to give up when going against me."

Krystal's eyes bugged out. "How-?"

"-did you know exactly what I was thinking? What? He's pulling this directly out of my head!" Azu laughed. "Don't worry about it. I'll even set my board up first."

Krystal shuddered as Azu began to move his scans into place. Adam had made two things very clear a long time ago: his grandfather was dangerous, and saying no to him was only an option for Seth and Wally.

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:46 pm

On a Knife's Edge: Chapter Four - How Many Feet Under

===== (UnderWorld Camp, evening)

Little known fact: UnderWorlders have hospitals.

Lesser known fact: UnderWorld doctors are very good at what they do.

Unfortunate fact: Even UnderWorld doctors cannot reliably remove Plasmarrows from a victim.

Corsta sat outside the camp's temporary hospital, a pained expression on her face. She'd lost another patient to Plasmarrows minutes ago, and the other doctors had to escort her outside until her nervous breakdown had passed.

Corsta wasn't the first doctor to have a nervous breakdown that day, and she definitely wasn't going to be the last.

The UnderWorld doctor stood and began to pace, lost in thought. When the M'arrillians had first come out of the Deepmines, a doctor's work was easy. A Minor Flourish, Ember Flourish, anything. However, as time passed, the M'arrillians learned how to inflict more permanent damage with their UnderWorld minions, and even their Kha'rall made efforts to duplicate those attacks.

Corsta glanced forward and stopped. Her feet had taken her quite a ways from the center of the camp. She was now at the trench the UnderWorlders were digging around the camp in order to build a stronger wall. Nobody was there at the moment, a typical occurance when night began to fall.

Corsta's thoughts were interrupted by a human female's voice behind her: "Lost another one? That must be the worst nightmare for a healer."

Corsta looked around wildly, but couldn't pinpoint where the voice had come from.

The voice laughed. "Oh, wait. I think there's something even worse." A white flash of light appeared, followed by a gray mugician rising up towards a Mugisphere hanging in the air. "Staccatissimo Nightmare!"

Corsta felt a wave of unnatural panic overcome her body. She turned to escape to the safety of the camp, but it felt as if she were moving through syrup.

The UnderWorlder hadn't even made it a couple inches before a Mipedian appeared directly in front of her. In the same voice as the one that had casted the Mugic, the Mipedian asked, "Oh, did someone have a bad dream?"

Corsta would've screamed, but her voice had caught in her throat. She tried to strike the Mipedian, but fists might as well have been made of cotton for all the good it did. Corsta's mind was slowly being overcome by intense fear.

"I knew it," smirked the Mipedian with the human voice. "Even in the grips of terror, you manage to look amazing, almost like my Raquez." She grabbed Corsta's arms and taunted, "So I'll be taking that beauty, thank you very much," then shoved her backwards.

Corsta felt herself fall into the trench, every second lengthened to its extreme in her terror. The softness of the soil she landed on did nothing to calm her as she stared up at her assailant.

The Mipedian laughed hideously and swung her arms upwards, causing a mountain of earth to collect many feet over Corsta and hang in the air. "Now you can apologize to the one you failed to save!" she jeered as she pointed at the UnderWorlder.

Corsta made a voiceless scream as the mountain of dirt above her began to fall.

----- (Chaotic)

Krystal stared at the vast expanse of the Mipedim Desert. The creature she inhabited was the UnderWorlder Bladez. After a few stunned moments, she closed Bladez's eyes and willed her BattleGear to appear. Soon, Bladez was clothed in the Kha'rall Husk Armor, and Krystal's favorite combo was complete-

"DEEP DIRGE!" a voice echoed across the desert.

Bladez was suddenly hit by a column of blue light, and Krystal could only stand indignantly. Her entire strategy was useless!

The strange voice echoed across the desert again, "I remember you wondering why I was taking so long to get to the BattleDrome. I'm feeling generous enough to tell you. Many creatures lived a long time ago, with no ordinary means of obtaining scans of them. However, I know of a way to step into the past and find these creatures. I was interested in finding one in particular..."

A cloud of dust appeared in the distance, heading towards Krystal rapidly. A blur passed by so quickly that sand was kicked many feet into the air. Krysatl covered Bladez's head as the sand fell to the ground, and when she glanced up again, a creature she'd never seen before on a card was hovering in front of her, its arms folded in front of it.

The demonic creature stood about nine feet tall, with large horns protruding from his forehead and a tail extending behind and below him, making him look even taller. A pair of enormous bat-like wings extended from his back to both sides of his body, casting a colossal shadow on the ground. His hair was a medium shade of gray, as well his skin. His body blatantly revealed the size and power of every muscle on his body.

On top of all that was a regal-looking outfit. He wore a vest with the appearance of gold that revealed (to the point of drawing attention to) the creature's chest and stomach. Below that was a pair of loose-fitting pants dyed blue, red, yellow, and brown. A crown sat on his head, with the symbols of all the original four tribes carved into the front and decorated with the appropriate color of gemstones. Finally, his skin was painted with intricate silver designs that obviously didn't end when they disappeared behind his clothing.

Azu's creature opened its mouth to speak in its powerful voice, "This is Raquez, the Meteor Lord! During the time he lived on Earth, he was known as the Gray Demon!"

Krystal's mind reeled. She'd just figured it out. "Th-that's your-"

"-My ancestor," Azu finished. He raised Raquez's arms to the sky, the silver markings on his chest dancing as his muscles rippled. Azu bellowed, "I invoke my right to command the expanse beyond the skies! I call upon the Meteor Storm!"

Thousands of lights appeared in the sky, growing larger and larger as they approached. Krystal screamed and ducked down, lifting Bladez's arms above its head in a futile effort to protect herself as the mountain-sized objects came closer...

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:47 pm

On a Knife's Edge: Chapter Five - Enemy Camp

===== (Danian Camp)

“Of everywhere he could've gone, and Chaor comes HERE!”

Askat rolled his eyes and tried to ignore Wamma's groaning. Ever since they'd been posted to guard Lore's tent when Chaor (and the humans) arrived, Wamma was finding more and more to complain about.

Wamma continued, “They woke me up so EARLY to GUARD him. If I had my way, I wouldn't wake up until the sun was right there.”

Askat glanced in the direction Wamma was pointing. “That's sunset, Wamma.”

“My point exactly. Say, maybe I can leave right now! You can do the job for both- OW!”

Askat tried not to laugh as Wamma picked himself off of the ground. “If you're going to have bright ideas like that, try making sure Lore can't hear you first.”

Wamma swore under his breath and returned to attention.

A few moments later, an UnderWorld female approached Lore's tent. For all his complaining, Wamma didn't waste any time. “Stop. Name and business.”

“Corsta, and I need to speak with Chaor.”

“Nobody is to disturb anyone inside.”

Corsta scowled and folded her arms. “How long until I can speak with him?”

Wamma shrugged. “We’re just Mandiblores. They don’t tell us things like that.” He turned to Askat. “I could use a little help, you know.”

Askat didn’t hear him. He kept on staring at Corsta, a crooked smile on his face. Corsta glanced at the Danian, and her scowl lessened. “I guess I could wait…,” she muttered as she turned around. After she’d taken a few steps, she turned to face Askat and winked, then continued walking.

Askat nudged Wamma. “Cover for me,” he whispered.

Wamma rolled his eyes. “No way. If I can’t have a break, you can’t.”

Askat glanced backwards and lowered his voice even more. “Cover for me, and I will tell you all about it.”

After a moment, Wamma grinned mischievously. “I’m holding you to that.”

Askat took a few careful steps away from Lore’s tent, then took off after the UnderWorlder.

----- (Forest near Danian Camp)

Askat stepped into the clearing, looking around. He could have sworn that Corsta had been leading him here…

“You’re a naughty little Mandiblore, aren’t you,” the UnderWorlder’s voice spoke from overhead. Askat looked up to see Corsta smirking down at him from a tree branch. “What other reason could you have to follow me here?”

Askat winked to show that he was joking, “You’ve been caught trespassing, my lady. I’m afraid I’m here to arrest you.”

Corsta laughed, “Oh! Well I’m not looking for trouble. I guess I have to turn myself in!” She swung down from the tree and landed right in front of the Danian. Leaning close and putting her hands on the armor around his chest, she whispered, “Tell me what the punishment for trespassing is.”

Askat ran his tongue around the edges of his mouth. “I seem to have forgotten. Would you be a dear and remind me?”

The UnderWorlder chuckled and wrapped her arms around Askat’s chest. “Well, I believe that the first part was this,” she breathed as she undid the strings holding the Danian’s armor and clothing up. Tossing the Danian’s attire aside, she smiled passionately, “Maybe if you thought about it really hard, you might remember the next part.”

Askat grinned hungrily and turned his face to the sky, his eyes closed. “I still can’t remember. Would you kindly help to jog my memory?”

“Gladly,” Corsta said flatly, her expression going flat.

Surprised, Askat opened his eyes and looked down just in time to see the UnderWorlder plunge a dagger deep into his bare chest.

----- (Danian Camp)

Wamma spotted Askat coming back moments later. When Askat took his post again Wamma nudged him and whispered, “So?”

Asket said flatly, “So what?”

Wamma became indignant. “Hey, you promised!”

“Promise? What promise?”

Wamma sighed. “You and the ‘lady’. Tell me what happened.”

Askat looked as if he’d forgotten about that. “Oh… Come on, I’m just teasing you!”

Wamma snickered, “What happened first?”

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

On a Knife's Edge: Chapter Six - Trap

===== (Deepmines)

A flash of light nearby caused the nearby squad of Kha'rall to raise their weapons. "Get the human!" the largest Kha'rall ordered, and a couple Kha'rall raced to the light's origin.

Seconds later, an elderly man's voice was heard: "Certainly the most angry looking welcoming party I've seen." A white-haired human calmly walked into view, followed by two very confused Kha'rall. The human looked around with a disappointed expression of his face and loudly muttered, "Hmm, no cake. What kind of party doesn't serve cake?"

The largest Kha'rall stormed forward until he towered over the human and glared down. "Do you think this is some kind of game?"

The man chuckled. "I love games. Monopoly, Risk, chess...."

The Kha'rall roared and whipped out his BattleGear, pressing its barrel firmly on the human's forehead. "What is the name of this creature who DARES make a mockery of his situation?"

The man frowned. "I am called Azu." In a movement too fast for the eye to follow, Azu lifted his leg and kicked the Kha'rall's BattleGear out of his hand and several feet behind him.

The Kha'rall roared, snatching his hand back. The surrounding Kha'rall laughed nervously. The largest Kha'rall glared at his underlings, and they fell silent. Turning his gaze back to Azu, he asked them, "Should we take this _thing_ to Aa'une, make it a thrall or a pet? Or should I decorate the walls with its remains?"

"I'm not too fond of being wallpaper," Azu sighed, "but the 'pet' idea was good. Sit."

The Kha'rall's knees buckled, and he hit the ground. The surrounding warriors had to make a tremendous effort to avoid laughing. The Kha'rall growled, "Oh, you are so going to pay for that."

Azu laughed, "A dog doesn't threaten his master. Come to think of it, a dog must be put on a leash."

Immediately after Azu had said that, a stone chain erupted from the wall wrapped itself around the Kha'rall's neck, and pulled him backwards. The sight was too much for the other Kha'rall, even clamping their mouths shut with their hands wasn't enough to stop the laughter. The chained Kha'rall grabbed for the chain on his throat, trying to break it off.

Azu put his hand to his chin. "And I've never seen a dog wear armor. Or clothes, for that matter."

The Kha'rall's clothing violently tore itself to shreds. Half of the surrounding Kha'rall simply fell to the floor, holding their stomaches as their howls of laughter echoed through the cavern. The other half looked at Azu with worried expressions, and they placed hands on the BattleGear.

Azu grinned. "I changed my mind. You're a cat, and it's time for your bath."

The Kha'rall's eyes widened in terror as his body suddenly disobeyed his mind, his head turning to allow his tongue to li.ck his arm. The surrounding Kha'rall now just looked in shock as their leader involuntarily arched his back to li.ck his chest and stomach, then bent himself into more and more embarrassing positions as he tried to clean every inch of his body using only his tongue.

After a few minutes, Azu smiled even wider. "Parrot, repeat after me. 'I wanna cra.cker.'"

The Kha'rall stopped trying to li.ck his hind feet and echoed, "I wanna cra.cker."

"Say 'Gimme uh treat'."

"Gimme uh treat," the Kha'rall repeated even as he tried to break the stone chain around his neck off. The other Kha'rall were too stunned to do anything.

"Very good," Azu mocked as he stepped closer. "Now, doggy, show me how much you like me."

The Kha'rall screamed in protest as leaned forward to slobber on Azu's face. The other Kha'rall found that they couldn't even force themselves to look away as Azu ordered their leader to act in more and more humiliating ways.

Azu turned his attention to the other Kha'rall as their leader tried to wrap his arms and legs around the human's leg. "As you all can probably tell, there is no point in trying to fight me. I am simultaneously causing all of you to stand frozen while the big guy here tries to declare his infatuation with my foot." Shaking his leg, he added, "That's enough. Roll over."

The Kha'rall rolled over and exposed his underside to Azu. He panted like a small dog, but his eyes remained terrified. "P-please... stop...," he managed to gasp between breaths.

Azu's smile vanished. He lifted his hand, and the Kha'rall's weapon lifted into the air and flew into the human's hand. Azu aimed the BattleGear at the Kha'rall's face, commanded, "Play dead," and pulled the trigger.

A large crack echoed through the cavern, and the Kha'rall fell limp, a crater where his head had been.

Azu turned to the horrified Kha'rall army and politely said, "Now, would one of you kindly guide me to your leader? Aa'une, I think it was? I have a meeting to catch, and I really don't like being late."

----- (Danian Camp)

Azaia sat in Wally's hands, repeatedly glancing at the tent flaps. Wally bent down and whispered, "What is it?" Azaia pointed at the front of the tent, alarm showing on his tiny face.

Lore glanced at the baby M'arrillian and stopped mid-sentence. "Does it have a problem, Walter?" he scowled. Adam shot Lore an angry glare.

Wally also looked in the direction of the tent's entrance. "Something... sinister... is right outside the tent."

Lore sighed. "Wamma may be useless, but he isn't a danger to us."

Wally continued to stare. "I think she may already be here." Hearing this, Chaor scrambled away from the front of the tent

Lore's mood changed instantly. Standing up, he exclaimed, "I thought you said you'd lost her at Kiru City!"

Seth replied, "If it were as easy as leaving Blade behind, we wouldn't have come to you for help."

-----

Lore stepped out of the tent. "Wamma, Askat. Come in here now."

Wamma panicked, "It wasn't me! Askat left to mess around with that-"

Lore repeated, "In. Here. NOW!"

Wamma sheepishly stepped into the tent, followed by Askat. Upon seeing Chaor, Adam, and Lore readying attacks at the two of them, Wamma babbled, "I only said I WANTED to leave! I didn't actually leave my post!"

Askat calmly looked around and asked, "What is the meaning of this?"

Azaia climbed up Wally's arm and placed his hands on the human's face. Wally's eyes widened. "Tell them to take off their clothing, Lore."

Lore, Wamma, and Askat asked "What?" simultaneously.

Wally clarified, "Blade possesses dead bodies. We're looking for someone who looks dead."

Lore nodded and turned back to the Mandiblores. "You heard him."

With a look of utter bewilderment on his face, Wamma reached back and undid his armor, letting it fall to the ground. He then pull his shirt off, revealing a quite overweight but perfectly alive looking Danian.

Lore turned to Askat. "This IS a direct order, you know. Give me a reason to suspect you, and I WILL execute you right here."

Askat scowled fiercely and slowly undid his armor. "This is harrassment," he complained as he placed his armor on the ground."

Lore matched Askat's glare. "Shirt, too."

Askat hesitated, then lifted his shirt to reveal his abdominal muscles. "Happy?"

Lore lifted his hands up, and sharp rocks lifted from the ground and hovered in front of the muge. "Last... warning..."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

On a Knife's Edge: Chapter Seven - Whom We Call

=====

Lore lifted his hands up, and sharp rocks lifted from the ground and hovered in front of the muge. "Last... warning..."

Askat glared at Lore a moment longer, then turned and slid his clothing completely off his body. Dropping his shirt to the ground, he faced Lore again... his chest completely unmarked. "Are we done? Or do you plan on having Wamma and I kiss next?" Askat growled.

Lore glanced at Adam with a puzzled expression. Adam didn't look away from the two Mandiblores. He muttered, "Wally? Dad? Anything else? This didn't exactly _prove_ anything..."

Chaor whispered, "Maybe we should just blast them both-"

Seth interrupted Chaor by loudly saying, "If only HAMMER were here to help us out!"

Askat flinched. Wally shouted, "She's taken Askat!"

Before Chaor, Lore, and Adam had time to act, Blade raised Askat's arms and shouted, "Earthen Shroud!" The tent suddenly became filled with thick dust, blocking all light.

Chaor threw a Flame Orb blindly, but it flickered out mere inches from his hand. A second later, a large object barreled into Chaor's chest, sending him sprawling to the ground. He lashed out at his attacker, but a sharp jab to his shoulder made his left arm fall limp. His right hand hadn't healed enough to be used to any effect.

"Get off of me!" Chaor bellowed, futilely trying to kick the creature sitting on his stomach. Dust filled his mouth, and his next protest came out as an uncontrollable cough. Chaor felt the creature trying to tear his loincloth, and he struggled harder, pushing his upper body off the ground and throwing the creature off his body.

The dust had partially settled by then, revealing the sad state everyone in the tent. Adam had caught a face-full of dust and was furiously rubbing his eyes. Lore'd suffered a similar difficulty. Wally, Seth and Wamma were coughing as uncontrollably as Chaor, and Azaia began to cry with discomfort. Only Blade was unaffected.

Lore tried to locate Blade through his blurred vision and fired a Pebblestorm, but the attack went wild and punched several holes in the fabric of the tent. Unfazed, Blade leaped over Lore and Adam, brushed the top of the tent, and landed behind Seth. She spun around and grabbed Seth, forcing him to his knees. Seth pushed his body backwards and shoved the back of his head into Blade's borrowed face, causing her to tumble over. Seth stood, spun around, and lifted his leg, aiming to stomp where he heard Blade's head land-

"Terraport!" Blade sank into the ground, and Seth's foot landed on plain dirt.

Everyone without dust in their face looked around wildly for the place Blade would reappear. Adam scraped the last of the dust away from his eyes and opened his eyes... just in time to see a Danian arm reach out of the ground and grab his leg. Adam let out a short scream as he was pulled into the ground.

-----

A short distance away from the tent, the ground exploded upwards, flinging Adam into the air. Adam hit the ground painfully, while Blade calmly rose out of the large crack in the ground. Adam struggled to sit up, then gasped and clutched his side as he fell back to a lying position.

Blade stepped forward casually until her borrowed body stood over Adam, where smirked suggestively at him. Adam pointed both of his hands at Blade's face: "Catacol-!"

Blade quickly knocked Adam's hands aside, and his attack streamed uselessly into the air. Blade bent down and grabbed Adam's wrists, slamming them into the ground. With the Danian's body's hind legs she pinned Adam's legs to the ground as well. Horror and revulsion blazed on Adam's face as Blade dropped the Danian's face to Adam's, locking their mouths together.

A moment later, Blade screamed and jumped away from Adam. "You bit my tongue!" she hollered.

Adam rolled to the side and heaved, emptying the contents of his stomach onto the ground. He sputtered, "You stuck your tongue in my MOUTH! WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU EXPECT?!"

Fury blazed in Blade's eyes as she stepped towards Adam again, hands pointing threateningly at Adam's face-

A small rock bounced off the back of Blade's head, and she turned to see Wally standing just outside the tent, Azaia still cradled in one arm. Wally juggled two more rocks in the other hand, taunting, "Pity. I expected a hollow ringing sound."

Shock flickered briefly on Blade's face, followed quickly by a wide grin. She turned and dashed towards Wally, grabbing him by the front of his shirt and slamming him into a tree trunk. Wally's breath came out in a quick burst.

Ignoring the baby M'arrillian hitting her arm with its tiny fist, Blade leaned in close and whispered, "That's interesting. I expected a moan of delight. I guess that will have to do."

When Wally flashed a triumphant smirk at Blade, she grew nervous. A sudden burst of green light behind her caused her to glance backwards. What she saw kept her from looking away.

Lore was standing with all four hands clasped together, his eyes glowing green. His mouth moved inaudibly, reciting something Blade couldn't comprehend. In a few seconds, the green light in his eyes increased in intensity, completely obscuring Lore from view.

The green light began to form a wide circle. The center of the circle appeared to dissolve away, leaving a black tunnel behind. Blade could feel her ghostly form begin to fall backwards, and she tightened her grip on Askat's body.

Lore called out, "She's too strong! I can't force her to pass away myself!"

Wally shouted, "Get help!"

"How?"

"Anyone who wants to help!"

The tunnel of green light flashed once...

A tall OverWorld female appeared, and long scarf around her neck. She stared at Blade with empty eyes and let the scarf fall away, revealing large bruises on the creature's neck. Penel glided forward and placed a hand on Blade's shoulder.

The tunnel of green light flashed again, and a Mipedian female appeared. She hung in the air like a limp puppet, completely soaked in poison. Leku landed on the ground behind Blade, straightened up, and grabbed Blade's other shoulder.

Another flash of light, and the ground began to tremble. A slender hand pushed its way out of the ground, followed by the rest of the UnderWorld female. Corsta strode forward and placed her dirt covered hands on Blade's back.

Once more, and a dagger appeared in the air in front of the tunnel. It threw itself into the mouth of the tunnel, and a Danian stepped out, identical to the Danian Blade was possessing. The Danian was unclothed, and a dagger stuck out of his chest. Askat floated around Blade, keeping her gaze on him, and slid himself between Blade and Wally.

Askat leaned forward and lightly touched Blade's cheek. "Everyone has something they desire," he whispered.

Corsta added, "The challenge is knowing whether you've gone too far."

Leku leaned in and breathed, "You chased these humans for a thousand solem..."

Penel completed, "...only to finally die in an unfamiliar world."

Blade screamed as Askat wrapped his arms around Blade's stolen body and pushed forward, easily releasing her grip on his dead body. Askat turned and began to drag Blade towards the tunnel, with Penel, Leku, and Corsta pushing and preventing all escape. Blade cried out one final time in terror as she and her captors vanished into the tunnel of light...

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:48 pm

On a Knife’s Edge: Chapter Eight – How the Mighty Fall

===== (Deepmines)

[Obviously very powerful,] Fen’rir noted as Azu approached confidently, [to walk without fear among the Kha’rall. Either that, or he is simply unintelligent.]

Aa’une answered, [See how the Kha’rall avoid his gaze? The reason he doesn’t fear the Kha’rall is because they fear him.]

Azu smiled and greeted Aa’une casually. “Why, hello! I don’t believe we’ve personally met!”

Aa’une narrowed his eyes. “I am Aa’une the Oligarch. You will not use such an informal tone with me.”

Azu smirked. “Really, now? So you’re right up there with royalty, aren’t you? I think that, as fellow members of the high class, our manner of speech might be a tad bit more relaxed.”

“What do you mean, ‘members of the high class’?” Aa’une scoffed. “Are you suggesting that you are on the same level as me?”

Azu merely widened his grin. Fen’rir responded silently to Aa’une, [I think he is. Did you pay any attention to the back of the human’s hand?]

Aa’une quickly glanced at Azu’s hands. “That mark…. You think that mark qualifies you? You hold no throne. Neither do your son or grandchildren.”

Azu looked surprised. “So you’ve met them.” Then his cheerful face reappeared. “But wouldn’t you agree that having power is what grants class? Surely, as an Oligarch, you can appreciate the wisdom behind that.”

[So, that is the reason the Kha’rall fear him,] Fen’rir mused. [Peer into their minds, my son.]

[A ruthless display of mental ability,] Aa’une confirmed. [It seems similar to Walter’s power.]

[THAT is the point I’m trying to make,] Fen’rir added. [It IS Walter’s power, simply in a refined and unlimited form.]

Azu raised an eyebrow. “Just who are you thinking to? ‘It seems similar to Walter’s power’?” When Aa’une didn’t seem affected by Azu’s mind reading, Azu continued in a threatening voice, “Am I going to have to wrestle that information out of your mind?”

[Stand aside, Aa’une,] Fen’rir ordered. [The human must be taught respect.]

Azu was growing impatient. “Is anyone in there? I really don’t like being ignAHH!” Azu’s body suddenly lifted several feet off of the ground.

Aa’une’s mouth opened, but a deeper, ground-shaking voice came out instead. “Do not trivialize an encounter with a M’arrillian, human. By treading into this place with a display of mental power, you have issued a challenge. This may not have been your intent, but as the strongest M’arrillian in the Deepmines, I accept this challenge.”

Azu laughed. “Does the challenge involve a wager? No, wait. Don’t tell me. The winner confiscates the powers of the ***. Am I right?”

“Indeed.”

Azu bragged, “Then prepare to hand it over! Down, dog!”

Absolutely nothing happened. Azu repeated, “I said DOWN!”

Fen’rir grinned. “With pleasure.”

Azu’s body was suddenly thrown to the ground. His fall ended mere inches from the ground. Azu began to breathe heavily from the effort of catching himself suspended in mid-air.

Fen’rir chuckled, “Do you want to know how to REALLY do it? DOWN!!!”

Azu fell the rest of the way to the ground and landed spread-eagled on his back. Lifting up his head to scowl at Fen’rir, Azu snapped his fingers, causing electricity to arc between his hands. Azu rolled to his feet and threw several crackling bolts at the M’arrillian.

Fen’rir yawned and casually batted Azu’s attack aside, where it dissipated harmlessly on the wall. “Could you possibly be any more boring?”

Azu’s face blazed with viciousness. Reaching his hands towards Fen’rir in a grabbing motion, he shrieked, “Give me your SOUL!!!”

Fen’rir’s breathing seized up, and an angry violet light began to pour from his mouth like syrup. Even then, Fen’rir managed to smile. “You think your Silver-voice can do anything. But you’ve lived a short time; not nearly long to master the ways of the Silvertongue.”

The violet light now stretched halfway to Azu’s hands. Azu laughed, “How would you know what power I can wield? Last time I checked, I was the longest lived Silvertongue on Earth!”

Another stream of violet light erupted from Fen’rir chest when the original light reached Azu’s hand, these traveling faster. Fen’rir agreed, “Yes, on Earth you are longest lived. But are all Silvertongues human?”

It dawned on Azu what Fen’rir was talking about. “You aren’t a mere psychic, are you?” Then he laughed again. “But I’ve already beaten you!”

“Really?” Fen’rir muttered. “Can the power of your soul overcome mine?”

Several streams of violet light burst out of Fen’rir and lashed out at Azu. One hit the human in the face, knocking him off his feet. Azu’s cry of pain was cut short as that stream of light forced itself down his open throat.

As Azu struggled against Fen’rir’s soul, he heard Fen’rir sigh. “Ah, I see it all. Your past. Your memories.”

One stream of light burrowed through Azu’s shirt and plastered itself to his chest. Fen’rir muttered, “Hopes, dreams, fears.” Fen’rir’s soul continued to shread clothing and to attach itself to Azu’s skin.

A minute later, Fen’rir’s smile faltered. “You aren’t complete, Azu. I cannot find a drop of real emotion in your soul. True, the body still reacts with fear and anger, but your mind and spirit remain emotionally absent.” After another moment, Fen’rir’s eyes widened. “Your memories show that you were tortured in your early adult life: beaten and taken advantage of by a person long dead. So THERE is the reason for your ruthlessness…”

----- (???)

“Wake up…”

Blade opened her eyes. She wished she hadn’t. She laid on a cold stone floor littered with corpses.

“Stand…”

Blade stood. There was no way to disobey the voice.

“Look…”

Blade immediately gazed around at the dead bodies. All of them felt somehow familiar.

The voice spoke again, “Every creature, be they from Perim or Earth, expects proper treatment of his or her body after they no longer reside in it. To some, that means burning the body after death. To others, it is a burial, with or without possessions. Still others choose to nourish the living when they pass away. And still others give their bodies to those who can save other lives…

“You have gone beyond the crimes of simple grave robbers. Your actions even exceed the sins of necromancers. You have taken bodies to use as if they were your own…

“Look around. Here are all that you have desecrated…”

Blade immediately remembered each and every face she saw. Bodies she’d possessed for days, and bodies she used for mere seconds, they were all there, exactly the way they were when she had first touched them.

“Turn around, and see your foulest acts…” the voice ordered.

Blade turned, and she shrank back from the sight she saw. Her own dead body, the first she’d possessed when she died, was lying on its side, face to face with another body, the second she’d possessed: Raquez’s. Unlike the other bodies, their positions had changed.

Raquez’s armor had shattered, and its remnants trailed behind him. Blade’s clothing had been torn to shreds as well, its pieces mirroring Raquez’s armor. Raquez’s and Blade’s unclothed bodies were holding each other tightly with their arms and legs, and their faces were both cold and expressionless.

“Disgusting…” the voice spat. “You stayed in the realm of the living to finally live out your goal with Raquez’s deceased body. But you couldn’t be satisfied. You chased his descendants across five hundred years, eventually across an ocean, and finally to a completely different world to slake you thirst for him…”

Blade spun around, trying to find the source of the voice. “Who are you? Show yourself!”

“I’m right behind you,” the voice said clearly, without a disguise.

Blade froze. She hadn’t heard that voice in five centuries. She slowly turned, trembling.

A second Raquez had appeared, this time in his true appearance, rather than the on he had on Earth. The silver marks on his chest and the backs of his hands sparkled despite the lack of a source of light. He wore the clothing he would have worn as a king in Perim, but with a distinct difference: his crown now carried six symbols, five for the tribes of Perim, and a gray hand as the sixth.

Upon seeing Blade shrink away from him, Raquez said, “I have no desire to harm you. I am a simple spirit among many, waiting for the time when all worlds finally enter paradise.” Raquez turned and began to fade away. “However, though our spirits wait in peace, our bodies may still want revenge…”

Blade screamed as a corpse’s hand suddenly latched around her ankle. She looked down and saw that a skeleton had grabbed her. The skeleton’s mouth opened, and a furious voice issued out of it: “My children never saw me. I died fifteen years ago in a car crash. Then you came and used my body to chase them.”

Other corpses were crawling towards Blade now, but only the first continued to talk. “Do you know who I am? I am Jennifer Evangel, wife of Seth Grey. I am the mother of Adam and Walter. I was the only human who ever called my youngest by his true name. My eldest son had to destroy my body beyond recognition to save my family from you.”

Blade tried to escape from the approaching corpses, but everywhere she turned there was another one.

Jennifer continued, “I am going to make you pay. We ALL will make you pay.”

“All except one,” Raquez’s corpse clarified, holding up the head of another corpse. Raquez had torn Blade’s corpse to pieces. “Hammer did warn you, you know. Even if I had agreed, it would be so easy for me to break you by mistake.” Raquez emphasized his point by crushing Blade’s corpse’s head with a single hand. Tossing the gory mess aside, he advanced on Blade’s spirit, saying, “And I think I’m about to make a LOT of mistakes right now.”

Blade screamed with pain and dread as she became buried in bodies, all swearing revenge…

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Here's a mini-chapter! Same story, different time.
    =====================================

Meteor Child: Chapter Zero, by Quazer

=====

Over a thousand solem ago, the OverWorlders of Perim believed that the sky told the story of the future. The _whole_ story. Stargazers would try to find patterns in the sky to predict the outcomes of battle, periods of famine, and even the birth of children.

Najarin, at the time a simple muge-in-training, stared out the open window at the night sky. Morcoz, king of the OverWorlders, wanted to know when his child would be born, as well as what he could expect from him or her. Najarin's master had assigned his with the task.

"Ferta, the mother star, draws closer and closer to Rega, the king star, each passing night," Najarin muttered, scribbling numbers on a sheet of parchment. "When they touch, Ferta's brother star will be visible... Besides the king star, Ferta will be closest to Haand, the friend star... Haand will align with Rega, Ferta, and Rox, the enemy star-"

A streak of light flashed in the sky, and Najarin paused. He had not seen a thing like this before. Of course, he hadn't been doing this sort of thing for very long- There went another! Soon, a large portion of the sky was filled with lines of light.

Najarin quickly measured the direction the lines went, scribbled a bit more...

"This is incredible!" he exclaimed as he gathered his parchment together and raced out of the room.

-----

Najarin burst into the healer's hut, papers escaping from his grip as he caught a healer's attention. "You really need to see this!"

"Can it wait?"

"No!" Najarin fumbled around for a scrap of parchment and unfolded it. "According to the stars, the king's son will be born soon-"

Another healer called from the far end of the hut, "The queen's child is coming!"

The first healer stared at Najarin in disbelief. No apprentice had ever been so accurate before. "Thank you. Please inform his majesty," he said as he hurried away.

-----

Not very long later, Najarin arrived back at the healer's hut well before the king. He was too excited by his correct prediction to remember the proper manners about this sort of thing, but the healers didn't pay it any mind.

"Her highness Halel wished to see you, Najarin," the head healer said while Najarin waited. Najarin was taken to the room where the Queen and her newborn son laid.

Najarin wasn't able to see the child, but he could see where the child was. The baby was swaddled in a white cloth, and the queen held the baby close to her chest. Najarin could hear a faint suckling sound from the baby as it nursed.

"So," Halel began, "you were the one who predicted my son's time of birth?"

Najarin blushed. "Yes, well, only moments before it happened."

"While in a tower half a city away," Halel added. "You have done very well."

Najarin smiled, bowed, and made as if to leave. Halel said, "Could you wait here a moment?"

Najarin stopped and turned around. The queen's face showed signs of worry, so he took a seat.

A while later, king Morcoz stepped into the room. Seeing the queen holding the baby. "You predicted well, Najarin. I'll be sure to tell your master about your accomplishment." He moved to kneel beside his wife. "May I hold him?"

Halel hesitated for a moment, then carefully held the baby out to her husband. Morcoz looked down at the baby, and his smile faltered. He reached down and unwrapped a bit of the swaddling around the baby.

The baby was a medium gray in color, very different from his mother and father's blue skin. His face jutted forward, and four horns, two from the top of his head and two from the sides of his jaw, barely protruded from his skin. The baby's arms and body were not the rounded shape a baby usually had. Instead, the his arms already showed signs of large, shapely muscles, and his chest and stomach had the shape of a creature who'd trained his muscles all his life. The skin on his chest and the back of his hands also bore a strange silver pattern.

Morcoz stared down at the tiny creature in his arms for a long time, a look of utter confusion on his face. In that time, the baby opened its eyes, which had the smallest bit of blue hue, and then yawned. The baby's mouth lacked any teeth at the front of its mouth, as normal, but razor-sharp teeth ran row the sides of the baby's gums.

Morcoz slowly placed the child into its mothers arm and unsteadily headed for the door. When he reached the doorway, he stopped and stood up straight. "Who is it?" he asked Najarin bitterly.

Najarin blinked, not understanding. "Who is what?"

Morcoz turned to Najarin, his eyes lit up with rage. "Who did she accept into her bed?" He turned to his wife. "Who is the father of that monster!? Was it a man 'selling his services'? Did you seduce one of the mountain-folk? Was he even an OverWorlder? Was he a Mipedian? A Danian? AN UNDERWORLDER? TELL ME!!!"

The baby began to cry, and Halel stroked its cheek and spoke softly to it.

Morcoz turned and stormed off. Najarin stared at the door for a while, then glanced at Halel and the baby. "Is he all right?"

Halel nodded, "He's okay..." After a pause, she said, "I never let another creature take me. You believe me, right?"

Najarin nodded. "When the falling stars raced across the sky, Ferta and Rega lined up with another star."

"Which one?"

"The star of difference. Raquez."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Meteor Child: Chapter One, by Quazer

===== (Many days later)

"What an unexpected pleasure!" the Mipedian exclaimed. "Please, come in!"

The Mipedian muge, Ocul, stepped away from his doorway to welcome his guests, King Morcoz and Queen Halel, as well as their young child, Raquez.

"Spare the formalities," Morcoz growled as he entered the room and stood in the corner. "I want to know who the father of that _thing_ is."

Halel glared at her husband as she sat down in a chair Ocul had brought her.

Ocul looked at the child in Halel's arms. "Is this the little prince I've heard so much about?" he asked.

Raquez opened his eyes and stared at the scaly creature looking at him. The baby grinned widely and gurgled incoherently.

Ocul crooned, "Yes, you are a cute little baby. Thank you for asking."

Halel smiled. However, Morcoz didn't find it amusing. "Quit wasting my time."

Ocul glanced up a the king. "I find it difficult to work with children who I haven't taken the time to get to know." Turning back to Raquez, he cooed, "You are a _big_ baby, no?"

Raquez giggled and reached up to the Mipedian. Ocul asked Halel, "May I hold him?"

Halel nodded, and Ocul carefully put his arms under the baby and lifted him up. Raquez squealed and grabbed Ocul's nose. The Mipedian laughed, "He has a strong grip!"

After a few seconds of getting Raquez to release his grip, Ocul sat down next to Halel. "I understand that the child's lineage is in question. Why have you come all to Mipedim Oasis? I'm sure you have ways-"

"The Mipedians have flawless ways of determining bloodlines," Morcoz interrupted. "I want there to be no mistakes."

Ocul nodded, "I see. I will need to make some preparations- oh!"

Raquez looked up at Ocul and smiled, drool dribbling out of his mouth. He had been entertaining himself by blowing bubbles with his saliva, and now the Mipedian's chest and stomach were wet.

Ocul grinned. "And now I also have to clean up! You made a big mess, oh yes you did."

-----

Raquez fidgeted as his mother held him in a sitting position facing the Mipedian muge. Ocul rolled a tiny ball of clay and lightly pressed it against the baby's forehead. When Ocul removed his finger, Raquez tried to rub the little spot of clay off.

Holding up a larger ball of clay, Ocul intoned, "The creatures of today hold pieces of the creatures of the past. As we search for the answers to our past, we look further and further within ourselves. Let this child's past be carved!"

The ball of clay in Ocul's hand lifted into the air, as well as the spot of clay on Raquez's forehead. The tiny lump of clay moved to rejoin with the larger, and the larger then split in two.

One half molded itself into an unclothed female figure; the other, a male. The female figure was shaped as Raquez's mother, Halel, her arms and hands covering her body. The male figure was the shape... of Morcoz, standing with arms folded over his chest.

Morcoz stared at the floating figures in disbelief. "This can't be. This child couldn't possibly be mine..."

"Strange things happen, your majesty," Ocul replied. "Like it or not, your blood is in his veins."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Meteor Child: Chapter Two, by Quazer

===== (Several solem later)

Morcoz grudgingly accepted that Raquez was his son, but did little beyond that. He avoided contact with Raquez, and began to leave home for the majority of the day. Over time, Morcoz stayed away longer and longer until eventually it came to the point where he would go missing for days at a time.

This particular day marked the sixth day in a row since anyone had seen Morcoz, and Halel had taken it upon herself to find him. Raquez was now twenty solem old (humans may be more familiar with "ten years old"), and thus was trusted alone at home for a while.

Raquez stood on his hands and knees underneath a large table, his wings touching the surface above. In his mind's eye, the floor had become a large ocean, and his ship was setting sail.

"It be a fine day for sailing, captain!" Raquez cheered. "Not a cloud in the sky, a full wind in our sails... I say we be at shore long before nightfall!"

Raquez scooted sideways and adopted a captain's voice, "Still thy tongue! Know ye not that the ocean is a harsh lady? Thine words may tempt her to set a serpent upon us, or worse!"

Raquez scooted over again. "What be that on the horizon, on the starboard side? Me thinks I see black sails. Could it be the dreaded pirate Kor-bek?"

Raquez scooted over once more and mimed looking through a spyglass. "It is Kor-bek! Ready the cannons! The Scourge of the Sea is upon us!"

Raquez scurried and hid behind a large chair. In a throaty voice, he taunted, "Hear my name and fear me, OverWorld vessel! I am Kor-bek! Scourge of the Seas! He who dyes the waters red! I will-"

Raquez heard his mother and father approaching the door and fell silent. They were speaking in raised, angry voices. Halel stepped into the room mid-sentence:

"-came in to see you doing THAT! Is that all you had been doing for six days?"

Morcoz stopped at the doorway. His face was flushed, and his skin was completely soaked with sweat. His breath smelled of strong drink. He only wore a pair of thin shorts, which, considering that unlike the rest of his body they were NOT soaking wet, appeared to have been put on recently. "Please, listen to me," he said, not quite begging, but not ordering either, "It's not what you think-"

Halel's face turned an impressive shade of violet. "It very much IS what I think it is! What else could it be!? Fifty creatures, male and female! Clothing tossed aside! OverWorlders, UnderWorlders, Mipedians, even Danians! When I walked in, there were THREE creatures sitting on your-"

"Enough!" Morcoz interrupted. In the resulting silence, Morcoz stepped forward in an attempt to intimidate. From where he was hiding, Raquez could now see the "love bites" on his father's neck, arms, and chest. Morcoz spoke in an attempt to be calm, "You don't understand. I was being forced to-"

"Being forced? HA! You were having the time of your life!" Halel was shouting so much that flecks of saliva flew from her mouth as she spake. "I had a few words with those three, your 'closest friends'. Very close friends indeed! The Danian, he informed me that you've been 'playing' with him for THIRTY SOLEM!"

Morcoz leaned forward. "Silence," he hissed.

Halel scoffed, "And the UnderWorlder lady... I thought you didn't like UnderWorlders, but apparently dealing with them is PERFECTLY FINE IF YOU'RE GOING TO-"

Morcoz roared, "I said SILENCE!"

Halel raised her voice over her husband's. "Do you know what the Mipedian told me? She told me when the last time you met her was. On the very day you took Raquez and I to the Mipedim Oasis, the day you were trying to prove the _I_ was the one being unfaithful, you came to the house where she lived with her family, and, with both her AND her husband, you-"

Morcoz whipped his hand up and slapped Halel's face. "You will not speak to me in that manner!" He grabbed Halel's face, covering her nose and mouth, and pushed her against the wall. Halel struggled and tried to push his hand off. Morcoz stomped forward and pressed his body flat against Halel. "You will never speak to anyone of that, or of this," Morcoz threatened as he pressed his body harder into Halel's. "I'm going to teach you a lesson you'll never forg-"

Raquez sprang from his hiding place behind the nearby chair. "Don't you DARE hurt my mother!" he bellowed, his eyes shining red.

A crimson glow surrounded Morcoz, and he was lifted into the air and thrown backwards, landing heavily on his back. He lifted his body off of the ground and growled, "You son of-"

"Psychodrain!" Raquez shouted. The air around Morcoz crackled, and Morcoz's arms and legs collapsed underneath him.

Morcoz grunted, "When I get my hands on you, I'm going to pummel your-"

Raquez pointed his hand in his father's face. "Timeslow! Fear Extension! Mindsink!"

The combined force of those attacks lifted Morcoz off the ground and slammed him into the far wall, which cracked under the strain. Morcoz crumbled to the ground, out cold.

The glow in Raquez's eyes faded, and he staggered to the side. "Momma... are you okay?" he asked before he collapsed.

After catching her breath, Halel stepped over to Raquez, carefully picked him up, and left the house with a second glance.

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Meteor Child: Chapter Three, by Quazer

===== (Many solem later)

"Again."

Raquez swung his sword in a wide overhead arc. His opponent lifted his own sword to block the strike and knock it away. Both creatures withdrew to their original positions.

"Your blows are too obvious, Raquez. Too much time passes before you begin and end your attack. Again."

Raquez stepped forward and swung again. The blade rushed through the air- and bounced off the opponent's sword.

Raquez's opponent took a step backwards and removed his mask. "Always the same thing, over and over again. Everything you do, you tell with your body. You consistently give up any element of surprise you have." The teacher completed his speech by thrusting the blunted point of his sword against Raquez's armored chest with enough force to knock him over. "Today's lesson is over."

-----

King Raquez. That was his official title, now. At the young age of thirty-five solem (seventeen and a half years). Raquez had been crowned three solem earlier.

When the story of Morcoz's actions had reached the general populace, their collective voice demanded that somebody else lead the tribe. Halel had taken the position until Raquez's rite of adulthood had been completed. A few creatures were displeased that Raquez held the throne, but they kept their displeasure to themselves.

Speaking of Morcoz, today marked the fourteenth solem since he'd been banished. Halel had dissolved their union after taking power, and she declared that he wasn't welcome in the OverWorld anymore.

-----

Raquez sat down outside his instructor's house and removed his own mask. His guards waited patiently as he leaned against the stone wall and closed his eyes, taking breaths. He muttered, "Day after day, it's, 'Swing, parry, thrust. Your body declares your mind's intentions. Overcome your weakness.' It's exhausting."

The guard closest to Raquez said, "You must learn, your majesty. Wars are fought, not waited out."

"I _know_ it's training for a possible battle," Raquez grunted as he stood, "but what use is a fight if it doesn't solve anything?"

Sounding confused, the guard replied, "It gets rid of the problem."

Raquez snorted and turned away. "Only by creating a bigger one."

Raquez was about to head off when a small creature shouted, "Your majesty! UnderWorlders at the south gate!"

-----

The chief of the UnderWorlders sat on a raised platform held up by four enormous creatures. A line of soldiers stood between their chief and Raquez.

The OverWorld guards stood in front of Raquez and faced the UnderWorld soldiers, spears held threateningly. "You are trespassing on OverWorld soil!" the lead guard shouted.

One of the UnderWorld soldiers stepped forward and spoke, "Our Lord Hakosho, chief of the Jagged Edge of the UnderWorld, wishes to speak with your king."

"Crawl back to your caves," the guard answered. "We don't want your kind-"

"Enough foolishness," Raquez stated. "Withdraw."

The lead guard turned to Raquez and said incredulously, "You can't be serious, your majesty! Do you really mean to SPEAK with these barbarians?"

Raquez's eyes flashed with light, and the lead guard lifted into the air and flew backwards, landing on his back quite a distance behind Raquez. The remainder of the guards quickly backed away.

Chief Hakosho stood up from his seat on his platform and asked, "_You_ are the king of the OverWorld tribe?" Hakosho's metal armor caught the light of the sun as he spoke, casting brilliant reflections of light in every direction.

Raquez answered, "Yes, I am."

Hakosho laughed. "For a moment I thought my eyes were decieving me! It feels as if I am speaking to my own kin!"

Raquez grinned. "Yes, my appearance has created widespread confusion at times." Raquez stepped forward and asked, "Would you step down so we can speak equally?"

Kakosho's smile slid away. "I cannot trust that you and your guardians would allow me to speak. You yourself are equipped for battle."

Raquez remembered that he was still wearing his training armor and sword. He noted, "As are all the creatures you brought. However, unlike us, you had to pass through potentially dangerous lands. If it would make you feel more at ease..." Raquez stepped back and loosed the swords scabbard, letting it fall to the ground. He did the same with his armor, leaving him wearing only a simple pair of leggings.

The UnderWorlders stared in awe as Raquez stepped forward again. The soldiers whispered to each other, "He has the confidence to approach an army without a weapon or his guard."

Raquez stopped at a point halfway between the OverWorlders and UnderWorlders and waited. After a moment's hesitation, Hakosho ordered, "Set us down."

"Us" turned out to be the chief and one of his daughters. As the large creatures carrying the platform carefully set it down, Hakosho turned and whispered something to his daughter. When they were on the ground, Hakosho made a point of removing his armor and weapons as well before walking up to speak with Raquez. Unlike Raquez, the UnderWorld chief still wore royal garb.

Raquez chuckled, "See? That wasn't hard?"

Hakosho had to force himself not to smile. "Now for this 'visit's' reason. Bring the prisoner!"

A couple soldiers dragged a creature next to their chief. Hakosho handed Raquez a roll of parchment, saying, "Written here are the crimes this creature has commited in my land. He claims to be an OverWorlder, and demanded that an OverWorld king pass sentence."

Raquez unrolled the scroll and read. His eyes grew wide. "He's been... busy," he muttered.

The prisoner looked up when he heard Raquez's voice. "Wh-what? No! Not this one! Any of the kings but him!"

Raquez stared at the prisoner. The creature's long, unkempt hair, bloodshot eyes, and thin body were not enough to keep Raquez from recognizing him. Raquez's eyes began to glow red, and the scroll crumbled in his grip.

He opened his mouth and growled, "Hello, father."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Meteor Child: Chapter Four, by Quazer

=====

Hakosho looked back and forth between Raquez and the prisoner in shock. "Your father?"

Raquez's hands began to shake. "Yes," he growled, "that's my father."

The UnderWorld chief stepped back in alarm. "My apologies... I didn't- We didn't-"

Raquez's furious voice suddenly became eerily calm. "No need, sir," Raquez spoke, a false smile plastered to his face. "You have done no wrong." Turning to his guards, Raquez ordered, "Prepare a room for me to speak privately with the UnderWorld chief."

The bewildered OverWorld guards hurried to obey. Raquez turned to the UnderWorlders and invited, "Go ahead in. I will be with you in a moment." He turned to the prisoner, his father, and growled, "I have matters that need to be dealt with."

Morcoz shrank backwards. The soldiers guarding him handed Raquez the chains and, with amused expressions on their faces, followed their chief into the city.

Raquez's eyes were once again glowing fiercely. "Look at me," he demanded. "Look in my eyes."

-----

Morcoz stared in terror at his son. Even if Morcoz had been standing straight, his head would barely reach Raquez's chest.

"Say my name," Raquez ordered.

Morcoz's mouth moved inaudibly.

Raquez's eyes flared. "I said, 'Say my name'."

Morcoz whispered, "Raquez."

"Who am I?" Raquez growled.

"Raquez," Morcoz repeated.

"LOUDER!"

"Raquez!"

Raquez narrowed his eyes. "Stand up."

Morcoz struggled to stand. As soon as he did, Raquez shoved him back to the ground. "Stand up," he repeated.

Morcoz stood again, bracing himself. Raquez pushed him to the ground again. "Bow."

Morcoz hurried to bow at Raquez's feet.

Raquez ordered, "Tell me again: Who am I?"

Morcoz sobbed, "You are Raquez, King of the Eastern Plains."

Raquez roared and grabbed Morcoz, throwing him backwards. Raquez raised his hands towards the sky, the symbols on his hands and chest glowing. A large object began to fall from the sky towards Morcoz. He screamed and covered his head with his arms.

Morcoz waited for a long time before opening his eyes. He was unharmed. Morcoz looked backwards and saw a large crater not very far behind him.

Raquez roared, "WHO AM I?! TELL ME WHO I AM!"

Morcoz stared at Raquez, finally comprehending his son's words. "You are my son," he finally said.

The red light in Raquez's eyes dimmed reaching down and grabbing the chain that bound his father, he said, "Come, father. I have a world to save."

Raquez's shift in tone jarred Morcoz. "How are you going to save a world?"

Raquez answered, "If I need to, the same way I just saved you."

Morcoz contemplated this as he followed Raquez. Here he stood, dressed in rags, filthy, and in chains. Yet somehow, after saying those simple words: 'You are my son', a small bit of the darkness in his mind had lifted.

-----

Raquez entered the gates of the city and found that the UnderWorld chief's daughter was waiting there. "I honestly thought that he was going to die," she said in a surprised tone. "Why did you let him live?"

Raquez answered using a phrase that he would repeat time and time again; a phrase that all who knew him remembered him by:

"A victory by blood is not a victory, because everyone has lost."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Meteor Child: Chapter Five, by Quazer

===== (A few solem later)

"Okay," Raquez whispered to himself, "deep breaths. No losing your nerve here. You stood face to face with the Queen of the Danians. You've survived meeting hordes of UnderWorlders without ever drawing blood. You've even taken down a Mipedian Warbeast all by yourself.

"This is no different than any of those. Well, it is, but just do what you do best. Walk in, listen, speak when needed-"

Halel interrupted, "Son, are you talking to yourself?"

Raquez blushed. "Yes, I am." He fiddled with the bracelets on his arms. "Do I really need to wear all this?" he asked, gesturing at the elaborate clothing he wore.

Halel scolded, "Raquez, we've spoken about this!" She sighed, "You messed it all up," and began to realign the jewelry Raquez had to wear.

"Yes, I know it's tradition," Raquez squirmed as his mother re-centered the pendants over his chest, "but it isn't exactly OverWorld tradition-"

"Shh! It's time!"

Raquez stood straight, his outlandish outfit no longer the center of his attention. Two servants pulled aside the flaps of the tent, and Raquez took a careful step out.

A crowd of creatures waited outside, both OverWorld and UnderWorld. Raquez fought the urge to turn around and run back as the crowd separated, creating a path for him to take. A ways to Raquez's right, the crowd was separating for another creature.

Both paths led to a set of steps that allowed access to raised platform. On the top of the platform was two creatures: an OverWorld priest, and Hakosho, chief of the Jagged Edge of the UnderWorld. In many other circumstances, Raquez would be standing right beside the UnderWorld chief. Not this time.

Raquez stepped up to the raised platform and was greeted by the OverWorld priest. "How are you doing?" the priest asked.

"Terrified," Raquez answered.

Hakosho greeted the other creature as she came up. Pride shone on the chief's face as he said, "You are a very brave woman, Khaya."

Khaya merely bowed and answered, "Thank you, father."

Raquez and Khaya stood side by side as Hakosho began his speech to the crowd. Khaya reached for Raquez's hand and held it, saying, "What's the matter, your majesty? You look pale."

Raquez chuckled, "Because I'm gray, right? No, actually... well..."

Khaya giggled, "You will need to get used to speaking with me. After all, tell me who I am."

Raquez grinned. "You are Khaya, daughter of Hakosho, and my soon-to-be wife."

Khaya pressed, "And...?"

Raquez added as he faced the crowd, "And our marriage will help both our nations to have peace."

Khaya smiled, then leaned forward and pressed her li.ps to Raquez's cheek.

-----

Everyone had something to say to the new couple: One creature said, "You two look made for each other!" Another said to Khaya, "***, would anyone have believed it thirty solem ago if I said that you would marry an OverWorld king?"

One came to Raquez and asked, "What are you planning on naming your first child?"

Raquez did a double take, blushed, and said, "Th-there aren't any children on the way, yet."

Khaya laughed and slid her arm around Raquez's waist. "Of course, we could speak about names _now_, right?"

Raquez smiled and put his hand on Khaya's shoulder. "Well then-"

-----

The crowd, the party, all of it faded from Raquez's vision in an instant. Raquez looked around and saw creature standing to his left. The creature looked just like him.

The other-Raquez was holding a small, blue creature in his arms. Except for the color and lack of wings, the baby looked like Raquez. Other Raquez tickled the baby under the chin and crooned, "Are you a tired little baby, Kiru? Hah hah, Khaya, look!"

The little baby had grabbed other-Raquez's finger. Before the vision faded from the present Raquez's sight, he managed to see a black symbol on the back of the child's right hand...

-----

"...Kiru. His name will be Kiru."

=====
    monkeymania1
    monkeymania1
    Ultra Rare

Post by monkeymania1 Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Meteor Child: Chapter Six, by Quazer

===== (Many solem later)

The sun had recently gone under the horizon. The streets were almost empty, save for a few creatures who preferred the dark.

One figure on the road looked particularly out of place. He wore a large black cloak that completely disguised his appearance, not letting the smallest bit of skin be seen. He walked quickly through the streets, not sparing a glance to anyone he passed.

The figure stopped at a large building directly in the middle of the city. He strode up to the door and knocked.

A young voice from inside answered, "Go away. Can't you tell it's nighttime?"

The cloaked figure spoke, "I'm here to speak with the Meteor Lord."

After a bit of silence, the young voice ordered, "Name the tribes of Perim."

The figure replied, "There is but one tribe, and her name is 'Everyone'."

There was a sound of a lock being unlatched, and the door opened. A blue creature was behind it. "Well said. Please come in."

The figure stepped in and bowed. "You must be Prince Kiru."

"You are correct. What is your name?"

The figure raised his hands to remove his hood. "My name is Azu."

Kiru stared at Azu's right hand. "Interesting," he muttered. Then he said aloud, "I will tell my father about your arrival."

-----

Raquez entered the room a while later. "Good evening. When my son told me a 'human' had come, I have to admit I was expecting Crellen."

Azu raised an eyebrow. "You've met humans before?"

"I have," Raquez answered. "I first met them around four solem ago."

"Let me guess," Azu said, "there were seven of them?"

"Correct. But enough with the idle speech. I believe you had a reason to see me?"

"There was, actually." Azu slipped a silver object out of his cloak. "I was going to ask-"

Raquez smiled and nodded. "Crellen asked the same thing." An odd look appeared on his face. "Now that I think about it, he, and the others, said something a little odd. Something about how they 'wanted to see inside the mind of the person who saved them'. When I asked what they was talking about, they told me that it hadn't happened yet."

Azu looked thoughtful. "They didn't tell your their real names, did they?"

Raquez grinned. "So you know. Those seven humans claimed no memory of their real names. The only 'name' of theirs I remember is Crellen's. He introduced himself as 'Hammer'."

=====

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:42 am